Hard to start after trailer ride

samy

Hello,

i've had my 2010 Sherco 250 for a short while now and i thought i'd post up to see if anyone had any tips or hints on getting the ******* to start. Once it's been started it runs beautiful and starts easily. If however i take it on a ride in the trailer to a trial or i lay the bike on it's side with the engine off it takes FOREVER to get started again, about 30-40 kicks. I was wondering if anyone with the same bike had this problem?

I have been told that its because it doesn't have a fuel tap but today i killed the engine, laid the bike over on it's side on the end of the handlebar to race over to rescue a mate who had a big off. I walked back to the bike 3 minutes later, picked it up and it took 20 kicks to get going and then it ran terribly and took half a minute to clear the engine of excess fuel. Yesterday i had small stack, the bike was upside down on the side of a hill so i killed the engine, picked it up and coasted to the bottom and again, took 15 kicks to get it going...

Is it just a Sherco thing?

cheers

Edited by Samy

Trailers shake, bounce and vibrate the bike much more than if its in the back of a vehicle. All that force combined with the head pressure of a tank of gas will overwhelm your carb fuel valve(fuel needle & seat),and as a result, The bike will flood. When you tipped the bike over, the bike also flooded. You need a fuel petcock. Make sure its closed when you trailer.

Install a way to shut off the gas and you should be OK. If not, before you trailer, run the bike for a short while with the fuel off, and use up the fuel in the line and lower the level in the bowel a bit.

If you flood the bike - it helps to turn off the gas, remove the plug and kick it, If its really bad, turn it upside down and kick it to get all the gas out of the crankcase.

I have a 2011 250 sherco

its the only bike I have ever had that starts first kick form cold every time, either at home or at the trial. I think you may need to clean the fuel valve out, perhaps the float is sticking ?

you can fit an in line fuel tap, I have one but only use it when removing the carb to clean it.

My technique for starting a flooded bike. NO choke. Hold throttle WIDE open and kick. should only take a few kicks, less than 10, but usually like 3 or 4.

Good luck with that when there's a cup of gas in the crankcase. Trailering with a open petcock and a full tank of gas can filler up good.

Seen some them trailers where the bike basically sits on the skidplate. Shaking must be horrid!

As Ormplus says, even a 50p c-clamp will work. If your ck valves and needle have gunk in them, they need a cleaning.! :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

Had it happen too on long trailer rides. Without a petcock the bouncing allows more fuel in. Best to install some sort of petcock or do as we do on long trips, squeeze the line off with smooth jawed vise grips. As mentioned when flooded, hold wide open with no choke.

Errr what Tony said +1

Thanks for the replies gents.

I was warned by the Gas Gas brigade that Sherco's have trouble starting and such due to the fuel pump but i thought it was from lack of fuel not from too much ;)

I will give the full throttle no choke trick a go, i have found that it started sooner with no choke but i havn't tried full throttle. As i previously mentioned, it seems easy to flood as 60 seconds with the engine off and on it's side it floods. My mate has a 2011 sherco 250 and he has complained of the same thing however twice this week he pulled it off his trailer after a 1 hr drive and it started first to 3rd kick. He did say however that he kicked it over and warmed it up right before he put it on the trailer. After riding for an hour or two at my property i can put it in the shed then pull it out the next day and it starts within several kicks.

Either way i'm not bothered tooooooo much as the bike runs beautiful once you get it going. You just look like a tool at a trial in the carpark when it takes 200 kicks to get it started. :)

cheers

Edited by Samy

the whole sherco tank in airbox place and vice versa is a mystery to me as the airfilter doesnt work that well anyway!

I would comment that the 2012 has an in-line tap so draw your own conclusions.

If the tank is more than about 1/4 full it doesnt need the pump mostly anyway, another mystery.

What may help is to establish the float level is right and the needle valve is all working as it should. Dellortos were always good when I leaned mine over although the bowl may be overfilled this should not translate into non starting. If laid over for a minute or two try 2 different techniques first no throttle then full open?