Bad Experience.....

fish06

I've had to think very carefully about this post, but I think it's a valid topic. I've had/am having a bad experience with a very well know dealer of trials bikes, basically I bought a twinshock bike off him and unfortunately it turned out to be nothing like as described, I gave said dealer the benefit of the doubt and he promised to put things right, great I thought. It's now 8 months later and despite many promises (which I have in emails I've kept) I've still received nothing. I've had to pay for everything myself and have received not a penny of recompense (despite more promises), I'm now over £700 out of pocket.

Now please don't think I'm starting some ill founded campaign against somebody, I'm not (I do have proof of everything I've said), I just want what's right and what I was promised, please note I've not named said dealer, I should point out that this dealer did quite well out myself as I've spent £10k with him on twinshocks.

If anybody has any constructive ideas I'd welcome them as this experience has left a seriously bad taste, which is a shame as every other dealer I've used has been very good.

There are numerous laws to protect the buyer, citizens advice may be a start, or even a solicitor if necessary. A friend of mine was recently sold a real pup and the seller (a reputable car dealer) told him "you bought it - your problem". Little did he know my friend has three County Court Judges as clients who he gets on with very well, one phone call did the job lol.

I know there are lots who feel a forum like this is a great place to get back at people who you feel did you wrong... but I don't see how naming and shaming gets you anything. You will probably just get more stress and create bad feelings with anybody who has had good experiences with the dealer, you just get caught up in defending what you posted. If you have a valid complaint take it through a valid process as that is the only way to get any sort of recourse... p****** the dealer off by posting on here or standing outside his shop with a protest sign really isn't going to warm him up to doing you any favours. If you get a legal settlement and it does not involve keeping it private you could decide to share at that point so people know how to proceed in the future.

I have seen situations like this on other forums where it ended with the forum admin removing the post so a bunch of bad blood was stirred up all for nothing (which did not make anyone happy). If it does go to court and you lose will you want the tables to be flipped by the dealer suing you for knowingly tarnished the dealers reputation

This of course is just my opinion... I am not a dealer and I don't even live in your part of the world... opinions are like ass holes - we all have them :).

• Like 4

My two cents from being on both sides. Being a twin shock it is old. The 700 was parts? Or labor included? (Labor really does not count, it is old) The world is tough. Easy enough to shame by word of mouth. One way or another you will be banned on the net. Hope it is running well now.

Sorry, but I have little pity for those that buy old stuff. There are no crystal balls here, and obviously he looked at it, you looked at it, you liked it and bought it.

Baring intentional deceit, that is how it is unless you spent the big bucks for a total minted unit which cost a bit(lot)more!

Because of the lack of details, it's not easy to cast an opinion, however, if you believe that you have a valid complaint under the sale of goods act, then you could either contact Trading Standards or take the case to a small claims court.

Prior to doing either, write to the dealer politely explaining your side of the situation and ask them what they suggest to conclude a positive outcome.

Depending on their reply you could then seek legal advice and decide on what course of action to take.

Edit: At this stage do not name and shame!

Edited by ourian

Hi fish06.

This is from experience . First off you are right not to name any one .If thing's get nasty you could influence the out come by doing so.

You have right's!Despite what people think even if you buy new , second hand or old , you are being sold a product by a VAT paying outlet.

If the advert says anything like "Excellent condition" "Like new" "Perfect in every way" "Mint" ( you get the jist) then you have a leg to stand on.

Even if the add don't say those thing's you have consumer right's for 90 day's on a product's that isn't new.Call him and talk,go and see him . Be firm don't threaten . If he try's to give you the bike back , don't accept it unless it's fit to use and you know the problem's have been resolved. If there's no joy seek legal advise and let him know by letter (sent recorded delivery ) what you are going to do . Don't be fobbed off.Don't argue ,don't threaten,make sure in no uncertain way he know's what you are going to do if the problem isn't resolved.

Keep us posted.

Ted.

For my ten pence worth and I have experience from both sides of the argument.

Write to the dealer outlining what was said when you bought it and what was agreed in the purchase price.

Give him a period- say 14 days to reply by letter after which you are going to take legal advice and speak to trading standards.

Your real protection is the sale of goods act ( check the net) which defines " fit for purpose" .

I would personally take the bike back to him outlining your problems and give him a chance to rectify them as agreed/ stated at point of sale.

Sadly after that it's small claims court !!!

Check and see if he has any other comments/complaints on the net.

Don't name and shame until anything is proven as this won't help anything.

Hope you get it sorted.

The wobbler

Had a similar experience buying of a 31 year old trials bike but no where near as bad.

I should mention I'm happy working on old vehicles and have a reasonable mechanical ability. I'm sure this helps in these kind of situations.

Bought it blind with only the pictures to go on. I could have made the effort and driven all day there and back to view it but after talking to the dealer I decided the long drive wasn't really worth it.

We'd had a few conversations and I had made myself clear that the price was about right but only if the bike was in good ready to trial condition. To reassure me the seller said he'd get it out and have his mechanic to start it up and check it over.

He assured me all was tip top with only some clutch drag letting it down. We had a deal and payment was sent and the bike delivered.

Overall it was a nice honest bike but starting it up on my driveway I wasn't 100% sure it was running great. I took it for some practice and all defiantly wasn't right. Once warm it was clear it was suffering from an air leak. I was worried it was crank seals.

Once home I started by taking the carb apart and found it well worn and the inlet rubber hard. I contacted the seller letting him know I was less than happy and he agreed to send me a new carb although he didn't include the inlet rubber I thought we'd agreed on. His carb arrived a couple of days later. I bought an inlet rubber and fitted both and it ran really nice. Crank seals were fine.

I set about fixing the horrible clutch. I drained the oil and it looked disgusting. Disappointing he hadn't at least changed the oil giving the clutch was playing up. For the price of a bottle of oil and 20 mins of his mechanics time it would have been a nice gesture even if it hadn't have fixed it. I gave it a flush through to clean all the sludge out.

I bought some new plates, gave them the "Beta" fix and a good pre-soak. Once fitted the bike was trial ready and at last fit for purpose.

The moral here is always inspect before buying or don't buy.

• Like 1

Well thank you all for the replies, this was never going to be a naming and shaming exercise, nor was it a way to get back at a dealer by running him down over the internet, All I want is what I was promised, I consider that to be fair.

I bought the bike in question as " restored and ready to ride" it was far from that. The only parts from the engine I've kept are the reed valve and inlet rubber, for the most part the rest is scrap. The wheels had been rebuilt with new rims, however there was no provision for rim locks so I'll have to remove tires/tubes etc and drill the rims for locks. The bottom engine mounts were broken off and painted over, sorry but not my idea of a restoration.

The dealer promised to provide me with a new engine, so I decided to take the other problems on the chin and fix them myself. The promised engine never materialised nor did any other form of recompense, I think in common parlance I've been "ripped off", very disappointing. I've bought 6 bikes off this dealer this year and I feel a little loyalty was perhaps in order, obviously not, which is a pity because I would have bought more bikes from him in the future, but not now.

As some of you have indicated I think my next step is a visit to trading standards and possibly the small claims court ( I never expected this to get that far).

Thanks for your advice and comments, a lesson learned I think.

I would still take it back & leave it with him giving him an opportunity to rectify the problems - then if he doesn't - the trading standards route will be easier - if not he has rights too and that includes the opportunity to fix / rectify the problems.

Again "sale of goods act" - but it's there to protect the seller & the buyer ....... Good luck.

The wobbler.