Sigh Of Relief...

caddy4u

Hi there. I was recently bought a 2015 montesa repsol for my 18th (extremely lucky I know), so since then, me and the thing have been inseparable, every spare minute was spent practicing (again extremely lucky to be living on a Lake District rocky farm). I went to my first trial today, and as I have been training with a seasoned rider, I followed him with my van. I got there and set up and decided to do the easy route and ride round with him (who was not doing the easy route)... I got to the first section and walked round it and decided it was fairly easy and certainly looked a lot simpler than what I tackled at home, returned to my bike, kicked it up and joined the queue. I was shaking and nervous. Needless to say I fived it. This set the tone for a very bad first lap (only one clear I think?), when we returned to the vans after the lap I 'had a word with myself' and then settled in, I then feel I produced a very credible ride for the next 3 laps (yet to see the results, but can count 15 cleans in my head!). I even found myself enjoying it with no nerves, just a focus on the job. I was worried about the trial as I thought I would turn up and people would judge my bike and then see how hopeless I was and immediately right me off for a spoilt kid, however th opposite couldn't have been more true, I found everyone dead helpful etc and can only say thank you to the trials community for breeding such a non-judgemental sport, having played a few this sport is a real sigh of relief... Spent the whole day with a smile on my face (apart from the first lap, losing my exhaust guard and then burning a hole through my pants and leg as a result)!

• Like 9

Well done getting the first trial out of the way, I am yet to do mine although I have been riding trials a while now.

No harm in having a nice new bike, you sound like you appreciate it and don't have the attitude to match the typical spoilt kid stereotype (mainly found at the MX track, in my opinion). I'm also jealous you have your own practice ground! Some pics of your shiney new bike are always welcome too

Wow you have walked in so many of our shoes. Great post! Trials is a very personal struggle. I've been riding 31 years and I still get those first lap jitters. At the end of the day you are just out there to have a great time? If you lose focus on that you will be miserable. Find a way to relax and enjoy that ride!!! You have the Team WGASA spirit.

--Biff

I set flags out at home which is why i couldn't understand it! Think it was just the pressure of all the people watching but I also thought I was used to that from rugby. Oh well, probably something I'll just have to get used to...

Sorry for being stupid and thank you for your reply, but what is WGASA???

Sorry for being stupid and thank you for your reply, but what is WGASA???

Not stupid, you just lack information.  But you have the spirit of WGASA.

Sounds like you are enjoying that new bike quite a bit.  Keep having fun.

Pretty sure I've seen the meaning of WGASA as Who Gives A S--- Anyway, sounds like they take things really seriously   :hyper:

tony27 you have the definition perfect.  The whole WGASA spirit is based on having fun.  When you go riding did you have fun?  Did you place in the top three.......doesn't matter because Who Gives A S--- Anyways.

If you dont understand wgasa none of us do its an american thing (see hes from michigan)

Yea us Americans are a fun lot.

Edited by zippy
  • Like 3

So the results are in and are reasonably encouraging. I wasn't where I want to be, but if I can get rid of my 35 point first lap I'd be in a much better position. Hoping for a better start next week! Thanks for all your replies!

• Like 1

Trials has a really low bar to start with imo. (well you need to buy a bike). But especcially at the ''low'' level the people are very nice. I must say on higher level this isnt always the case, but thats with a lot of (top)sports.

Oy yeah, and get us a picture with a helmet on as avatar! ;)

Edited by crazybond700