07 Beta 270 Or 07 Gasgas 300!help!

07betarev3

After reading all this Gasser slagging I have to agree and I ride an 06 lol. However all of my breakages have been due to me crashing. I ride 2-3 times a week in the Summer practicing and the odd trial and I normally stack badly on every occasion lol. My list of problems on my 06 are,

- Had to get the mid box mounts all welded (twice)

- Both foot peg brackets snapped off and welded back on

- Base Gasket went after a month of riding

But I have had none of the normal design fault gearbox problems etc.

A few hours spent in the shed each week soon sorts out the problems so Il keep riding gassers.

Iv had an 01 and 03 Rev 3 and they were very reliable, but after having ago on an 06 270 last month they feel like riding a tank. However it does not matter what bike you ride as all of them are as capabale as each other. You just need to spend a few hours on the bike to get used it it etc. After that your old bike will feel awful lol.

Cheers

Tony

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By my experience, all 4 yrs of it and my familys 20 yrs of national sidear competition and multiple manx 2 day wins. Fantic 301 , dont laugh, best bike i have had by far learnt my trade on it and wish i still had it.

Montesa 01 excellent general maintenace but nowt else.

Gasgas 04 250 good clutch and exhaust snapping welded up between back and centre box no probs. Gasgas 05 250.

At this point you may wish to get comfy, 3 month old bit of steel gets into engine, dunno how, full rebuild, month later barrel bolt/stud snapped over heated badly in trial wrecked barrel another rebuild, exhaust snapping, water pump siezed twice, thermostats 2 of, clutch master cylinder 2 of, iris chain of standard stretched within 2 trials. dont think i dont maintain bikes anall airbox evry ride, carb 1 a month, greased and lubed kept tidy money no issue if it needed it it got it.

Beta Rev 3 05 got it jan 06 after being used for the manx 2 day only cost me more in chain tensioner rubbers than other parts im now just doing fork seals but i aint gonna cry over that :rolleyes: but in all an excellent bike even my mates 05 has been excelllent for him.

I would get another but my kid sis has the 125 4 strk scorpa i love it too so, eagerly, im awaiting the 250 f scorpa after they have ironed out the bugs within a yr or so and when the moths in me wallet have receeded. :beer:

I have no beef with the gasser by far the best bike to ride but too expensive to maintain Beta is a different matter.

Hope my waffling could be of assistance to any body purchasing bikes.

If in doubt Beta all the way.

Warby, pretty much sums it up, just what I think, great bikes to ride and by far the best trials bikes in my opinion, but not to good on holding together and can be prone to the major breakdowns. Betas very reliable, hardly ever a major breakdown but not quite as nice to ride as the Gasser.

Chain pads? yer done two now and a tensioner arm, I can live with that and the few loose bolts. Sure I will be tempted back to a gasser in the next couple of years and deep down I know i will regret it

I might be moving to a Beta, couple of questions. There's no doubt that some of the bolts work loose, I've seen it on several Beta's, do any of you lock-tight them in and if so does it work? Also, do you all need to turn the petrol off every time you stop? I've seen lots of Beta's with this problem.

I might be moving to a Beta, couple of questions. There's no doubt that some of the bolts work loose, I've seen it on several Beta's, do any of you lock-tight them in and if so does it work? Also, do you all need to turn the petrol off every time you stop? I've seen lots of Beta's with this problem.

Loose bolts? It depends on the model year I suppose, my bikes suffered from: -

2004 - Kickstart bolt, gear lever bolt, foot peg bracket bolts, front disk bolts, sidestand bolts

2005 - Foot peg bracket bolts, front disk bolts, sidestand bolts, middle box to frame bolt

2006 - Foot peg bracket bolts, sidestand bolts

I tried loctite on the 04 bike and it didn't make much difference! Maybe the bolt holes were a tad slack...

Prevention is better than an emergency bodge miles from anywhere :huh:

The Mikuni carb on the Beta's are ***** for losing fuel but, they don't need to be constantly messed with to get the bike to run right. I've seen Drach check his fuel tap 10+ times before riding into a section :rolleyes:

OPTIONS

1) Get into the habit of turning the fuel off and more importantly, get into the habit of turning it back on again!

2) Send the carb to JLI's for their

No, they all come with Mikuni carbs but 9 out of 10 prefer to p*** fuel out. They tend to do it when laid against a banking (laid on the right more than the left). The really bad ones leak while the engine is running and you're facing downhill :) Even if you get a bad one, the carb fix is easy to sort out - I just wish they would do it at the factory though...

My carb is leaky even whilst running but only when cold after about 10 mins im fine for the trial however people i know have an 01 rev 3 and got the mod done but it didnt work! Best idea get into routine of turning off fuel, BUT TURN IT ON BEFORE ENTERING A SECTION :( unless your balance is amazing and you can turn your fuel on in a section. though i have done it it is not an easy task. leaky carbs and loose bolts V complete bike failure? Hmmm i wonder?................... :)

Austini, with regards your saying "do you need all that power" yes as i am 6ft 5 and 14st so yes power is needed plus last year i rode schoolboy expert/ A so i needed the grunt. However i have since retreated to clubman since turnin 16 runarounds beckoned ;) but the power is fun but me stock Yam TTR 250 is much torqueyer :( contemplating an engine transplant 4 stroke in me beta mm? :D:D nah!

Not meant to "bike bash' here, but I will tell you my honest opinion!

The sherco has been the "best of both worlds" to me. And the trade off between the Gassers quirks and the Beta or Monts or Scorpa quality.

Had 3 so far(+ the wifes 1.25) and going for another because I never do much but ride and maintain them(important), with no major repairs. And the new Blackies seem better than ever!

So that's all I'm going to say about that! :)