Discussion On Youth Funding

atomant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... The inability to sumount the inescapbale fact, especailly when there are other more pertinant issues about affecting the majority mean this is a side issue....

Well if you believe there are more pertinent issues, then feel free to open up another thread and get them debated. :guinness:

Who are these people who disagree? Lets here from some of them to understand why they feel like that?

Who are these people who disagree? Lets here from some of them to understand why they feel like that?

I have two lad's of my own, why should I be subsidizing some other fellows lad, when they may find after a year or two they would rather sup ale and chase bird's, or stick it up there nose, some young talented rider's have been known to do it, why should I help them?

How do you pick who should be supported ? Mart and Malc, used to deliver coal round Silsden to earn a bob or two to help pay to ride, yes!! times have changed, so how do you make it that every kid get's the same deal.

Dabster, Atom, and other TC posters are keen to get funding for this rider or that, but for the most part they are following up on a young rider they have some connection too.

This year riding over a moor, one of those well talented youth though it wer **** hot to purposely roost this old bloke with mud, why on earth would I want to donate some of my hard earned to the little Pratt.

Will the youth all have the same chance at earning the same reward/funding, EX amount of youth funding to be given by youth championship points earned, each point has a funding value, that way it gives the most to those who earn the most, isn't that how you get on in real life.

Disaster funds, charities, most of the monies given never see the purpose they were intended for, they get kind of side tracked along the way, who is going to be responsible for looking after and keeping track of what goes were?.

Those who are after something will always shout louder than those who don't want to give it.

There you go Atom, you asked! a few reasons from a tight Yorki on why should I pay.

Dabster, Atom, and other TC posters are keen to get funding for this rider or that, but for the most part they are following up on a young rider they have some connection too.

Not true. Ross has now finished Youth class and will not benefit from this system for next year at national level. I make the case for the future youngsters coming through.

And by your spelling of subsidizing you gotta be in the US so you dont count :guinness:

OK you did ask.

Obviously you havent read previous posts.

I have previously stated my position on youth funding, and been slated for it, from ACU funds that comprise of my contributions. I DONT agree that the ACU should spend ANY of their scarce funds on possibly funding some future wunderkint. If they want funding then they should go out and secure said funding from sponsors. If they are struggling to get funding from sponsors then they probably are not presenting a sound business proposition. Alternatively the business doesnt see a recogniseable return on their investment, which is probably more likely. Businesses are not stupid if it was a good form of exposure for them they would soon jump on the bandwagon. "Whats in it for me" applies. It's a tough old world get used to it.

If Dabster et al think it's such a necessary and good idea then why dont they contribute directly themselves to www.iwantloadsofmoneytobethenextworldchampion.com or bung a cheque into the persons bum bag when they next see them. Nobodys stoping anybody sending as much as you want to whoever are they????

Whatever dont assume i want my ACU contributions spending on "youth funding" thank you. If the ACU have even

OK you did ask.

Obviously you havent read previous posts.

I have previously stated my position on youth funding, and been slated for it, from ACU funds that comprise of my contributions. I DONT agree that the ACU should spend ANY of their scarce funds on possibly funding some future wunderkint. If they want funding then they should go out and secure said funding from sponsors. If they are struggling to get funding from sponsors then they probably are not presenting a sound business proposition. Alternatively the business doesnt see a recogniseable return on their investment, which is probably more likely. Businesses are not stupid if it was a good form of exposure for them they would soon jump on the bandwagon. "Whats in it for me" applies. It's a tough old world get used to it.

If Dabster et al think it's such a necessary and good idea then why dont they contribute directly themselves to www.iwantloadsofmoneytobethenextworldchampion.com or bung a cheque into the persons bum bag when they next see them. Nobodys stoping anybody sending as much as you want to whoever are they????

Whatever dont assume i want my ACU contributions spending on "youth funding" thank you. If the ACU have even

As a Dad myself the main problem here is not the ACU or clubs, it's the low profile of the sport. My Son really enjoys his Weekends and I put a lot of time and money into it with the support of my wife. However whereas when you talk to others who "do" football, cricket, tennis, squash and moto-x, you find that support from local companies is more forthcoming as they "know" those sports. Trials does not get that sort of coverage. The money that goes into the sport in Spain comes from a base of motorcycle fans who follow all Motorcycle sport and the fact they have the factories there. Let's face facts, if I want to keep NYL progressing I might get some local support providing the results keep coming. But to do that I have to get him to the nationals with a bike capable of getting him into those crucial top places. Ans thats the problem. You have to invest continually. And not just in a bike. In a van or motorhome to do those crucial trials and on and on.........

To Be honest I have not even considered asking the ACU for help. I know how little money the clubs have so the ACU cannot get much more from trials. The importers are the major supporters of riders and they don't make much either. A total "sale" of 1,000-2,000, (which is probably optimistic), bikes between all the importers does not make for a massive "pot" to sponsor the riders.

That leaves the Riders at Trials via either the "registration" card or the ACU "levy". Most clubs haven't upped the entry fees for Trials for years despite the insurance and levy amounts having been increased at some stage in that time becuase they don't want to see the entries drop. Don't forget as well that most clubs have to make some sort of payment for land use, have to pay towards officials.

What we have is a "deadly embrace". Not much money in the sport means it is difficult to get more money in the sport. "Kick Start" was a boon to Trials and helped setup the Indoor events but any other type of Trial is difficult to cover for TV. Hence the low level of coverage. Maybe a "Street" Trials event in a city centre will work.

So no answer's, but a lot of questions. How to get Trials noticed being the biggest.

Lastly, The A & B Class events we have attended have been amongest the best supported and most competitive events in the Trials calendar. Only the Novogar and "Classic" events attract similar numbers and that must mean despite all the drawbacks that Dad's (and Mum's!!!).face that some people DO notice it. There is hope but the current youth riders may not see it.

Edited by Telecat

Lastly, The A & B Class events we have attended have been amongest the best supported and most competitive events in the Trials calendar. Only the Novogar and "Classic" events attract similar numbers and that must mean despite all the drawbacks that Dad's (and Mum's!!!).face that some people DO notice it. There is hope but the current youth riders may not see it.

A lot of very well presented comments in there if I may say so :guinness:

If I could pick up on your last paragraph above, it goes without saying that by the very fact that the A&B events are amongst the best supported in the country, a lot of income is already being generated but more than that, there are a lot of very good youth riders out there who will go on to be adult riders and then eventually to the pre 2000 class (when they get old enough).

Out of the guys that are making that transition, I have to mention Sam Haslam. Sam is someone who I have always admired. I have watched him like many others over the last 2 years at the youth events and now culminating in taking the British Expert title this year. It wouldn't suprise me to see him dominate the british events in the next few years and it would be a pleasure to witness.

The thing is, most of the anti youth feeling is about feeling that you have to contribute to them. Lets turn it on its head and say, well by the ACU putting in a system that assists these lads/lasses to develop, I could have personally contributed to the success of Sam Haslam. When he wins then theres that warm mushy feeling knowing that you helped him get there :guinness:

As Telecat says, the entry fees haven't kept in line with inflation so you wont even notice in your pocket. The ACU put together a system that helps them (and these are the guys that are also indirectly contributing!) because to make it work, they have got to want to make it work. They have the right to feel the same.

When sam is 65 and riding the ssdt on a nuclear powered gas gas with a bionic hip replacement and we are watching (well some of us hopefully), to know you had an input into him even being there would be more than worth it for me..

My final word on the subject :guinness:

IMHO :D

.... The inability to sumount the inescapbale fact, especailly when there are other more pertinant issues about affecting the majority mean this is a side issue....

Well if you believe there are more pertinent issues, then feel free to open up another thread and get them debated. :guinness:

fair question to ask

IMHO the majority of trials riders out there, and particularly the ones that run the clubs down this way (and lets face it they are the ones casting the votes) are all like Old Trials Fanatic or parents who have paid for their own kids and don't wont a en mass funding of every youth. hell there are still a significant number of "youth haters" out there who don't want to get involved with youth at all. there is a marginal tendency for these sort of people to be less computer liteate than others and so they are not reprsented here (hell i recon there are between 5 to 10 people from my centre on this site out of 300+ trials riders)

as for more pertinent priorities for funding a very short list would include lobbying parliament, funding LARA, further club support with experts on planning, local gov, etc, etc and finally Land

you sell an announcement very soon from the South Eastern Centre on one of these points very soon :guinness: