Ok Time To Get Shot At. John What Is Or Should Be The Acu Position On Bike Elegibility Specifically Pre65 And Twinshock

old trials fanatic

What exactly is it that the moaners are moaning about?.

Does OTF really believe that if the tooth fairy deposited Mick Grants cub or Neil Gaunts enfield or Vestys Bultaco in his shed that he'd be the one standing on the top of the podium at the SSDTpre65 or Sammy Series?. And if he was, so what?.

Whats happened to the concept of going to a trial on a Sunday with a few mates just enjoying yourself riding your bike.

Unfortunately it seems that every level of trials, from CtoC up to WTC has fallen victim to what is generally described as "cheating", whether this is blatant at CtoC events where riders mark their own cards or apparent national favouritism by observers at WTC level, and it could well be argued that these practices have devalued the awards given. There are still some principled guys around and I know several ex-competitors who no longer compete in organised events for these reasons but still get terrific enjoyment riding in trials they lay out with a few mates on friendly farmers land, and this really is the simple solution to OTFs problem as well - if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen or take up flower arranging. Unfortunately the concept of everyone a winner now starts in infant school with all the sad little gits trooping out of prizegiving wearing badges saying "I did my best" just so they won't feel left out. LIFE AIN'T FAIR SO GET USED TO IT!.

A B40 seems to be the ideal bike for OTF. As far as I remember it has the engine slightly offset in the frame. With the huge chip OTF has on his shoulder this should give perfect balance. :angry:

Edited by montaco

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one montaco :D

Thats why i always ride with my wallet in my right hand pocket to balance the chip on my other shoulder. Then again it might be the offset engine. Who knows.

The reason i posted the thread was that lots of people moan about it but i just wondered what the ACU position was. Now i know.

Personally a large part of the pleasure i get from trials is in building and modifying my bike. Titanium wheelspindles are currently on order as is the exhaust. Sorry i digress.

What i was getting at in my usual long way round obtuse manner was that the pre65 classes in my local clubs are falling and i was wondering if part of the reason for this was down to the very high cost of building a competitive pre65 bike nowadays. The problem then is when you have built your bike it's cost and is worth so much that you become loath to throw it off the nearest cliff :angry:

So what is the answer? Well part of the exorbitant cost of building a pre65 is down to having to "disguise" the modern parts inside "period" ones. Forks are a good example. A good set of Marzoccis fitted into Norton sliders c/w billet alloy yokes will set you back approx

Trials was always a cheap one to get in to, and its still possible, (just) it is also possible to get into spending a LARGE amount to get the bike you want or need to compete etc. When it gets to the size of the wallet, and not the skill of the rider and his chosen machine it is all going down the same road as the rest of it, MONEY. A sad road. But what do I know, I have seen it in many hobbies, mainly motorised. Keeping up with and hopefully beating the Jones's. What does it matter if Joe wants to put 2 shocks on his pinky, he is going back in time, thats his choice. Get the people out there having a ride and a good time etc surely thats what it is all about. :angry::D I am AMCA by the way. P.S. Stop bitching......

Edited by bo drinker

Get the people out there having a ride and a good time etc surely thats what it is all about.

Isn't that just what most of us are saying?.

The sad thing is that OTF seems to give the impression that he can't enjoy himself because other people have been able to spend more money on their bikes!.

What does it matter what other riders do, I've always taught my lad to focus on the fact that the only person he is competing against is actually the Clerk of the Course, who has used devilish cunning to try to take marks off him!.

Nice one montaco :D

Thats why i always ride with my wallet in my right hand pocket to balance the chip on my other shoulder. Then again it might be the offset engine. Who knows.

The reason i posted the thread was that lots of people moan about it but i just wondered what the ACU position was. Now i know.

It's got to the stage in pre65 where it's cheaper to buy a 4RT than a pukka pre65 and if we are not careful twinshocks will go the same way.

Just thought the ACU might have a view.

Interesting discussion though wasnt it :angry:

This is just typical of someone who has been brainwashed by the red tops. Just the same as the government is putting up taxes etc, no, its our government we voted (majority of course) in to do our bidding.

We are the ACU, if you feel strongly then do something about it get it raised at centre and national level, you me him we are the ACU.

"This is just typical of someone who has been brainwashed by the red tops. Just the same as the government is putting up taxes etc, no, its our government we voted (majority of course) in to do our bidding."

?????? brainwashed by the red tops? Whats a red top? :angry: Must have done a good job.

"We are the ACU, if you feel strongly then do something about it get it raised at centre and national level, you me him we are the ACU."

err thought that was why we now have an ACU Discussion thread in General Forums.

Sorry i must be missing something here.

Especially for Montaco Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch :D

i think the bultaco bedstead rider has a point try starting with your own club/center ! :angry:

think big start small :D

PS make sure you avoid the red dwarfs,indians,peppers,deer,carpets,mullets,lights,wood and i

nearly forgot meat and heads :D

I have been involved with our AMCA club for a couple of years, riding a bit and observing. Observed at an ACU trial today for first time to help them out. Thats a different kettle of fish, monos everywhere, hopping skipping etc. Possibly given busiest section as well. Eye opener, good day though. Thanks :angry:

fundamentally IMHO this won't work - there you go thats a simple answer

on a more complex level I'll highlight two flaws (in addition to the many valid ones pointed out above)

1) other than the various championships (eg classic and Sammy miller) the ACU TEC has little real control/power over the rest of the sport. the other events are run by clubs under permits from their centre/SACU - its fundamentally up to those clubs or centre (in the case of a centre championship) to set the entry requirements. then its up to them to enforce it. thus fundamentally it rests with each club/centre to decide this in relation to the majority of events.

now you know there is a wide plethora of classes out there, varying within centres, and dramatically nationwide - in this case its very hard to establish a common criteria, even as a starting block.

2) the most obvious parallel example that i can think of is "classic" mx, which south of the border is mainly run by the AMCA. they have a "machine eligibility panel" which from the reports i hear of is the most unenviable job to do, they never appear to make anyone happy as everyone says they are either enforcing silly rules to overzealous, or they are not enforcing it enough as xyz example is getting away with abc