My New Bike

doogle

Picked up my brand new bike on Monday, and managed to get out on it for the first time today.

Unfortunately a little bit dissapointed. Not with how the bike rides, or the build quality but the checks it did, or didn't have before I got it. Whether it was by the dealer or the factory.

Problem one. It wouldn't start. This was down to the bike being so choked up. Fired up and not run properly. I admit I had fired it up previously and ridden it around the garden, earlier in the week, but it had obviously been started and stopped at the dealer and I presume they are fired up at the factory. Surely they should be run up properly before delivery, After 20 min managed to get it running.

Problem two. As soon as it starts gear box oil starts leaking out the casings. Turn the bike off, hope it starts again! Lean it on it's side, gear lever off, cover off. The O ring is pinched and not seated properly. Really needs a new one which I will be on the phone about on Monday. Get it to seal of a fasion. Right ready to go 40 mins into my 2 hour riding time, to run it in before I have to be back to take my 2 year old to a birthday party, or risk divorce!

Problem three. Just about to leave, to come home when notice fuel is pouring out of the carb. I have to leave the bike with my 2 mates to sort as my wife has already rang and hung up on me once for being late for the party and I am still up the woods. The bike needs to be sorted as I am riding in trial tomorrow. Anyway my mates get there tools out and take the carb off my brand new bike up the woods. Turns out the carb rubber isn't seated properly and one of the floats is catching on it. So all sorted, my mates carry on running MY new bike in. Needless to say one of them falls off.

Problem four. Air leaks out the back tyre through the spokes. I have had this problem before, and I know how to sort it but should you really have to on a new bike. I am pretty sure you wouldn't accept it on your new Audi, Volkswagon, Ford or whatever.

I have had all different makes of trials bikes and with the exception of one (and even though there was no problems with that bike I feel Iwas still stictched up by them) have had similar problems on all my new bikes. Really my point is surely this is the only industry where people buy a new bike and put up with faults, or get fobbed off by dealers, or have to fix them themselves. I have heard and experienced horrendous stories about people being told to go and by tins of paint from Halfords to fix problems etc.

Anyway apart from all that. It is good, and I am confident that these will be the last problems I have with it, but it has certainly tarnished the excitement of having a new bike.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Seems the problem needs taken up with the dealer as they should have done a proper PDI, the importer may offer some sympathy, but these minor faults can be sorted with the dealer.

Hope its sorted for the morning

Doogle, know how you feel mate, glad its sort of sorted now, yer we put up with problems? that we would nt with a car, probably because we are so keen to ride the things as much as possible. Hope you have a good day tomorrow

Edited by Betarev3

Bloody hell! no wonder the guy at the shop I bought mine from was getting fed up with me! I bought a two year old bike from a dealer got a great price and spent the day there pretty much making SURE I wouldn`t ever need too go back too him for any upsetting reasons ( was about an hour journey) We both agreed on some very satisfying terms and warrantys that were signed and agreed. Like I said I would rather spend a day there making sure knowing that he is a good dealer for future referance etc. than getting home pee`d right off.

I understand you`re circumstances being differnt as in you have a new bike, but like someone else mentions by law every vehicle has to pass a PDI, I even had too wait two days for my latest push bike due too this!

There is no way in the world if I bought a new bike that started weeing gearbox fluid that i`d touch it mechanicly it`d be straight back needing a writen explanation on how this could of happened

Wise words Barry. Just shows the different world we now live in.

I remember that we used to have to build the trials bike up when we got a new one. seriously my Bultacos, Montesa and my first TY mono all came in a box. OK it was mostly fit the forks and wheels, cables etc but there was no P.D.I. in those far distant days when the world was in black and white :D

What i am getting at is i think it's historical. Because in the past Trials riders were in effect assembling and P.D.I. ing their own bikes it sort of became the norm. And still obviously is so it seems. Sod off take it or leave it attitude. Which of course is not acceptable in this day and age whatever happened in the past.

Answer? Well as in everything in life if youre daft enough to put up with it then i suppose you cant blame them for letting you. No offence meant. Until we as a group demand better service then we wont get it.

Barry did the right thing in getting specific warranties. Sadly i always seem to forget this :angry:

If i was you i would return the bike Monday and make a lot of noise until it's up to standard. You didnt say what make or model the bike was but whatever it is it must have been in excess of

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Saw poor old doogle today out on his new bike at the trial and you have guesed it problem

number five bike starts to overheat and the thermostat switch has now gone on it had to bypass the switch to finish the trial. Not bad for a four hour old bike poor sod!

I don't want to name the bike as I have no doubts that the importer will not hesitate to sort the bike out for me. In fact they have even sorted bikes out for me in the past that have been well out of their warranty period.

I am annoyed with the lack of preparation on the bike and I will take it up with the dealer. Like Beta Rev3 said though. I wanted to ride the bike, so it's easier for me to sort it out myself. I am in a position where I can either sort it myself or know someone who can. Rode it in a road trial today and it felt great, rode well on it and was pleased. The thermostat packed up though, so another thing to talk to the dealer about tomorrow!

I was just trying to make the point that they wouldn't get away with it in any other industry, and they shouldn't in this.

Edited by Doogle

Saw poor old doogle today out on his new bike at the trial and you have guesed it problem

number five bike starts to overheat and the thermostat switch has now gone on it had to bypass the switch to finish the trial. Not bad for a four hour old bike poor sod!

It's old than 4 hours. It's been ridden for at least 6! Apart from the stat, a good days trialing though mad4it.

I had some problems once with a Mont, dealer fobbed me off with you should do this , that and the other, called Sandifords in turn they called the dealer to sort out and hey presto, the dealer called me, came round to my house, picked the bike up and returned it the same day all problems solved.