Chains, Wd40 & All That

hrc1

This year I have been mostly using WD40!

Just for an experiment - all this year I've been using only WD40 to lube the chain.

It was a new Iris chain on new sprox & guess what - It lasted just as long as one lubed with good old sticky chain spray. I.E. one season. I ride most weekends and a few of the more interesting events - Reeth, Verdon etc so the bike does a lot of miles, for a trials bike.

The theory was the chain has less dirt sticking too it & looks cleaner (prettier!) too.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been doing WD40 for some time now and it works great, keeps the chain clean, mud does nt sem to stick too much and its much easier to wash off. Not noticed any premature wear on the chain and will keep using it untill something better comes along.

Hrc1, seen a load of Iris chains break lately mate, from used ones to brand new, keep a good eye on it

Edited by Betarev3

Seems to be a big problem with Iris chains snapping lately, hope no one gets hurt form one. I have seen 4 break in the past 2 months, 2 new and the others a few months old. Trouble with a chain snap is it is likely to happen at the top of a big step or climb, no warning and you instantly come back down

Sure from the 4 i have seen snap, 1000 have nt, but I would never buy one. Two things that used to really bother me road racing was a busted chain and no brakes, just isnt worth taking any chances so i always bought the best and strongest i could.

Trials, not too worried about the brakes as much but a bust chain could be painfull if the fall is bad. I stick to Renthal for piece of mind, cost more but have a big get off from a step or big hill and it could cost you hundreds in busted parts.

I had an iris chain on my 4rt. Looked nice but after about 4 trials I noticed the chain was quite loose. I adjusted the snail cams and it was that stretched the oversize cams could not take out the slack. chucked it in he bin and bought a DID chain. Would never again risk buying an iris as I would gues it would make a big mess of the bike if it broke and it would smart if it hit you.

Raga uses Iris chains but changes them frequently.

The big advantage of them is the fact that they have so little drag, unless you do big stuff I think they are a distinct advantage.

Hrc has had no problem and he is steady on the throttle.

Not convinced by the wd40 thing, surely duck oil would be better as its more oily?

Boiling a chain now that takes me back, definately the best way.

been doing WD40 for some time now and it works great, keeps the chain clean, mud does nt sem to stick too much and its much easier to wash off. Not noticed any premature wear on the chain and will keep using it untill something better comes along.

Hrc1, seen a load of Iris chains break lately mate, from used ones to brand new, keep a good eye on it

My chain that snapped a couple of weeks back was an IRIS, never buying another one.

Edited by Andy_290

I've had an Iris on for well over a year and it has hardly needed adjustment. As with all brands there are different quality levels available for different uses. Not sure what mine is but it was not super cheap so presumably a mid-range version?