Chains, Wd40 & All That

hrc1

Andy go for the renthal mate, never snapped one of those and they dont seem to stretch much either. See you a week today, remember what to shout if we dont recognise you :wall:

Renthals are the best chains & I wouldn't use anything else. But they're only good for 6 days in Scotland, after that chuck it! I've seen one snap post Scotland, very funny as I saw AG jump a ditch but his bike didn't bother. I've had 2 of my own snap after the SSDT costing me a flywheel cover on the Gasser both times. This years chain was binned straight away, 4RT casings are way more expensive.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm,

mee too, wondered why my iris kept stretching recently.... not impressed.

Are the renthal ones o-ring chains? do they need less maintainence?

Sorry to hear about that andy, was it at the road trial you were observing ???? What have you done to it now then ? bought a new casing or just silicone sealer !! :hyper:

Matt

Hey up Matt,

Yeah it was the John Mac road trial, was hot dogging on some rocks in between laps when it snapped, causing my balls to meet with the top clamp at speed :-S

Smashed the flywheel cover totally so bought a new one from RPM, too skint to buy a renthal chain at the mo (bloody car has cost me a fortune) so will have to wait til my expenses come through in a week or so.

It was stretched a hell of a lot before it snapped, right on the end of the snail cams, after only about 7-8 trials :-O

Should be observing this weekend if I'm needed,

Justin I'll remember what to shout, what was it, dog **** ralphy at ralph and southern poofter at you? :hyper:

Andy

Edited by Andy_290

ooo

Hard do's mate,...your car ? its pretty new that one, and its a VW.... poor fella..

My mini is a cheap fix ! but i keep getting some looks at trials events turning up towing two bikes on a trailor thats 25 years old, and two bikes that are worth 3 times the price of my car !! haha

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Singe,

Drifting off topic here, I amazed you can remember who conquered the hill after all these years. Up until a couple of years ago it was still in use in Carshalton's South Coast Group Trial. Excellent venue now sadly lost to trials...

Are the two smudges of yerself from the same day?

And what are you riding these days or is there another use for PJ1?

Here's the only recent pics from that hill I have:

big hill photo1

hil pic 2 (pivotpegs man)

• 3 weeks later...

been doing WD40 for some time now and it works great, keeps the chain clean, mud does nt sem to stick too much and its much easier to wash off. Not noticed any premature wear on the chain and will keep using it untill something better comes along.

Hrc1, seen a load of Iris chains break lately mate, from used ones to brand new, keep a good eye on it

My chain that snapped a couple of weeks back was an IRIS, never buying another one.

Smashed my flywheel cover off and took a chunk of metal out of the clutch casing :xmas:

I too have had a brand new iris chain ( 3 hours old ) snap on me . i took it back and it was exchanged for a d.i.d chain no questions asked. why do these faulty chains always break when you at the section furthest away from your car ?

why do these faulty chains always break when you at the section furthest away from your car ?

:xmas: I had a similar problem but not quite as bad when I bent my gear lever so bad I couldn`t move it too change from 1st! bloody miles away from any tools so glad I had at least some engine power mind all up hill and horizontal rain! when I got too the car I could only just see it as we apparently parked in a cloud!

I too have had a brand new iris chain ( 3 hours old ) snap on me . i took it back and it was exchanged for a d.i.d chain no questions asked. why do these faulty chains always break when you at the section furthest away from your car ?

I did nt envy you pushing it from there mate. Can't belive how bad i did at that trial,, i had no enthusiasm what so ever.. thing it may have been down to not shaking the cold off after nearly 5 weeks.. I managed to do that waterfall section for a 2, as opposed to a 5 on the 1st lap and knackering my leg up... but that was one of many many 5's that day.. Doing the Hallamshire this week are you ??

Edited by Dougie Pumpkin