Can You Identify This Bike?

blocky

As it says made in Austria on it, it's not going to be a Hiro. Can't see the carb clearly enough to tell but the 350 rotax didn't have the disc inlet arrangement so the carb sits higher than on the 240/280 motors. If it's a 350 mono it would be quite rare

Just dug out an old picture of my 82 CCM CMT 310 which had a Hiro motor and have to admit Iwas wrong , The Hiro had its chain on the other side , having a good look at the bike in question it really looks like a mono shock which probably rules out all the Armstrong / CCM possibilities

Originally I thought it was an Armstrong mono which used the 240/280 rotax motor - can't remember whether they ever put the 350 in the mono or just the twinshock though. But, the mono only came with an alloy frame as far as I remember so it can't be one of those as this one has steel downtubes from the headstock. Tank also looks wrong shape and frame looks wrong under seat.

Second thought was that it is an Aprilia mono but the frame is wrong around the swingarm pivot upwards. Tank looks wrong shape for Aprilia too.

So, still stumped, although it looks as though it has been butchered beyond recognition, so identification may be difficult. Love to know what it is just out of curiosity though.

Having searched high and low, found this picture of a CAN AM, the frame looks similar, has a Rotax engine also. I reckon its an Armstong, the exhaust has the flat rear, associated with armstrong exhausts, probably an Armstrong/CanAm. John Lampkin or Steve Saunders might know, as they were both works riders for Armstrong, I think!

post-1226-1165153514.jpg

Edited by ask greeves