Beta Problem

scoobie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I won't get into a slanging match as I'm not that type of guy. I've offered to go halfs on the cost of getting the stator rewound, or woodruff etc, sorted if that's the case, as I think that's fair if it did go wrong so soon. As you've said it could suddenly happen.

I wouldn't trust the mechanics that he took the bike to though - they said that the CDI and Stator had both gone(?????) and the engine was making bad noises, meaning that it was only fit to be scrapped. Personally I think the bike should go on show, as it managed to run with all thoses electrical problems.

your tooo generous i`d of told him too stick it from the first call! he`s had the bike and was happy when he took it from an ebay sale which are sold as seen

To right. I can understand you trying to be pleasant and helpful, as this is what trials riders generally are, and I probably would be the same initially, but now is definitely the time to tell him to do one!

I had a mate who bought a Beta Zero in the early 90's, it was mint. He got it home and the first time he fired it up in the back garden the gear box sh@t itself. He repaired it all at his expense. I don't think he even contacted the seller as he knows a fair bit about bikes and was confident it wasn't down to any hidden problems. It was just really bad luck, but that is the risk you take with a private purchase, especially off e bay.

i too sold a bike on e bay in february of this year, an immaculate 2005 250 sherco. the guy came to pick it up as arranged, started it up and gave it a really good check over, obviously knew what he was doing and after doing this he was over the moon with the bike and took it away, everyone was happy, we both left positive feedback for each other. 3 weeks later i get a email of him saying the fan has packed up and the main bearings were knackered. he had got a quote for the work from his local dealer and said i should pay half of it as it must have been knackered when i sold it to him, and that if i didnt he would report me to e bay for false descriptions!! i told him he was talking B*****ks and it wasnt my problem, he had just been unlucky. later that day i got a email off ebay saying i had been reported and that my ebay account and my paypal account had been frozen while they investigated the claim. and that the investigation could take upto 14 days! both parties had to give their stories and ebay would take it from there. 2 days later ebay cleared me of anywrong doing and said the problem was the new owners. so just beware, there are some right cheeky bast@rds out there!! :xmas:

If the bike had got a puncture first time out, would he have expected you to pay for that?

From the sound of things, I'd say the answer is yes. :xmas:

Given that the buyer went home and played mechanic on the bike, I'd say the seller has no responsibility in the matter.

First off, don't shoot the messenger :) Son of Rat posted a reply but he must have clicked the wrong button, please see below...

thank u for all the comments about my dad u all seem to know me very well and i would like to state he is not a boy who got bourd and decided to strip the bike down. he is a 43 year old man who as got 30 years exsperiance with bikes.and is not trying to be a conman. he just asked scooby for a little bit of help and it turnd in to this he didnt even know it had turned into a debate thanxs kirk. (son of rat)

:xmas:

Hi,

To 'Son of Rat' - I havn't tried to belittle your dad's mechanical skills on this site. Please read my posts carefully. I have only questioned the wisdom of the mechanics that your dad has spoken to.Your dad asked me for help and I have been trying to do this right from the start (see my first post) - if I wasn't then this disscussion would never have arisen. All I have done is ask the people on this site, that have greater knowledge than me about this model of bike, what the problem could possibly be.

If I wasn't trying to help solve the problem in any way, I would never have spoken to/e-mailed your dad when the problem arose - I would simply have ignored him. I am trying to resolve what is probably best termed as bad luck on both sides.

If you want to chat to me about it please feel free to e mail me privately.

Thanks,

Scoobie, I think you have acted more than fairly so far from what has been written here.

Many people (and I must confess this includes me) would have simply said 'sorry sold as seen'.

Son of Rat, you have to try and see it from Scoobies point of view also. There are many variables to this problem and neither party will probably ever know for sure if something fishy is going on (on the part of either side)

Scoobie might have known there was a problem when he sold the bike, equally your Dad might have caused the problem when he took it apart.

Remember, electrical components do suddenly fail one day, this doesn't make the deal dodgy in any way, as stated above it is possibly just down to bad luck on the part of both parties.

This is the reason why I personally hate fun fair roller coasters.... they are machines and eventually all machines break. It would be just my luck to be the one who gets caught out.

This is the reason why I personally hate fun fair roller coasters.... they are machines and eventually all machines break. It would be just my luck to be the one who gets caught out.

Me too but my kids reckon I'm just scared :xmas:

........He decided to drain the tank and alter the oil/gas mix - I had it at 75:1, he went for 70:1 - cleaned out the carb and changed cleaned the plug. As soon as he had done all this the bike - he says - ran like a pig; OK upto a third throttle then lumpy and misfiring........

An old mechanic friend told me ... when I fix something ...and it ends up worse than when I started ... chances are, the item I fixed is the item that is broken.

Tell him to pull the carb and clean all the jets ... could be that simple. Sticking slide ... gunk from the empty tank stirred up clogging the main, sticky choke.

Replace the plug ... check the plug wire and cap. Maybe the plug wire is not all the way on.

Go for the easy stuff first

Edited by G.Kennedy

Hi,

The lad sad that he was going to get hold of a fly-wheel puller and check the woodruff key - then he texted me and said he had found the problem by accident. He hasn't told me what it is yet; as I said I'd contribute towards the cost of new parts if necessary as I feel it's only right. I know I would appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot.

So problem solved and I'll let you know what the problem was as soon as I find out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had the same thing with a car i sold the bloke had it a week and changed the stereo in it and it went up in flames the next day, he was telling everyone it was the was i had taken my stereo out.

I don't think so, so i told him it was his problem and it was sold as seen and if the doors had fallen off as he went down the road it would of been his problem thats without him mucking about with the electrics.

It's funny he had played with the wiring and then the next day the car caught light starting behind the dashboard.