Rewiring A Usa 2-pin Plug To Uk 3-pin Plug?

kinell

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Andy on this, can sense the tears already....

We had an American electric Wok when we came back from Germany, (USAF PX's are amazing......) did all the conversion stuff as told, bu&&er still blew up. Can't you get some uk batts and a charger, probably easier

It doesn't matter which way round you have the two wires on an AC transformer on the input.

That's what I wanted to hear. Measured both blades with a digital vernier and they were both 6.35mm wide, which ties in with what you say above.

Fitted a 3amp fuse for now, better than nowt I suppose. Well it works, the little red LED light is lit up on the charger and nowt went bang on the fuse board :moon:

I got the batteries from a UK supplier and wanted to use the Oset charger as there is a charging port on the bike, this saves hassle having to remove the batteries and charge each one seperately :chairfall:

Thanks for all the help (and the p*** taking!)

If this is the one, stick a 1 amp fuse in it, or you could be changing it a fair bit. This shows the current at just over half an amp.

LC3_24_2A_2145_.pdf

Cheers BS, does that .pdf file open up ok for everybody? :bouncy:

post-10-1166650357.jpg

post-10-1166650585.jpg

Problem is that AC/DC transformers are proportional, so with twice the voltage input, you get twice the voltage output! Rectified or not! Unless there is a regulator!

You better ck it or you'll burn up the batteries!

And half the current capacity. In The Geographically Challenged Ones case there will be a regulator, probably switched mode so less heat dissipation.

caution! putting 220 into the primary will indeed get twice the output voltage intended, but it also may burn out the primary side as the current on that side will be twice as much regardless fof output. Junior may get to see some fireworks.

I was over in UK last jan to do some teaching, had to get a 220/110 transformer because laptop power supply died. I ended up at a tool store, (this one was Newbury) and got a power tool transofrmer, 8 inches cubed, I think 1500 w capacity,to run 100w computer. It cost about LS50 I think. Then I patched cables together as you are doing, to get to the plug into my computer.

Apparently there are safety rules that outdoor power tools, saws, drills, etc must run on 110 VAC. You might find similar trnasofrmer at industrial suppliers nearby. would still be 50hz though.

kcj