Gas Gas Rear Wheel Leaking From Spoke Holes.

scorpa3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patiently tried re-doing the tape this evening. We removed the tyre and tried to even out the tension. After a great deal of prising and pushing, we got the tape to look the same all the way around.

Put the tyre back on and inflated.

Sure enough this improved the problem, it then only leaks from a few spokes!

So we gave up and fitted a tube for now.

I can't believe how tricky this job is.

Patiently tried re-doing the tape this evening. We removed the tyre and tried to even out the tension. After a great deal of prising and pushing, we got the tape to look the same all the way around.

Put the tyre back on and inflated.

Sure enough this improved the problem, it then only leaks from a few spokes!

So we gave up and fitted a tube for now.

I can't believe how tricky this job is.

Well done that man, :bouncy: if its nearly there then I bet if you take it off now it will be simple to do. Call me.

Scorpa 3. Save yourself loads of time and trouble.

Take the rim tape off, put a bit of automotive grease on the end of every spoke and a thin layer on the underside of the tape and refit.

Costs about 20p at most.

End of problem.

Scorpa 3. Save yourself loads of time and trouble.

Take the rim tape off, put a bit of automotive grease on the end of every spoke and a thin layer on the underside of the tape and refit.

Costs about 20p at most.

End of problem.

Thanks for that suggestion. What is the theory behind that idea? Does that work better than sealer?

I think Dave Thorpe was something to do with this cure originally.

The grease seals up the gaps and stops corrosion on the spokes.

I have done it for many years with 100% success as do a lot of top riders I know.

Try it. I am sure you will cure the problem this way.

i use ," puncture free" off road tyre sealant. its great stuff that seals any leak be it a puncture or leaky spokes instantly . as soon as you get a tyre on put it in spin the wheel a bit , inflate, spin some more, set to normal pressure and away you go. :icon_rendeer:

i use ," puncture free" off road tyre sealant. its great stuff that seals any leak be it a puncture or leaky spokes instantly . as soon as you get a tyre on put it in spin the wheel a bit , inflate, spin some more, set to normal pressure and away you go. :icon_rendeer:

What happens the next time you change a tyre or a spoke, can you get the old sealant off ok? Do you have to put another load in with a new tyre?

Hi,

I,ve put that sealer in -Dr Sludge - i think it was called, anyway the fitter at our local trials shop recomended it and said -When you change the tyre next, scoop the stuff out with your hand + put it in the new one - I hav,nt changed tyres yet so we shall see! :D