How To Fix A Tubless Rear?

southern

I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips for getting a rear tire back on the rim when out on a Scottish moor?

I had always thought that should I be unfortunate enough to have the rear come off the rim I would take out the valve and fit the spare front tube in the rear. I thought I would then be able to inflate it with a pump and a CO2 cartridge to get it out onto the rim before letting it down to a more useful pressure to continue riding the sections before getting back to Fort William

Carry some tyre soap as it weighs next to nothing anyway and you'll need a few cartridges not just one.

the other thing which works, and i didnt believe it till I saw it, was to get about 40 PSI in the tyre then refit and elevate the rear wheel. Put the bike in top gear and with the wheel off the ground rev the engine, the centrifugal force then pops the tyre on the rim.

be careful though, when my mate did this the engine had gone cold while we were trying to get the tyre on, and with no load on the engine it really does rev, so the engine seized about a second after the tyre popped.

:beer:

which meant we were still stuck. :D:unsure:

Edited by Baldilocks

Carry some tyre soap as it weighs next to nothing anyway and you'll need a few cartridges not just one.

the other thing which works, and i didnt believe it till I saw it, was to get about 40 PSI in the tyre then refit and elevate the rear wheel. Put the bike in top gear and with the wheel off the ground rev the engine, the centrifugal force then pops the tyre on the rim.

What a cracking idea, makes sense too :beer:

What a cracking idea, makes sense too :beer:

Credit where its due, I believe Paul Battensby or Ian Marshall, both from Bedlington club told me about it first.

Timp, good point but have you seen the write up the Dunlop got in YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE ? I thought they weren't quite as good as a Michelin but they're not that bad are they ? Team Beta UK seem to manage ok as does Team Scorpa

I thought they weren't quite as good as a Michelin but they're not that bad are they ? Team Beta UK seem to manage ok as does Team Scorpa

If you plan to take a "team" next time you go riding, go for the Dunlop, but in my recent experience getting a Dunlop off & back on, I'd suggest a Michelin, which I changed at the same time & was a piece of cake. And those experiencew were in my workshop! Dunlop was a right PITA, soap or no soap!

$0.02

I like the centrifugal tip, never hear or seen that before but sounds logical.

I guess also prevention is better than cure and have always run a little higher pressure in Scotland, 7psi front 4.5 back. If you are not going to win the event better to have a hassle free trial and with SSDT sections does not seem to be too detrimental. Always leave in the morning with higher pressure to at least get you to first group trouble free. Worth checking pressure on a regular basis as with a change in weather you can see pressure drop 1/2psi. Some people add air after the main groups before going out on the road etc but never had time for that.

I thought they weren't quite as good as a Michelin but they're not that bad are they ? Team Beta UK seem to manage ok as does Team Scorpa

If you plan to take a "team" next time you go riding, go for the Dunlop, but in my recent experience getting a Dunlop off & back on, I'd suggest a Michelin, which I changed at the same time & was a piece of cake. And those experiencew were in my workshop! Dunlop was a right PITA, soap or no soap!

$0.02

The whole point of this thread is what to do when you are not 'IN' the workshop

If they are easy to pop on, they will pop off easier.

I'll stick with the Dunlops :beer:

Yup - heavy duty tie cables - i'd never ride the scottish without them now.

I once punctured running along the deerfence going towards Clunes - tyre came off the rim (michelin) and all i had was a front tube and a crappy pump - Grant Adamson came along and threw me a few tiecables so with the front tube in it and tiecables holding it on managed home - and even got up Witches burn on the way.

ran Dunlops ever since at the scottish and they have never come off.

Thanks for the replies, I will have an experiment this week and let you know how I get on.......

I have also always used Dunlops in Scotland and carried heavy duty cable ties just incase.......I was just thinking that I would need to be able to get the tire seated to be able to let it down to a useful pressure so I could get through the remainder of the days sections. Any idea how long cable ties would last on rocks?

be careful though, when my mate did this the engine had gone cold while we were trying to get the tyre on, and with no load on the engine it really does rev, so the engine seized about a second after the tyre popped.

:banana2:

which meant we were still stuck. :blink::D

This sounded worth a try so we let all the air out of the tyre and wiped tyre soap round the bead and put 40psi back in....... we then rolled the bike forward and before we could even start it, it had poped out onto the rim. Tyre soap seems to be the way to go..........!!! we even let it back down to 4psi and used it all day with no problems.

Thanks for the help

yes when we did the centrifugal thing that was just with water out of the stream as we didnt have any tyre soap. I think each gas bottle puts about 8 lbs in so 4 of those plus soap plus spinning the wheel should get a michelin back on the rim.

hopefully I wont be testing this in May :banana2: