What Twinshock Will Be Worth The Most In 5 Yrs Time!

scotty

What twinshock in your opinion will be worth the most in five years time?

I'd say of the big three , The Ossa mar should in theory be worth the most as they were the least sold! so would that make them more sought after?

My old granny used to say "he knows the price of everything but the value of nothing! "

The Hondas will be the most expensive as they are already TLR250's fetch really silly money.

So in order of most expensive.

1. Honda TLR250

2. Honda Seeley

3. Honda TLR200

4. Majesty 320/250

5. Bultaco 340 6sp

6. Ossa MAR Mk1

7. Fantic 240 / 300 Pro

8. Bultaco 250 Slimline Model 80 i think might be wrong on the model

9. Ossa MAR Mk2 & 310

10 Ossa Gripper 250/350

Probably forgot a really obvious bike but i am sure i will be corrected.

Strange that the above though reflecting the high prices that some twinshocks are now fetching, i dont see this spiral tapering off in the forseeable future, doesnt necessarily correlate to the most competetive twinshock trials bike as reflected in the results sheets.

Think a lot of the price inflation is down to disposable income and the desire to own the bike you couldnt afford the first time around.

Have also noticed a tendency for a lot of twinshock trials bikes to be restored to "concours" standard and shown instead of ridden. As far as show bikes go twinshock off roaders are a bargain compared to Classic road bikes. So this may explain some of the reason that prices are boyant. Like houses good if you already have one not so good if you havent. :guinness:

juding by what stuff is selling for on ebay ie selling for rather than been asked for id say your not far wrong there is a big price difference between your top 5 and the rest

all of the top 5 regulerly make 1500 never seen an ossa go further than 1000 often much less

the majesty seems to be the paradox very rarely available and yet 1500 to 2 k and yet 200tlrs on every week in massively different states of repair always 'looking' for 1500 minimum, were they that good

any spansih twinshock is good value early montesa still not going above 600 and must be great value for a trials specific bike and competative

The reason i posted this topic is because i have two ossa mars both 76 models one runs , rough but 100% original the others getting on for excellent condition inc a side ign cover /lugs that is in perfect condition :D (but need to get running)

but im running out of room as already have the maj/beamish/pe/it/kt. so bearing in mind the above will proberly not going to be worth a lot i will proberly stick them on ebay! :guinness:

The reason i posted this topic is because i have two ossa mars both 76 models one runs , rough but 100% original the others getting on for excellent condition inc a side ign cover /lugs that is in perfect condition :D (but need to get running)

but im running out of room as already have the maj/beamish/pe/it/kt. so bearing in mind the above will proberly not going to be worth a lot i will proberly stick them on ebay! :guinness:

If you truly are selling because of lack of space, you will certainly regret doing it later on. I reckon keep at least one OSSA even if it means getting a bigger storage area or leaving it at someone else's place till you can fit it in.

I'm with Big John on this. There is no way I would sell a twinshock trials bike that has some meaning to me. It would be like selling your family videos and photos. There is no way to put a price on those either.

For the mercenary people though that are thinking along the money lines, remember that we are probably the only people sufficiently interested in our treasured twinshock bikes to restore and enjoy them. Once our generation is gone, there will be very little interest in them hence demand (and prices) will eventually drop.

On the other hand why not sell the bike's for what ever reason.

What's the point of having an old twinshock sitting idle in the back of a garage and not having a chance to see daylight again,that's not going to help the cause of keeping twinshock's alive if anything it will help kill them off.

Best to find someone to buy them who will have them restored and running and back out in the mud where they belong.

Scotty,

Your lack of space is the problem, not whether to sell or keep the Ossas. You will almost certainly regret selling them. Your other bikes also need to be kept as they are becoming rarer (yes, even an unmolested Beamish....you try finding a good one). If it's just a space problem, I will house them for you FOC until you can sort out something permanently. Send a PM.

Dont sell...you will regret

Thanks for the replies guys, Ive decided to strip and restore the rough one (hence i can put the frame etc in the attic!) also im going to splash out on a good (secure!) shed and leave the good one in it and when winter comes ill squeese it into the garage! when i get the good one sorted it will be used in anger! the rough ossa was the one i had when i was 15 so holds loads of happy memories riding it!

by the way if you get the lastest classic dirtbike youll see both my majesty and beamish in a shoot out with old magical, mick andrews himself riding them! ( they certainly got well used that day! :guinness: )

I agree with feetupfun totally -Who are going to buy the bikes mentioned earlyer in 20yrs? I think it is a generation thing.Young riders starting out would prefer a gasser to any twinshock you care too name.Think - why do you own your bike -Had it for years -Wanted it years ago but no money -Sentimental reasons? None of these apply to youngsters,and these are the future bike buyers,so a very limited market if you want too sell too make money.Just my honest opinion and not ment to upset any one and i hope to be here in 20yrs to see if iam correct :guinness: Youth is wasted on the young!

I agree with Big John - old trials bikes will alway have an appeal. Once the youngsters have done their bit competing at the highest level they can they will probably take a step back and appreciate what Eddy Lejeune & Co. could do on a twinshock when they watch the videos of yesteryear - ohh halcyon days! and if there are decent twinshock events I'm sure they would like to have a go on a twinshock. Just like Matchless trials bikes and the like are undeniably gorgeous and to someone like myself it would be a pleasure to ride one in a prestigious Pre '65 event.

I can see both sides of the arguement - i am no spring chicken myself,but the thread for this topic was whats worth more?Buy a twin shock for lots of reasons - but to make money, I,am not so sure.Big John has a big collection of bikes, but did he buy any for solely monetary gain ? I think history - knowledge -ect has got more too do with it.

P.S I do own a twinshock too :guinness:

Big John

I liked your comments about my riding ability but not sure about the number of years ago. The more difficult bikes to ride do need younger or better riders to do them justice, for example Mick Andrews riding the Douglas in Scotland and Matthew Neale riding it in the Talmag.

I think the rigid class in Scotland will be very competitive this year, the Norton is completely stripped for a rebuild before Scotland and to build a frame jig for a replica bike for later, for when I get really old.

It is a shame the entries are closed as perhaps you could have volunteered to ride the Douglas this year.