Sharpening Tires!

sam

Do you have any good Ideas for cutting edges on a tire/sharpening? I keep looking at the electric fish filet knives at Walmart, anybody tryed one?

The tire cutting tools I see sold on the various world wide web stores look like they are for off road 4x4 truck tires.

sam

I remember cutting new edges with a safety razor 25 years ago when we had the hard rubber tires. Now with the soft rubber you would lose the edge quickly, have to cut more to get a sharp edge and your tire would wear out more quickly. A waste of time and tire in my opinion.

Sectionone,

I think you are right, once you carv into the tire it would shorten its life span.

I was trying to sharpen my tire last night with a filet knife and stuck a knuckle, :guinness: that hurt!

My wife asked if I had crashed off my stationary bike/Rollers in the basement again! :D

sam

You could use a Siping tool. The dirt track car guys use them. You are basicly leaving the knob intact, but with a cut across it. The tool is like a slodering iron on steriods. They cut two sipe's in one pass, so one pass and the knob would be cut. It would allow the knob to flex more putting the new sharp edge on the ground. On the dirt track the sipes are used for edges and for heating the tire quicker. I don't think heat would be an issue but knob strength would be. I bet it would work good in the mud or slick hardpack! It'd be fun to try on an old tire. I may just do that and give a test report.

donmurray Posted Today, 12:12 AM

The rear tread knob squares usually wear down more on the front part of the knob. If you reverse the tires there will be a sharper point on the front side of the knob, and a down taper on the back side. Should grip better.

I already did that. I bought my bike used 3 yrs ago turned the tire once. I finally had to break down and buy a new one. Now if I can just find time to put it on. I am soooo cheap.