Where To Stay?

old trials fanatic

OTF

Have you tried the good old tourist information office? There is one in the centre of FW and they know all the acomodation around. If you cant get in to Kinloch then FW is not your only option there are plenty of places in between the two and the tourist office will know them all.

I dont have the number but they will be on yell.co.uk (yellow pages online)

I'm sure its not to late to get something decent.

• 1 month later...

I'm riding in this years SSDT but have nowhere to stay at present. Is there anywhere for motorcaravans in Fort William?

Yes several around Fort William, Glen Nevis has been mentioned, but tends to get a bit full as not only do the SSDT crowd go there it is popular for the walkers and climbers.

We stay out at Lihne Caravan Park have done for the last 15+ years, it is just the other side of Corpach on the Road to the Isles, plenty of riders stay here and all of the Static Vans and log cabins are full

Plenty of room though for a motor home and very clean and tidy facilities, hope this helps

I am pleased to see that accommodation is hard to find, it has been all too easy in recent years to get somewhere. The Scottish was traditionally a good source of income for the town but there are other, bigger, things these days (eg mountain bikes) which may not leave the place like a ghost town in the evening as seems to be the case these days with the Scottish. 280 riders "on their own" so to speak ain't that much, therefore, while competitor enthusiasm remains it is spectator numbers that are really going to help ensure the future of the event (leaving other developments in restrictions on vehicle use aside).

The moral is, make the effort and get there in large numbers but take to heart what Big John says. There are plenty good road runs on a bike with a short walk to sections so dig out the old road bike or gear up the trials bike and enjoy the run but stick to the tarmac.

Or, heaven forfend, you could even volunteer your services to the Trial for a day or two and legitimately get on to the rough.

• 2 weeks later...
Try Glen Nevis caravan and camping park 01397 702191 only problem it is 2 mile out of town.

Is this a cmping park as in you can pitch a tent there. I am thinking of making a last minute trip up for a couple of days of spectating. Does anybody know of any other good campsites, for tents not motorhomes.

Thanks

Looks like the trip is on, a couple of days camping in Fort William and taking in the first 2 days of the trial. Result. Can't wait. Fingers crossed the weather is good. I can't believe my wife thought it was a goo idea as well!