Fuming Hell: Carbon Monoxide ?

malcra

Over the last 12 months, I've noticed 3-4 times that come Sunday evening I've developed a serious headache after returning from a trial and wonder if anyone else gets this ? I am wondering if it is one of (or a combination of) the following

1. Bike exhaust fumes; on trials with a large entry and a short loop, people queue with their engines running and you get a lung full of fumes and CO. Especially good if people rev out their bikes before the start of a section

2. Not taking enough fluids on during the trial

3. Crash Helmet too tight ?? (or head too big)

4. Apres-trial beer

Now that its doesn't happen at every trial I'm ruling out 3 and that 4 is such a rare occurrence I can discount that too. I've not noticed my lips going pink, but having experienced some interesting after-effects of running the bike in the shed a couple of times, I do think that option 1 is a possibility. I rarely get the after effects from a road trial....

any one else noticed something similar ?

I'd go for dehydration

can be other things too.

for example do you drink loads of coffee through the week ?

If you drink enough you can get caffiene withdrawal on a sunday as presumeably your not carrying a flask with you ? I got this from a lady at work who stopped drinking coffee althogether ( one of those detox ideas ) but had a splitting headache for a couple of days until the caffiene dependancy was out of her system.

I only get a bad head if Ive been drinking heavily the night before and thats dehydration.

It has to be the fumes.

If I go to a trial which is a short loop, in the woods ,big queues then I am garanteed a headache .

Even had a couple of nose bleeds (but then I do have a big one!).

I've got a mate who's a PC and he reckons when someone's topped themselves (pre catalyst times)with the exhaust method the resulting mess when the carbon monoxide permeated their membranes was a truly horrific sight for the poor soul who discovered the body :D

On that cheerie note I think I had better sign off.

I find that 2 stroke exhaust has a rather pleasent smell, but if you really want a buzz go with starter fluid!!

Disclaimer: for those not intelligent enough to see the sarcasm and humor intended-- I am not advocating "huffing", but if you are one of those non-intelligent ones I speak of than you deserve what you get from "huffing" Enjoy!

I'd go for dehydration

can be other things too.

for example do you drink loads of coffee through the week ?

If you drink enough you can get caffiene withdrawal on a sunday as presumeably your not carrying a flask with you ?

This would happen to me when i was road racing, well pretending to road race, anyway I'm not a coffee drinker but I would drink 3 or 4 Dr peppers a day. The race track did not sell DP so i would just get water or milk that day. By about 9 pm I would have a screaming headache. I thought it was from being out in the sun too much. I found out later that 1 Dr. pepper had the same caffiene as 1/3 of a cup of coffee. Ta Da caffiene withdrawl headache. It didn't figure this out until i decided to stop drinking soda. Then i got the same vicious headaches as i did at the end of race day. btw nothing absolutely nothing gets rid of a caffeine withdrawal headache. You just gotta sit there and ride it out!!

If it's not caffeine withdrwaral I'd put my money on the fumes

ok. so rode the Wye Valley Classic trial yesterday and....

1. had a coffee before i went in the morning (my normal dosage)

2. took a 2 litre bottle of water with me, drank before the start and after 2 laps

3. took my helmet off a regular basis; helmets are v.hot even in Feb and yes, mine might be a little tight

and felt ok last night, apart from a little knacked are 40 sections of greasy climbs and mud. Good trial, and yes Pitley I am smiling despite one of my bikes seizing up....