Fed Up With Glasses

andrew d

Possibly a strange request, but have any trials riders had laser eye surgery? I am feed up wearing spectacles and have been considering this option. If any riders have had this done I would appreciate any comments or problems that may come up through trial competitions.

Andrew

I also thought about getting the laser surgery done. However, I decided against it when the doctor told me that it won't last forever since at my age (44) the eyes will change and I'll need glasses again in a few years. I'm wearing contact lenses with great success. I agree glasses suck.

Had it done about 5 years ago ( I will need to check !!!) with no problems at about 40 ish, my close up vision is a bit worse and I may need reading glasses in the future.

I used Ultralase and had no problems but I was only a -2 to -3 prescription.

The benifits are great I now dont mind riding in the rain but I still can miss flags!!!!!

I gonna stick with my glasses, I tried contacts just couldn't get myself to shove something into my eye, and I have seen a video of a Lasek eye surgery. It was right up close to the eyeball I won't get too graphic but eeeeewwwwww a flap is sliced off the cornea and then the laser hits the area under it. The flap is just laid back over no stitching I think it heals back up.

I Like glasses.

You can use a method called the bates technique to retrain the weak muscles around your eyes and relax the tight ones (allowing your eyes to regain their correct shape) but its along and dedicated process and needs to be combined with the correct exercise for your spine.

Would that be the master bates technique then?

I'm pretty sure the master bates method causes blindness, at least that's what my mom used to tell me.

I have been strongly consider lasek of which there are two methods. One is the flap as stated above the other is where the put a solution on your eye, brush the cells aside (instead of flap), do the surgery then brush the cells back over. This takes a bit longer to heal but is apparently cleaner, more natural way of healing.

I know two non-trials guys who have had this done. One was in his 40s the other just over 50. Both swear by it after some 5-6 years. You will experience some near sighted vision loss but hell I'd rather wear glasses once in a while to see things up close then to have to wear the things all damn day long.

I always though trials riders who wear glasses should be given a handicap of some sorts when its raining or fog prone weather.

Know where you are coming from as i wear glasses too.

Convinced myself for years that i couldnt wear contact lenses then after spending a fortune on every cack brained contraption to fit specs into ski goggles and prescription sunglasses, at one piont i was carrying 3 pairs with different tints, i tried daily disposable contacts. I was working as a ski instructor at the time and if you have ever tried skiing in fogged up, frosted up specs especially if worn under goggles then you havent lived. :rotfl:

The contacts transformed my skiing and my enjoyment of it. It was possibly the adoption of those lenses that gave me the impetus to start Trialling again. I agree Trials are no fun in specs.

I've never had a problen losing a lens but if you do it's amazing how you can still ski and ride with just one in. I tried it once just to find out. In fact my optician even said a lot of his patients do it so that they can read as well as see distance stuff. The brain sort of compensates and blends the vision. Not as good as wearing two but a get you home thing.

I only wear them for skiing and Trials but wouldnt be without them now they are the best piece of equipment i have ever bought.

Back to the subject. I cant bring myself to have the Laser treatment but good luck to anybody who has. I can always take my lenses out or change the prescription. Laser is permanent.

Try the daily lenses they are very thin and you soon get used to putting them in. I found the monthlys a bit thicker and more hassle what with cleaning solution etc plus the worry of damageing or losing one. Dailys just put a new one in each time and throw away at the end of the day. :D

The problem with laser eye surgery is that it hasnt been around long enough to have an understanding of what happens later on in life....i really want laser surgery but i like being able to see things as well so im gonna stick with my disposable lenses.....only cost me