Camera To Carry During A Trial

mattylad

After my experience of last week where my camera was not responding immediately when I pressed the shutter release I need a new one.

What I want is something as small as possible to fit in a riding jacket pocket. Nothing sticking out such as the lens to spoil the line of my coat or dig in when I fall off.

It must take the shot as soon as I press the button and not a second or so later when it makes up its own mind.

Do I need a digital SLR or is there something less bulky on the market.

Cheers

After my experience of last week where my camera was not responding immediately when I pressed the shutter release I need a new one.

What I want is something as small as possible to fit in a riding jacket pocket. Nothing sticking out such as the lens to spoil the line of my coat or dig in when I fall off.

It must take the shot as soon as I press the button and not a second or so later when it makes up its own mind.

Cheers

To avoid shutter lag realistically it's SLR time, however even something like the Nikon D40 or Canon 400 which are tiny would still be quite bulky to carry in a trial. I don't use "point and press" Digital cameras for the simple reason of shutter lag, I couldn't suggest anything

most digi camera's can be "pre-focused" (press button half way down) then when you fully compress the button you have instant response, well I think thats the case anyway a very good camera on a budget would be the Fuji S5600 but this could still be a bit bulky for your requirements

Firstly you can rule out a digital SLR if you want to carry it around a Trial with you. Firstly because they're bulky and secondly because they're still quite expensive!

I don't know how old your current camera is, but shutter lag isn't nearly as bad on modern compacts as it used to be. It still exists, but might not be as bad as you're used to. I'm not clued up on the compact camera scene, but always found DPReview to be a good independent site for reviews etc.

Cheers

Cheapest,(under

Edited by moleman

Just bought a camera exactly for that purpose - and I'm a pro journalist. I went for the Sony DSC T100, which is very thin, has a 3inch screen and no protruding lens. It only has a sport programme but used it on Good Friday and at the Ian Pollock Trial and the pics are pretty good. Shutter delay exists but far better than they used to be. You can live with it - it's certainly faster than my Canon S50. It's 8.1 mega pixels and I'm totally happy with it. I also have a Nikon D 50, a Canon S50, a Nikon FM2, a Nikon F90, two old Pentaxes - any bids?

a very inexpensive and user friendly camera is the hp E327 or upper models, you can store like 700 pics on it and it is easy to put inages on the net and it does video also! and it is very small, it has zoom and all the bells and wistles and i think it was like $80.00................................john

Hi all,

You'll be amazed at what you can get away with if you half-press to pre-focus and pre-expose the photo on a cheap and cheerful digicam.....but you'll still miss a lot having to spend time to do so before hand.........you certainly can't pull it out of yer pocket and fire off a few quick pics.

There is a pocket digicam that has reportably almost zero shutter lag and that's the RICOH range of cams....they apparently use some kind of hybrid auto-focus mechanism.

Most brand name manufacturers don't want speedy shutters on their cheaper line because it would affect sales of their SLR range of cams, and p**s off the pro's!

Ricoh have nothing to lose as they don't make an SLR.....I believe.

I have a Canon G7 (10mp) which has less shutter lag than it's predecessors but certainly isn't an SLR in terms of speed.

Ian.