Pro Airboxes

eiger

We have an 03 model 250 Pro and if its ridden in a wet or muddy trial the airbox starts to fill up with muddy water. We have used duct tape and applied silicon to try to help but it doesn't keep much out. I know they are known for this but our older 02 Pro had a different and much better airbox. Does anyone know of any worthwhile mods or if the 04 Pro has a better airbox and if it can be fitted to the 03?

Thanks, Eiger.

Has your airbox been split in two & fixed back together using a good quality sealant in the joint? When you buy a bike off White Bros they do this as part of the initial PDI. I had an 03 Pro & the only other thing I did was put a liberal coating of grease round the lid seal every time I changed the Air filter, I had no problem with it for all last year. To date I've done exactly the same with my 04 bike & had no problems.

I left the hole at the bottom of the air box on 03 GG open all the time, anything that goes in, comes straight out and it worked. The whole on the 04 GG is bigger and the flap is hopeless so duct taped it up. 04 still gets water in tho but probably most of it is off power wash

speak to gg uk tjey have the mods , in short remove air box from mudguard /seat unit and silicon aruond the faces refit and blather silicon all around any joints then order mudflap for front mudguard ,shield for front of frame and larger rubber boot for top of frame, and thicker silicon tube for under seat dont worry its only cheap for all 4 parts and dont forget to put a small amount of grease smeared around seat before refitting ..... and it still leaks! so keep a spare filter handy !!! (yes i know all you beta riders never suffer any of these probs but hey we are wtc indoor champs so they arnt meant to be waterproof !!!!) :blink:not sure if not taping the hole up is a good idea if you live somewhere wet like yorkshire

Edited by lastplacebrad

Surprised to hear you had a much better filter housing on an 02 than an 03. I have an 02 pro and my only gripe is the air box. I bought it from White Bros and Al did all the mods. I would hate to see it if he hadn't. Al silicones all the seams and fitted a rubber around the frame in front of the at the top of the shock. On my bike there is a hole for the seat to clip into and no seal around the seat but 03 and 04 gas gas have these altered and i thought they were much better. I change my filter after every ride, wash out air box and dry with compressed air. Strip and clean carb every 4 weeks or sooner if i've been in really wet or muddy trial. At the end of the day all bikes are ridden in terrible conditions and i reckon you should carry out as much preventative maintenance as possible.

Windlestone, forgot to mention that the 02 Pro is a 200 model and has not caused us the slightest problem in relation to water/mud ingress into the air filter. Access to the element is from the side and the element is always bone dry. As for the 03 Pro we have the front mudflap, frame shield and thicker rubber seal aroung seat lid and the airbox was split and resealed when new 8 mths ago. I might split myself and try again. There is obviously something amiss as its so bad (despite much silicon and duct tape) we are thinking of getting rid for a Beta or a Sherco. The Gasser is a great bike to ride and starts well from cold but is a pig to start from warm sometimes.

Thanks for all the tips folks.

Eiger.

Windlestone, forgot to mention that the 02 Pro is a 200 model

Ah, now it makes more sense. I know the 2003 box was better than the '02 one.

I agree with jrsunt though, if carefully sealed, there is really little place for water to get in, except when in water over the seat...then nothing short of a scuba tank will help B)

I think this applies to all modern bikes that now have a fender/ mudguard that sits on top of the airbox, is two in" wide at the tail end, and most of the sheet ends up down your back, they are know built for looks rather than the function of stopping water and dirt getting all over the rider and bike, on the older bikes the fender used to be shaped to protect both and continued down between the wheel and airbox.

When the bikes are built and tested in hot dry countries, maybe the old mud water problem isn't a big a concern to them, until the real test pilots gets it into the bogs and slop around the world and complaints start finding the way back to the factory.

The truth is if a rear fender was made that totally protected both bike and rider, 99% of people would buy the none functional type for no other reason than it looks good.

E by gum!! they don't make them like they used too when I wer a lad B)

;)

As seemingly useless as modern rear fenders are, I can assure you that they ARE better than nothing. Last fall I had to ride out of my riding area without a rear fender (not an uncommon sight for me B) )...the mud and water was spraying clean over my head!! I'd ridden for over an hour completely dry and was soaked to the skin in a 3 min ride back over the same terrain I came in on.

<in best Yorkshire accent> ...when I was a lad.... :D

Eiger.. I've heard beta's have problems with electrics and don't steer very well. Sherco's sound and look loverly but rear silencers are prone to go and you can't repack them and they are expensive. Think i'll keep cleaning out my air box. Wonder if your 02 200 air box might fit my 02 250? the 04 air boxes cost about

until the real test pilots gets it into the bogs and slop around the world and complaints start finding the way back to the factory.

Ishy It seems the air box complaint is taking a long time to get back to the factory

vinnie