He'll Go In The Huff.....

slapshot 3

The only non-standard items are the Pirelli tyres which are MT43, but sourcing the original Firestone or Dunlop Trials Universals is impossible now.

I thought about mentioning that but I didn't want to be accused of being an anorak! I have a pic at home (somewhere) of me sitting on my dads new bult of the same vintage. The tyres are blindingly obvious. The tread pattern is so different to what you're used to.

John

I hope you are going to ride this bike in a club trial in the future - seems too good to just leave lying about on show.

I doubt very much the wheel rims, crank cases and hubs were mirror polished when the bike was new - looks good though!

• 3 weeks later...
It's a series 1 model 49, I think the later ones were polished alloy with a different bar clamp. However if I could be bothered, polishing is an option, but there are plenty enough polished parts to clean as it stands!

Big John

I was surfing the web and ran across pictures of this bike and had to register to ask a couple questions...

First, a very nice restoration. I've yet to see a Bultaco that nice.

There was a discussion on the Bultaco Owners Forum about the changes made to the M49 (I have what is probably a middle-run M49) during it's production.

One of the things under discussion was the changes made to the rear shock location and the airbox.

M49 Variations

I documented the change on the webpage linked above. Notice that the top shock location was apparently moved forward on the later bikes.

John, I'd be interested in knowing where in the serial numbers your bike is. I don't need the exact number but is it before 2425? The reason I ask is that your bike appears to have the later shock mounts, but what is also interesting is that you have the earlier front frame section (single down tube that splits under the engine, whereas the later ones split at the front of the engine).

I hope you don't mind all of the questions. I'm just trying to document the changes made to the M49. Thanks!

(My top clamp is also painted, I'm not sure when they went polished)