Sick Of It

neonsurge

I've recently realised that I have no interest in riding my bike any more. I still love the sport and actually look forward to events so I can go and observe but as far as actually chucking a leg over the Rev3, I simply can't be bothered. It's disappointing in some ways because riding 2 or 3 times a week is really the only serious exercise I get these days (and bloody good exercise it is, especially when you're lifting the bike off yourself as often as I am) but my last couple of outings have confirmed that I'm just not enjoying it any more. Ability-wise I reached a (low) plateau some time ago and since then there's been absolutely zero progress. This is in contrast to how things have been for the past few years when an hour spent in front of the telly during the day was a wasted hour when I could be out on the bike.

Has anyone else experienced a sudden loss of motivation and interest and how did you overcome it? I have extremely modest ambitions as a rider - one day I'd like to be able to ride the clubman A class and not finish in last place but mainly I ride for the exercise and enjoyment and the enjoyment's not there any more. I guess I could accept that it's one of those things, sell the bike and spend the rest of my Sundays as an observer and spectator.

I know that this reads like a "Dear Auntie" letter from the problem page of a women's magazine and in some ways that's kinda what it is. Any tips on how to get my enthusiasm back or would I be better off asking this question in "Bella", "Women's Own" or "Emo Shandy-Drinking Poofter Monthly"?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres no easy answer i'm afraid, if the enjoyments gone , its gone. i have experienced this many times, road racing, road riding, MX, enduro, trail riding. i have done the lot, and at some time or another i have just lost interest, stopped going and lost touch with friends. i came back to trials at the age of 38 after a 22 year break, i ride when i feel like riding now, not every weekend . i ride at a level i feel comfortable with, and with like minded people. it fits my lifestyle very well. i hope you stick with it, these low points can be hard to get through.

regards paul

I found myself in the same situation about 12 months ago after each trial i kept asking myself why am i bothering? cos i wasn't enjoyin it. i decided to take a brake from riding an observe or atleat go watch, after a couple of months i decided to give it another go and if i still wasn't ejoying riding i'd get rid of the bike 12 months on and i'm enjoying my riding more than ever i'm still crap but least i'm enjoying it again, tis true what they say a rest is as good as a change ( in my case anyway) ;)

Take up something really dull for a few weeks....like, well, I was gonna say golf, but there's probably loads of golf lovers on here...ah well, said it now so its too late...and then, maybe after a few weeks, the joy of a ride on yer Beta will return!

Good luck.

And..hey..whats wrong with Shandy ;)

I had a low last year and sold the bike and packed it in. This was partly due to getting injured too many times and being very competitive. After finally beating all the better riders in my class, I realised that I wasn't going to be able to progess to the next level so I became de-motivated. However this year, I got motivated again when the Forest Trophy Trial came around, got another bike and have ridden a few trials since. I rode one last Sunday (4th trial I have ridden this year) and met up with a few of the guys I use to ride with and we went round together and had a great time. Dropped the competitive aspect of it and just had a good laugh. I actually enjoyed it immensely and didn't bother about how I was doing in the trial score wise.

I'm not going to get into it big time again but the bike's still there If I want to have a play when the mood takes me and thats fine :unsure:

As regards fitness!! now that is a problem ;)

P.s Stu... There now't wrong with golf ;)

I've been going through a similar spell just lately, I just ride when I want to ride and only do the sort of trials which suit me. (Easy ones) if I get there and I can't be bothered then I just observe instead. If it's raining I don't go.

Call me a wimp, but a good friend once said to me 'there's more to life than motorbikes you know!' and I couldn't understand what he meant at the time.... now I get it.

Ride for enjoyment; if you're not enjoyig it - don't.

Leave off the riding for a month. Instead of going to a Trial on a Sunday morning, offer to go shopping with your other half for the next three Sundays in a row. Make sure the shopping trip last for five hours and make sure you visit every available store at least three times. Stand outside the changing rooms for about two of those hours and make sure your other half spends all of your available cash and better have your credit card handy as well.

What about the fourth Sunday I hear you ask? Enter a Trial and have some fun, you will never feel down about riding again! ;)

Been through similar periods myself over the years (I started in 1973). Having a break for a few weeks does help, as does riding in some new locations if you can. Even Low North Park can get a bit same-old if you ride there 20 or 30 times year and see the same faces each time. Riding trials with mates helps greatly, but not everyone has a riding partner.

Also if you've friends outside trials who are keen on other sports it can be good to chat to them; some of their enthusiasm can rub off on you so you feel energised to have a good crack at your own sport.

Sounds like you may have arrived at the stage where your riding has reached a stale point from a skills point of view, i.e. repeating the same mistakes on each outing so confidence decreases. Could try a practice trip where you just concentrate on two or three sections, analysing what you're doing wrong (a mate can help with this), applying some fixes and having a target of cleaning each section three times on the trot before you go home. Just imagining yourself doing it right goes a long way towards making it happen. Even if you don't reach this target I bet your performance improves through the day and you'll feel better about things.

A new bike or riding gear has also been known to bring some riders out of the doldrums sometimes.

If you love the sport, and I'm sure you do, it's actually quite difficult to walk away from it.

Hi NeonSurge,

I rode as a kid (in the 70's) and at 17 sold my Bultaco - cars had greater attraction.

More than 20 years on, when my lad got to 8 or 9 he nagged me to death for a bike till I gave in and bought him one.

The first time I rode his bike I felt like a teenager and was hooked all over again.

With the excuse that I needed to ride with him I bought myself a bike.

We don't ride competitions and aren't members of a club, we just ride together for the fun of it. I coach him, he challenges me.

I'm not saying you need a 20 year break, but a break gave my enthusiasm a huge boost.

Couple that with the enjoyment of seeing my lad develop and I'm getting that buzz I had at 16.

You and I spoke at Hawkstone, you thought your lad was developing well on his onza and might get a real bike soon.

Maybe that'll be the boost you need.

Maybe we need to meet up for a 4-some sometime.

Fancy that?

Ability-wise I reached a (low) plateau some time ago and since then there's been absolutely zero progress.
I'm still on the sharp end of the learning curve because I haven't been riding long and I'm crap. That means that every outing is still an adventure!

In lots of sports and activities it is common to reach a plateau once you get reasonably competent. From then on the rewards are harder to get, because you improve at a much slower rate and it takes much more work to improve. At this point there are really three options:

- quit and find something else to to

- continue less competitevely (and often less frequently) for fun

- keep working at it

I have no idea how well you ride, and I may be givign an egg-sucking lesson, but it might be worth considering some training to help get you past the plateau. Have you tried Steve Saunders' trials school? If you haven't I'd bet good money that investing a day and

Go ride the Scottish, after that! everything else is just a play day ;)

Were just a bunch of lad's mucking about on the hillside or in't beck hole for the fun of it, it doesn't matter where you place in an event, it's taking part that keeps you young at heart.

In't end were all banner die, so mek best of getting 't end.

Whatever bikes ive owned ive always owned and ridden for fun & to overcome challenges for myself and only myself. I'm not knocking healthy competition but the only time i have ever been sick of bikes is when the competition element is forced down my throat. We are taught to be competetive in life or feel mediocre or as if we have failed-I say F**** o** to that i'll compete as and when it suits me, but i ride for my pleasure and enjoyment. I'm a beleiver that not everything in life has to be a competition and that if you are not No 1 its not worth doing. Personally i feel this conditioning and marketing in the motorcycle world has killed the enjoyment and turned many away. I'm sure you are better than I at this, take a break and allow yourself some slack fora while-It should be fun, you love riding motorcycles, do it when & how you want. If you really arnt enjoying it unless you can be any more competative then i think the other blokes above have suggested everything i can think of already. But all ican say is i hope you work it through and enjoy whatever you do, be a shame if you felt you had to duck out for good.