Sick Of It

neonsurge

I've recently realised that I have no interest in riding my bike any more. I still love the sport and actually look forward to events so I can go and observe but as far as actually chucking a leg over the Rev3, I simply can't be bothered. It's disappointing in some ways because riding 2 or 3 times a week is really the only serious exercise I get these days (and bloody good exercise it is, especially when you're lifting the bike off yourself as often as I am) but my last couple of outings have confirmed that I'm just not enjoying it any more. Ability-wise I reached a (low) plateau some time ago and since then there's been absolutely zero progress. This is in contrast to how things have been for the past few years when an hour spent in front of the telly during the day was a wasted hour when I could be out on the bike.

Has anyone else experienced a sudden loss of motivation and interest and how did you overcome it? I have extremely modest ambitions as a rider - one day I'd like to be able to ride the clubman A class and not finish in last place but mainly I ride for the exercise and enjoyment and the enjoyment's not there any more. I guess I could accept that it's one of those things, sell the bike and spend the rest of my Sundays as an observer and spectator.

I know that this reads like a "Dear Auntie" letter from the problem page of a women's magazine and in some ways that's kinda what it is. Any tips on how to get my enthusiasm back or would I be better off asking this question in "Bella", "Women's Own" or "Emo Shandy-Drinking Poofter Monthly"?

yes i had that and i gave up :blink: but dont do that because you will miss it soooooo much because that what happened to me and now im getting another bike and starting it up again :P sooo really just keep on riding and you will pull through the 'ruff patch'

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Clean Posted Today, 11:19 AM

Whatever you do in the game of life, keep it interesting and inspiring for you. Show up at a Trial dressed as a balerina, it could give you a competetive advantage. I did that once at a martial arts tournament, I cleaned up my division, my opponents couldn't stop laughing!! Thanks to Dennis Rodman for that inspiration!

We had an event near Halloween and my 2 riding buddies showed up as a King and Ceaser. So I did the only thing possible in that situation, I rolled out the red carpet for the King to walk each section, and yelled "Hail Ceaser" when Ceaser rode a section.

Apparently riding in a toga is very difficult.

but when you ride like we do ya need to make it fun.

Ride in some Hare and Hounds or Enduro events . You'll soon see , it beats trials hands down.

Trials riders are only trials riders because they havent discovered Enduro. :blink:

Look on the bright side Neon, you could live down south :P

Ride in some Hare and Hounds or Enduro events . You'll soon see , it beats trials hands down.
I went to have a look at a Hare and Hounds for the first time at the weekend. Judging by the tightness of the course a bit of trials experience would probably come in very handy!

It looks like a whole lot of fun. Much more technical than I expected, and not just thrashing round like a long distance MX race which was what I had imagined.

I am now definitely looking for a 250 enduro bike for next year. I'll keep the Rev3, so I'm not completely crossing over to the dark side! :blink:

Enduro? Been there, done that, got the scars. In fact, I went from trials to enduro and back to trials again. I currently have a Honda CRM sitting in the garage alongside the Beta but I think the most action that bike's going to see in the future is a bit of gentle trailriding. Nah, enduros are cool and all that but it's the relaxed, sociable aspects of trials I like - I'll leave all that daft high-speed thrashing around forests to the kids :blink:

The more I think about the classic/twin-shock thing, the more I like the idea.

Twin shock thing really worth ago. I bought a fantic 200 at the end of last year and always have such fun on it - also seem to find most people who ride one are more willing to just laugh when it goes wrong - friendly competition if you get me.

Might even improve your riding for if/when you feel like getting back on the mono?

AAHHH the trials and tribulations, think of it this way, would i prefer to be a spectatator in a wheel chair forever OR? would i be better to take step back, think to myself, i have a lot to be thankful for and at least i can still get out there when and how i please ! After all it is a trial (test),not an ease.

Or, you could shift to New zealand, where you can get a carpark anywhere, drink the water out of the tap without gagging, the icecream is the worlds best and! if you get bored there are probably two million acres that you can play on without 5000 little darlings on their MX bike s riding 'round with a death wish and searching for the next cheap thrill.

Also get a lesson, one on one, from a good rider who can give you at least three good pointers to help you gain more confidence.

You'll be surprised! Good luck .

AAHHH the trials and tribulations, think of it this way, would i prefer to be a spectatator in a wheel chair forever OR? would i be better to take step back, think to myself, i have a lot to be thankful for and at least i can still get out there when and how i please ! After all it is a trial (test),not an ease.

Or, you could shift to New zealand, where you can get a carpark anywhere, drink the water out of the tap without gagging, the icecream is the worlds best and! if you get bored there are probably two million acres that you can play on without 5000 little darlings on their MX bike s riding 'round with a death wish and searching for the next cheap thrill.

Also get a lesson, one on one, from a good rider who can give you at least three good pointers to help you gain more confidence.

Shift to new Zealandfor the ice cream? Are you serious?

Shift to new Zealandfor the ice cream? Are you serious?

Well, you could do worse ! Like give up trials riding.

I know this suggestion relies on having the right bike, but I've got a trail bike on which I can ride the easy route in the Sammy Miller Classic series and in Long Distance Trials. If you can have a go at some of these on either a trail or a classic (twinshock) you will find that they are brilliant value for money. Four or five hours riding, with no pressure to win on (generally) easy sections.

I usually think I've ridden rubbish but still beat loads of people, so it goes to prove that the winning isn't the reason to ride for the majority.

Smiles all around. Give it a go if you can. B)

Cant beat trying something New M.bro DMC have some brand new land! Th trial is next week (sept 9th) Scotland Farm Snilsworth Moor (not far from Chequers) nr Osmotherley, - A good rocky stream & rocky out crops. e-mail me if you want some info, but like they say "Variety is the Spice of Life" - maybe worth another Go. However the club is always needing observers.