What Is The Bhp Of Your Average Trials Bike?

thespikeyone

Hi all,

I am in a hurry to get my bike licence so I can do the jersey 2 day and some other road trials, now I have booked my test in lincoln (10th sept) but all the training companies I have rang are all fully booked for direct access until oct :blink: but a couple of them said if I was on 125 they might be able to fit me in, but if I do it on a 125 I will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. I have seen something on this forum about the bhp of a trials bike but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. So what is the bhp of a trials bike? I am pretty sure it's much lower than 33 but I just want to make sure. Also how many lessons did it take you folks to get up to test standard, I am a reasonable rider and don't think I will need that many lessons.

Cheers

Spike

Edited by thespikeyone

I recall Steve Berry (old Top Gear presenter) having a try at trials about 10 years ago.

He stood next to a gas gas txt270 and a TYZ 250, he stated that these machines push out about 16 horse power...so even allowing for 10 years worth of development I don't think any current trials bike would have more than 20bhp.

If that guestimate is not accurate enough for you ...try some of the European trial mags, I'm sure they dyno' their test bikes!

It might have been a french mag but it was definately written in French (which I can't read)and the only thing that made any sense was the dyno' stats'.

You'll never guess which make was the most powerful????? :blink:

HAM2 Posted Today, 06:57 AM

You'll never guess which make was the most powerful?????

Ossa?

Hodaka?

SWM?

surely not Harley?

:P:blink:

:( Nowhere near........ I'll give you a clue (not that I'm xenophobic or anything)FRENCH journalism,FRENCH test,FRENCH bias ,FRENCH:moon:

Just a thought. I thought that the power limit was actually based on power to wieght ratio with 33bhp just being a guide.

I could be wrong, anyone know for sure?

If you are 17 or over you can do a restricted "full test" that will limit you to 33BHP for 2 years ( I wasn't informed of any power to weight ratio at the time I done mine 08/2000) But if you are 21 or over you can do a "direct access" course allowing you to ride any size bike upon passing the test.

As far as lesons go I done mine after riding a 50cc for a year on the old CBT in a 4 day course, which was 3 days training then the test on the 4th.

Great fun was the order of the day at my training centre, hope you get what you want and most of all enjoy yourself but mind they bleeding car drivers!

If you are 17 or over you can do a restricted "full test" that will limit you to 33BHP for 2 years

So what's the actual procedure then? I assume it's similar to a car test in that you'll have to do theory (which they're making even more bloody expensive from September!) and then a pratical test. Wishful thinking but I don't suppose you can ride a a bike on a car license like you can with a tractor (with width and trailer restrictions)?

Edited by Beta120690

You need to do a theory yes, think you need to do this before you book your training so you can go ahead and do your test straight after the training whilst all is still fresh.

As with all tests this is easy enough so long as you have a good read up on all the rules, regs, road signs etc. And pay attention at the test not trying to rush through it!

The bike test itself is again fun as long as you relax and do as advised :blink: