Bultaco Model 198b

greeves

Hi there: there is a debate in Spain about the model 198B. Some say it never existed, some say there where very few bikes produced and all exported to UK and France, even some say it had only 5 speed, not 6 as the 199B.

All the Bultaco documets from the factory disapeared when it close in the 80

Edited by Greeves

Hola Snr. Greeves,

I know of such an unrestored bike 198B 250cc 1983 I think, I saw it last week when I was down at the Scott Trial!

I will send you a note of its whereabouts and you can contact the owner for details!

Regards

Big John

Yes Greeves - they did come into UK.

I rode one for quite a few years - and when my son first started riding he had one also.

They were the same in appearnace as 340 - white frame, rectangular s/arm, de-looped frame.

I also sold at least 1 new one in S.Wales. They are a super little bike - and for me at least a lot better to ride than the 340.

I am fairly sure Dave Renham had a scruffy one for sale about a year ago - as I was thinking of buying it off him - wish I had now ( how often do we say that?)

If you get a chance tobuy one - a good little bike - probably the best one.

Thanks John Collins and Big John: I have a friend here with a nice and big twinshock collection, last friday (puclic holliday in Spain) he came to ryde in my home near Segovia. He asked me if I have one 198B as he has been looking for one in Spain for a long time. I thought that model was easy to find, but; big surprise for me :D ; there are none here in Spain.

It would be nice to know the total production of those bikes, my friend says there where built less than 200 units, and that sounds a very little number to me. Do you know if they had 5 or 6 speed??? And founding 1 or 2 to buy for my friend and me is "science fiction" or something possible???

Thanks John Collins and Big John: I have a friend here with a nice and big twinshock collection, last friday (puclic holliday in Spain) he came to ryde in my home near Segovia. He asked me if I have one 198B as he has been looking for one in Spain for a long time. I thought that model was easy to find, but; big surprise for me :D ; there are none here in Spain.

It would be nice to know the total production of those bikes, my friend says there where built less than 200 units, and that sounds a very little number to me. Do you know if they had 5 or 6 speed??? And founding 1 or 2 to buy for my friend and me is "science fiction" or something possible???

Dear Greeves,

I used to ride a 198-b in the Schoolboy A class national championship. It was supplied by Sapphire motorcycles in Cumbria. I still have the original handbook, tools and bumbag. I also have many pictures if that would help?

Hi Chaps

I have a 198b owned from new and unrestored apart from a tank repaint following a bit of prang in the late 80's (and managing to get the replacement decals ex Sammy miller in the wrong place)

I had the wheels respoked with stainless spokes about 15 yearrs ago by Hagons - I added a set of sticky michs about 3 years ago (I still have the Pirelli originals - look like new but hard as a rock) and a new set of falcons this year. other than that it's exactly as I bought it.

Ride wise I only ever use 1st and occasionally 2nd - its 5 speed and even 3rd is a bit high with 4 and 5 useless other than on the road.

How do I insert pics?

Paul Mac

Hi Paul: To insert pics directly I think you have to be a site supporter. If you are not you can go to www.imageshack.us or any similar page, host there the photos and then copy the link in your post.

Thanks for the info. Maybe you want to sell that bike and send it to Spain??

In my 199B I use the Michelins with the Magicals shocks (developed last year by Mick Andrews). I tell you they are really magicals. Pirelli as you say are hard like rocks, maybe in sand there are not so bad, but in wet rocks..... those tyres are dangerous.

How do I insert pics?

Paul Mac

I think I posted a guide here not too long ago on pictures.

Basically get a place that hosts (I use Photobucket) and then put a link here. Photobucket is nice because it "automatically" copied the link for you when you click on it (you have to try it to see what I mean).

The downside to Photobucket is that sometimes it seems slow to upload, but since it's free I ain't exactly complainint too loudly.

Hola Snr. Greeves,

I know of such an unrestored bike 198B 250cc 1983 I think, I saw it last week when I was down at the Scott Trial!

I will send you a note of its whereabouts and you can contact the owner for details!

Regards

Big John

It looked well when I saw it this afternoon.