Sherco Engine Removal Pt2 ..can't Split Cases

ham2

Is there some invisible ,magic power which holds my crankcases together?

1)All bolts are out.

2)'Cases well smacked (with a rubber mallet).

3)Gasket 'seal' is broken and weeping (like me ;) ).

4)'Cases are 1-2mm apart but not forthcoming.

The reason I started this overhaul was that my engine ran poorly at tick-over and the bearings sounded 'swishy'.

There was/is no detectable play in the crank at all ?? so i'm guessing the mains were just rusty and this is all that is holding the crankshafts in place (so securely?).

Has anyone out there got any tips for my situation ..please?....

or do I try my 4ft paviors mallet that I've just used to finish the patio ?

Wayne

Edited by HAM2

Put the case screws back in and leave them out about 1/16 inch, take a round punch and put in the center of the screw, lightly tap each one. Then repete again this will walk the cases apart.

Most likely it is hanging up around the crank area.

Put the case screws back in and leave them out about 1/16 inch, take a round punch and put in the center of the screw, lightly tap each one. Then repete again this will walk the cases apart.

Most likely it is hanging up around the crank area.

Ahhhh...thanks rlracer for that answer to my query, sounds good to me, I'm going straight home now to try that out.

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by HAM2

Hopefully the above stated methods will work, otherwise you need a specialty "dead blow" plastic hammer so as not to damage things!

OR try a good wooden block to drive the end of the crankshaft if that is what is stuck! You should be able to tell if it is the crank end that is stuck if they are already moved apart somewhat! ;)

Forgive me for asking Ham.... but

have you been on longer fitting these bearings than Coronation Street has been running?

Windlestone...I never do anything in a hurry,I'm normally last to finish a trial even if I'm first to start.

Thanks for the advice fellas,it seemed to be my lack of brute force that was the problem,the swishy bearings are out now.

I have found that Pedro or Pepe from the Sherco production line couldn't be ar5ed to ensure that the mains seal was in level/flush ( I hope the Chinese are reading this) as there was evidence of a little blow-by at the crank.

I do hope I have found the reason my bike had a poor idle/low rev performance.

I know a couple of TC people out there are in the same boat as me with their engine problems so this is one of the reasons behind these postings (apart from the fact that prior to this I've only opened 1 engine, 14 years ago !!).

That's the dismantling done so now to some serious 'mantling'.

Thanks again,

Watch this space ;)

Forgive me for asking Ham.... but

have you been on longer fitting these bearings than Coronation Street has been running?

I reckon 4 months from the first time he mentioned it and he's only got the engine out of the frame this week. So by the time he's finished........................ ;)

Hey Ham2

I am finding your adventures of engine rebuild very interesting,

I am planning on splitting the cases of my 2000 2.9 to do crank seals, bearings, rings, etc. etc. lots of stuff.

So please continue to post so as I can learn before I do the teardown.

I am hoping to have a fire breathing monster when I am done, or at least alot better low end performance and throttle response.

Hey Ham2

I am planning on splitting the cases of my 2000 2.9 to do crank seals, bearings, rings, etc. etc. lots of stuff.

I am hoping to have a fire breathing monster when I am done, or at least alot better low end performance and throttle response.

Oh crap, here we go again!

Nice winter project, hu?

Got your BIG hammer out? Ready to go? ;)

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:01 PM

QUOTE(ZIPPY @ Nov 15 2007, 06:52 PM)

Hey Ham2

Oh crap, here we go again!

Nice winter project, hu?

Got your BIG hammer out? Ready to go?

Gotta have a winter project to keep me sane and out of the way of the missus. I tend to drive her insane during the winter months.

I am skipping the BIG hammer and going straight for the BIG F@#$$%^ HAMMER!

Don't forget the duct tape and bailin' twine. ;)

Hey Ham2

If you're planning ahead:-

The bible for Sherco maintanence....Sherco usa tech stuff..take your pick.

I did watch no.11 on this list:-

....gasgas engine strip ...

..but remember it is not real (tv land pre-preparation!..''fortunately I have one here which I prepared earlier'') and I had to laugh/cry when the guy lightly tapped the inside of the crankcases to split them. :thumbup:

But it's all helpful, just like the TC people ;)

P.S. This bloke..inspirational..he didn't give up....Beta engine strip

Edited by HAM2

If you're planning ahead:-

The bible for Sherco maintanence....Sherco usa tech stuff..take your pick.

I did watch no.11 on this list:-

....gasgas engine strip ...

..but remember it is not real (tv land pre-preparation!..''fortunately I have one here which I prepared earlier'') and I had to laugh/cry when the guy lightly tapped the inside of the crankcases to split them. :thumbup:

But it's all helpful, just like the TC people ;)

Funny they never show you what a real pain can be in them manuals! BFH is always next to last resort

There is always the Cutting Torch! :D