Protection, Do We Need It?

majestyman340 Posted Today, 03:37 AM

For anyone other than a raw beginner, the difference between riding in full MX gear and proper apparel designed for trials is immediately obvious, however if those that favour the MX gear, dont even want to try the trials specific items, then thats fine by me, as long as they dont deride the proper gear without having tried it themselves.

ZIPPY Posted Mar 13 2008, 06:54 AM

OK not to be a jerk (although I can be good at it) There has been much mention of "trials specific" gear. What gear is out there that is trials specific?

All I know of are

Helmets

Boots

Gloves, (I use some MX gloves that work really nice and hold up well)

I suppose those tight spandex type pants could be counted as trials specific but I don't see any protection factor to them and there are very few of us that can successfully wear them without looking goofy.

Just wanting to know what is out there.

So what other "proper trials gear" is out there that will provide protection. Not just ease of movement, because protection seems to be what those that are wearing MX gear are looking for.

I am still gonna ride in my short pants.

• 2 months later...
I suppose those tight spandex type pants could be counted as trials specific but I don't see any protection factor to them and there are very few of us that can successfully wear them without looking goofy.

Love this thread. When I first got into trials I saw the prices of the specialty gear and about died. Set myself up for MX style dirt riding for $300-$500.

I bought my trials gear by priority-

1) Boots- gotta have the boots- got Gaernes- $350 w/shipping- worth every dime.

2) Helmet- I have had neck problems so the weight off my neck was main idea. Was just wearing an old 3/4, but the Shiro Matrix is much lighter/cooler.$300

3)Pants- Ok this was the tough one. Didnt think I needed them, Levis felt fine. But I was encouraged to buy them and did get the XCting pants. $165- (since I paid that for the pants I went ahead and got the jersey :( ) Pants are great because-

a) I was having trouble with inconsistant fit of my boots, each time I stuffed my pant legs in them I had to redo buckles, now boots fit perfect every time.

b)they have built in knee pads- I will not ride without knee pads and these are far more comfortable than the MX variety.

c) I probably look pretty goofy, but the wife likes them!

I am 50+ years old and most of recent bike injuries have been low speed stuff. Getting slammed down on frozen ground hurts much more than soft dirt, and twice this spring I couldnt ride for a week after my bike ejected me (learning how well these tires connect). I only have a few months of above freezing weather and I dread not being able to ride because of an injury. If knee pads and elbow pads keep me riding, I'll wear them! I'd wear more gear but it just gets too hot- even in winter riding.

My Clice pants dont have knee pads in.......

post-746-1214039316.jpg

OUCH

I just had an incident several days ago that renewed my reasons for wearing all the gear I do.

I was practicing on a hill about 100' in length , 50 degree slope with 3 ledges about 2'high +/- just far enough apart so that as soon as the rear tire is on top of 1 the front tire contacts the base of the next.

Just as I reach the top ledge with the rear tire, I'm not sure what happened but I think a rock kicked the rear out sideways , and the bike go's down instantly, my heel somehow gets caught on the top of the ledge and I fall backwards off the ledge ,landing flat on my back and began somersaulting backwards down the hill , :o I managed to grab a small tree on the third go around to stop my tumble.After figuring out which way was up :blink: I assesed the damage .......... none , despite several back flops down a rock strewn hill :D Ilive to ride anouther day :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read the forum from beginning to end and a few things stand out for me. Most riders are not knowlegeable regarding the forces involved in causing injury and therfore put faith where they shouldn't.

Most people put faith in equipment that cannot prevent injury but allows them to feel protected and therefore safe, a riders "blanket" for want of a better term.

Bad news protective gear will only protect you from minor injury the kind that hurts like hell but doesn't involve being airlifted to hospital. If you fall and your bike falls on you a roost deflector won't stop broken ribs. This is because the impact doesn't break them, the crushing force does, think of squeezing a flexible compressible chest between two hard objects, once you reach a certain amount of pressure the ribs break (think of bending a green stick until it breaks). So a "chest protector" is really a roost deflector and works very well in that regard. If you want your roost guard to stop the pain of golfball sized rocks hitting your chest when doing mx great, if you want rib protection buy a suit of armour. People who wear roost gaurds and think that they are safe from rib fracture are in denial. Let me tell you, your bike falls on you nothing is going to protect your ribs.

If you go over the bars and put out your arms to cushion your fall how do you protect your wrists??? you cant simple as that. Don't put out your arms and roll.

Knee braces will help with impact protection and hyperextension(knee bending backwards) but if you rotate your knee i.e. keep your foot still and turn your body and keep going goodbye ligaments, nothing will stop that kind of injury sorry to say.

I could keep going on and on but I have made my point. Protective gear has limits and when significant force is applied to a body the kind that breaks bones and dislocates joints i.e high speed/significant force very little can help you.

Trails has more in common with mountain biking than MX IMO. Here, head injury, facial bone fracture, collar bone fracture, wrist and arm injury dominate. So protect these areas and don't put out your arms when you fall and roll if you can.

I wear quality trials style boots, knee guards, elbow guards, excellent helmet (open face), goggles when riding through forest from section to section, gloves ect.

As always the best safety equipment is your brain, don't do stupid things without planning them.

The most important thing is if it is difficult going get a spotter to control the bike because it is the most dangerous thing around you, next get rid of sharp sticks around a section you are going to do that you can fall on. Walk the section and plan it and put a spotter where you are nervous. Realistically trials should cause less severe injuries than other forms of motorcycling because of the lack of speed but you need to control the bike to be safe.

yea what you said and that is why I wear:

gloves

NZI Trivent helmet

Trials boots

Ankle braces (I twisted one up really bad and having the braces makes me "feel" safe, they are my blanket)

T-shirt

Shorts.

All the important bits are protected.

Being able to move freely to roll, dodge, weave or hop or whatever to lessen the impact of your fall and get out of the way of the bike is more important than stopping a scrape or two. Just my opinion.

gloves

NZI Trivent helmet

Trials boots

Ankle braces (I twisted one up really bad and having the braces makes me "feel" safe, they are my blanket)

T-shirt

Shorts.

Being able to move freely to roll, dodge, weave or hop or whatever to lessen the impact of your fall and get out of the way of the bike is more important than stopping a scrape or two. Just my opinion.

Bare knees but ankle braces are you mad?

Nigel Dabster Posted Today, 12:38 AM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ Jul 2 2008, 08:04 PM) *

gloves

NZI Trivent helmet

Trials boots

T-shirt

Shorts.

Bare knees but ankle braces are you mad?

Well to do this sport you have to be a little bit crazy.

The shorts are actually motocross pants that the lower legs zip off to make shorts. So the knees are sort of covered.

The shorts are very comfortable, I stay cool on hot days, they are loose and allow free movement.

I have yet to scrape or cut my knees, I do say yet because I imagine it is only a matter of time but that is a risk I am willing to take for the above mentioned benefits. If it is cold out I put the lower legs back on.

Yep maybe I am a bit mad. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My Clice pants dont have knee pads in.......

post-746-1214039316.jpg

I can tell that the knee in the pic was protected by a brace, but no protection for the knee cap! Riding on granite, a lot, these are the first things to go on for me. The youth(small)mx knee/ shin guards tuck in top of boots and work well, and have saved me from the same injury several times!

I have seen several ride in short pants, but the same boots and guards apply! And yes, it gets very hot here! :wall:

• 3 weeks later...
OOOHhhhhh, that's an even better trick than hitting your friend's kill switch as you pass 'em. Pull the inflation cord and take off....

Have you tried kicking their bike into gear whilst they wait in line for the section, usually quite funny.

Edited by PERCE