08 4rt Worth It ?

trevorsa

I've had a Montesa 1998 315R for many years and I'm keen to get a new bike. Quite attached to Montesa for some reason .... but not sure if a brand new 2008 4RT is worth the money. Would a good condition 2005/6/7 be a better bet ?

Anything specifically a problem on 2005-2007 models that has been sorted on the 2008 model ?

My fellow riders do quite rightly point out that I could buy a 2008 Gas Gas 2T for about 2/3 of the price of a montesa 4RT. Should I block my ears and make childish noises :-) or are they making sense ?

Any useful input to help decision making will be much appreciated.

I too had a 315 Montesa, which I really liked, it was traded in for a Scorpa which was then traded in for a 06 4RT. I was advised not to go older than an 06 4RT as they didn't turn easily, the later ones being sorted. First impression of the 4RT was great, I then entered a trial and did terrible, it takes a lot of practicing to get used to it but when you do the engine is amazing, especially on big climbs. Modifications on my bike are a bigger clutch master cylinder, a thicker bash plate (the original one bent several times) and different suspension linkage (this made a big difference to turning). Overall impression of the 4rt is of a bike which feels physically big when compaired to the 2 strokes and also heavy (maybe I should point out that I'm only 5' 3''), it also doesn't have as good a turning circle, I've also got a yam 250 pinky which can turn way inside the 4RT's circle. In summery I'd say it's an amazing engine when you get used to it, but with geometry that's harder to ride with.

100% yes, i would say that i guess cause i got one. I came from beta and loved that bike as a two stroke, but i wanted to go 4 stroke and it seemed the obv choice. Yes they are a bit heavier, but depending on your ability if toni bou can ride one and joe bloggs can then you wont go far wrong.

Regards the 08 i dont feel as if theres a massive difference. Only price really. Yes they are more, but i aint going into that here, people only mince about it.lol. I heard the 05 was a little dodgy on one or two things but hey it was they first model and you gotta expect teethin problems. I reckon an 06 is now affordable and if you look around you can pick up some blinged up ones.

One thing i have noticed is more and more seem to be at trials. Perhaps people have seen what they can do for the clubman or just like the look of em more as they see more. Perhaps they follow a trend. Again who knows. One thing is though i do believe more are around because 05,06,07 become more affordable, therfore the second hand montesa market becomes bouyant.

So like i said at the start is an 08 worth it. YES if you wanna spend the money. Besides you get what you pay for. Read into that as you will

GOOD LUCK in your decision making

I had several 315s and switched to a sorted second hand 05 4RT. Bike felt better than a 315 in suspension and turning. Rear Suspension is as good as anything and build quality superb. I found I had an extra 1 foot at the top of a 3 foot step I practic on compared to the 315. If you never had a super light fall 2 bits 2 stroke then you won't miss it.

I think frames are the same up until maybe 08. 06 clutch plates better. Master cyl and bash plate good mods.

Its one of the few bikes that really make you smile when riding it.

Definately go the 4rt route

Practicesd on a big flat concrete block about 6 foot square and with a 3 foot step up to it. On the 315 would come up the step and tight right turn just before front wheel went off the edge. Same section on the 4rt and had much more romm to turn on the top. Don't know why as much of the suspension and chassis components look the same as the 315, could be just more refined, better balanced or engine braeking but definately better.

I've had a Montesa 1998 315R for many years and I'm keen to get a new bike. Quite attached to Montesa for some reason .... but not sure if a brand new 2008 4RT is worth the money. Would a good condition 2005/6/7 be a better bet ?

Anything specifically a problem on 2005-2007 models that has been sorted on the 2008 model ?

My fellow riders do quite rightly point out that I could buy a 2008 Gas Gas 2T for about 2/3 of the price of a montesa 4RT. Should I block my ears and make childish noises :-) or are they making sense ?

Any useful input to help decision making will be much appreciated.

well, was playing around with a 08 yesterday......honda has definately done work on the clutch and tranny!......I actually got it into neutral, while it was sitting there dead cold..no engine running ...takes me forever to get my 05 into neutral ...clutch lever felt as easy as any new two stroke ..not like my 05.........

and the engine was smooth and silky and very quiet, not like my 05.............I guess you can see where I'm going with this ...........massso