Fantic (what Is It?)

spud

Hey Lee ! Let me know if you want me to ship you the link for that 300 backing plate ? And I was replacing the wheel brgs in all my wheels , so I did the hub mod and adjusted the front as greeves recomended . It's amazing what some simple , no cost mods can do ! Thanks Greeves :o

Stoppies are fun ! And as I get ready to prep my spare frame ,(as I've slowly obtained enough parts to build another complete 240 !) just how many degrees do you think I should move the steering head back on this one ? And I've found a source for composite spherical brgs for the ends on my falcons to go w/the 20x26x30 needle brgs. in the swingarm on chris's drilled shaft ... should have little if any resistance in the rear suspension movement , I may have to get the dampening on the falcons tweaked abit though ...

And I think a reedvalve conversion on this motor after I port it to match my currant one . And Yes I'm really BORED waiting for my clavicle and shoulder to heal back to 100% operating condition :o !

Cheers to all !

Glenn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks LH.

After some thought i've decided to buy a new oko carb. I've been told 'the source coil' needs replacing because when the bike gets hot it cuts out with no spark. Only after it cooled down did start up again. I had a nice chat with a very knowledgeable guy who supplies Fantic bits (nice chap) and the other parts i'm now considering replacing are the: dansi coil, exhaust muffler - wes is restrictive, fit 300c footrests, 0.5mm head gasket. I have been pointed in the direction of Bill Pye 01642 722378 but he's not answering his phone. Does anyone know if Bill is at the SSDT or not open for business today? At a later date i may replace the top yoke......does anyone have a picture showing the Source Coil on the stator plate just so i know what i'm looking at.

Thanks again.

PS: never been this involved in working on a trials bike but am beginning to enjoy it.

Edited by spud

I dont ride mine like a motocrosser though....only steve does that!

Lee it sure sounded like an old motocrosser"one to many race's i thought"

Yes spud bill pye would be in scotland,not sure if he stays the week though.

Lee ; Didn't you get that 300 brake off evilbay ? I got outbid w/a second or two to go ... One armed typing and all , but I had bid on the stay from the same guy and got that cause I thought it may be differant than the 240 . Greeve's recomendation was to open up the center (axle) hole in the stock 240 backing plate about 20 thou., reasemble but just snug the axle hardware ,then apply front brake to center shoes on drum and then tighten everything w/the brake still applied ... I put a zip tie on the brake lever pulled snug (after a few hard squezes to center it ) then torqed everything down . But testing it out in my no pressure on my left shoulder condition , it would get the backend real light with the presure I was comfortable to put on it ! And on my gravel driveway I locked the front w/little effort wilst sitting down ... It'll be fun when I can pressure both grips =ly . It feels to be at the one finger (mech. hands) point !

Cheers , Glenn

Lee ; Didn't you get that 300 brake off evilbay ? I got outbid w/a second or two to go ... One armed typing and all , but I had bid on the stay from the same guy and got that cause I thought it may be differant than the 240 . Greeve's recomendation was to open up the center (axle) hole in the stock 240 backing plate about 20 thou., reasemble but just snug the axle hardware ,then apply front brake to center shoes on drum and then tighten everything w/the brake still applied ... I put a zip tie on the brake lever pulled snug (after a few hard squezes to center it ) then torqed everything down . But testing it out in my no pressure on my left shoulder condition , it would get the backend real light with the presure I was comfortable to put on it ! And on my gravel driveway I locked the front w/little effort wilst sitting down ... It'll be fun when I can pressure both grips =ly . It feels to be at the one finger (mech. hands) point !

Cheers , Glenn

Can you post some photos of this mod to the brake i can't picture what your saying.

Does anyone know where i can getta hold of some 300cc foot rests?

LH, just PM'd you - thanks.

Today the cyclinder head came off i found two metal gaskets, which had been leaking. The piston and barrel look good, no slack on the pistion and compressing the piston the ports are cast nice with no rough edges. The new fuel tap was fitted the old having lots of crude on the filter. The new coil is fitted and the source coil has been sent away to have it re-wound. Next week it should be running with its new carb, anyway have a favorite spark plug?

thanks,

Whilst rumaging through the garage I remembered I had my old 2007 Beta Rev3 footrests. Guess what!!!.....a hacksaw and a few hours of filling has them now on the Fantic.....if anyones interested its a very easy job, no welding and using the existing mounts on the Fantic. For someone of my limited abilities its an easy job. The standard pegs are 26mm across, the Rev3 pegs are 45mm.

Source coil should be with me tomorrow. This will be the final job ready for starting......holding my breath

Edited by spud

a hacksaw

So thats what Lee sent you through the post.He had a bucket load of them in the back of he's van at Exmoor,Hacksaw Harris they call em.. i've realy gotta have a word with that chap. :wall:

Edited by bilc0

ITS RUNNING!!!!......second kick is all it took and after about a minute it was ticking over without me fiddling with the carb setup. Had a short ride up an alley and i can report its now wheelieing in third on throttle alone and no requirment to yank at the bars in this gear either. In comparison to where i started off a month ago when i bought the bike i had to give it the beans and yank at bars in first gear to have the front wheel lift - so its going a lot better i think i can say. Next job will be finish off the pegs buy some new tyres, and i'm toying with the idea of a 200cc conversion with the top yoke and a smaller petrol tank - recommend these? On sunday there is a pre67 and twin shock trial, or i've a modern bike trial, so what should i ride?....both events will be riding for FNA.

Thanks to you all for all your helpful advise. Thanks also to Steve Goode, Bill Pye, Classic Trials because with out these guy's this bike may have never seen the light for another 10 years.

The trial went really well a few of the guys wanted to do the modern trial so this is where i ended up. Out of us six riders (they were all on modern bikes) had the trial been observered i would have beaten the lot of them. However five of them ride a class or two below me whereas one rider is not that far off me but has a lot more courage. I was surprised it rode so well on the rocks, in the mud leaving the clutch alone it would grip better than some modern bikes because of its soft bottom end power. The new foot pegs and raised handlebars are to my liking the bike feels almost modern to ride.

In another Fantic Thread i asked the a comparision question between a Beta Rev 3 and a Fantic 240. Now bearing in mind my Beta has the flywheel weight removed a set of Boysean reeds and re-jetting:

Beta Vs Fantic

Power:

Beta - loads and instant

Fantic - 3/4 of the Beta and smooth

Suspension:

Beta - hopping mad

Fantic - plush

Brakes:

Beta - sharp

Fantic - good

Weight:

Beta - lightish

Fantic - not that bad

I've decided to keep the bike looking standard. The mudguards do need changing as too do the side panels - these are on order. When they are fitted i'll post another picture. Also i've been told if i were to ride the bike in the Twinshock championship i'd ride 'B' class, so how many of you lads ride this championship?