Fantic (what Is It?)

spud

Thanks for your entire info guy's you are genuine enthusiasts. The worlds best mechanic I am not my tool box does contain other tools than a hammer and bolt cutters: :o . I'm genuinely looking forward to casting a more detailed eye over this bike and will be posting my findings, together with some pictures as the spanners get to work. Your advice will be my bible. On the 25th May the bike will be ridden in the Forest Trophy Trial, this will be possible its first trial in over 10years. There is a lot to do. I

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to the heading of this whole post , 'Fantic(what is It?) ... just one of the best motorcycles ever built (imho) , with a small but very loyal enthusiast / rider following ! I had got away from trials in the early 70's and never even heard of a fantic till I bought mine in 05 ...

and now I spend alot of time just buying fantic parts whether I need them or not !

Have fun with it , take care of it ! And Atom , Have a ball competing on it !!! (and maybe you can show spud what 212cc can do !:o)

Glenn

Hi Spud, the silencer is a walker exhaust system or WEs. I like em. I dont know adam ant but he cant crash it...like bilco ;-)

@steve, if you dont like me winding you up, please say so.....i

Edited by Lee Harris

Thanks.

When i bought the bike i was given a box with some bits in it. Just had a look in the box and below is what is there, not a lot. I'm interested in your thoughts on the hand drawn diagram of the ignition. I think looking at the parts the carb has had a smaller main jet and the ignition retarded. Looking at the parts picture does anyone know what all the washer and nit bits are for. The paper work picture is minus the Bill Of Sale. It was bought from someone in Wiltshire for

post-786-1209832706.jpg

Edited by spud

I took the carb off and noticed the main jet was 44 (not 95) i'm definately thinking the ignition has been retarded. Bike will have the flywheel taken off tomorrow. I also made some enquiries and found out the engine had

Edited by spud

Hi Spud,

std jets are 45 and 98 main (you sure the 44 was main not pilot?) A std 240 will run better on 44 and 95 if you are not running long road sections. If so then go to 98 as std. The expansion chamber has fibre glass packing which will be all gued up after so many years so go down slightly on jets. Cleaning it with caustic soda might help you...it didnt me. You can try playing with the ignition but it doesnt seam to make a lot of difference. Power delivery with motoplat is softer than dansi. The french guy, fantic club president chris darras says to add a head gasket to soften with dansi. i left mine alone.

Some interesting spares...kickstart spring which means engine split and oil seals for the crank = dito

@bilco. Sun Inn is on for me. You can tell me about the spain trial there. I have a fiver on each days points and another 10er on the total results......should pay towards either your or my beer....

Edited by Lee Harris

Hi Spud,

std jets are 45 and 98 main (you sure the 44 was main not pilot?) A std 240 will run better on 44 and 95 if you are not running long road sections. If so then go to 98 as std. The expansion chamber has fibre glass packing which will be all gued up after so many years so go down slightly on jets. Cleaning it with caustic soda might help you...it didnt me. You can try playing with the ignition but it doesnt seam to make a lot of difference. Power delivery with motoplat is softer than dansi. The french guy, fantic club president chris darras says to add a head gasket to soften with dansi. i left mine alone.

Some interesting spares...kickstart spring which means engine split and oil seals for the crank = dito

@bilco. Sun Inn is on for me. You can tell me about the spain trial there. I have a fiver on each days points and another 10er on the total results......should pay towards either your or my beer....

Your right I was looking at the main pilot jet and got a little mixed up. The jetting is standard. I inspected the timing after removing the flywheel and all is good. The seal on the choke is perished and the throttle slide has some scoring around the bottom of the slide. I cleaned the carb and reassembled it. I set the air screw to 2 and a quarter turns out. After the iniational warming up the bike would not idle, well not until the idle screw had been turned in nearly all the way. When the bike was ticking over i noticed when i blipped the throttle it would take about 3 seconds for the engine to settle to idling. As a don't know what this bike should run like does this sound okay? If the carb is worn out does anyone have a replacement and a price? The Intake rubber from the carb to the engine looks in good order as too does the hose from the air box to the carb. The previous owner mentioned it didn't have much power and had problems driving up longish hills. This does not ring true from my observations of twinshock Fantics. My next port of call will be to inspect the exhaust for carbon build up. The engine does sound nice i've not ridden the bike as of yet. I noticed the front sprocket has 11 teeth but my spare set has 12 so the down of power theory could be correct.

Edited by spud

The o-ring on the choke jet will mess things up, so replace first. There are two other o-rings on the carb. One on the end of the pilot airscrew (screw, spring,washer,o-ring) and one on the end of the idle screw. (same; screw, spring,washer, o-ring) If all are ok and it runs on, it sounds very much like the slide is worn. Does the slide top have an o-ring fitted? it should do!

I have lots of carbs with worn slides, it does make sense to buy new. A new delortto will be about 70-80 quid and an OKO with airfilter adapter is about 100 quid. If you read Glenns report on here, he luvs em. (Axulsuv). Buying spares for your carb is the most expensive way....

I run 10/41 gearing on my 340 as I like low first and use 2nd and 3rd quite often for graded climbs. A std bike will pull 11 or 12 no probs. The 12 tooth is too high for serious trials sections.

I have never heard of complaints of low power from a 240 so exhaust buildup could be the problem. I assume airfilter is clean and in place?

Just out off interest, I run 66;1 fulll synthetik with 100 octane fuel. I dont ride mine like a motocrosser though....only steve does that!

Thanks. The slide does have the o-ring and the air filter is clean. I'm running the bike on 50:1.

This bikes got cater. The fuel tap has now decided to stop leaking! I rode down a short alley to see how the bike revs. Iniationally low to midrange revs were okay, but when i gave it the beans it held back. I done this a couple of times with the same result. parking the bike in my garage i decided to see if it would rev out, so on went the ear defenders and full throttle applied. The bike again held back at top revs. Keeping the bike running the idling speed increased, so i had to wind out the idle screw and lumpy running low down disappeared - weird. When i reved the bike and let its revs drop to tick over the bike seems to hunt/chase it revs and takes some time to settle into idling. To me this seems to be an air leak? I'm also wondering if the electrics are up to much good stopping it reving out? Its got a Dansi (?) coil. The stator plate i can't see any manfacturers marks and the chances are its all orginal. The spark is not that strong but its working. So perhaps a new carb an intake rubber I just want to be certain this will sort the running problems before i commit to spending.

Edited by spud

I think its unlikely that the ignition will stop it revving out. More likely too bogger main jet or gue in the exhaust. OK sometimes that round dansi coil will stop my 125 Cabellerro revving out, but thats 10.000 plus.

I think the tap will always leak on reserve......if the o-ring is naff

A carb inlet rubber (steve goode) is not expensive so try it. i think you are looking at a classic case of worn out carby.

Do the caustic soda bit on the exhaust first, dont burn it out or the packing in the chamber will be destroyed. Have you repacked the wes? Costs are low and may be oil soaked. i think 50:1 is too rich...maybe if Adam is used toi riding RMs thens its better like that.

If everything else is ok, try and borrow a carb to try it. PM me your address and phone number as I may be able to help short term

lee

Edited by Lee Harris