Fantic (what Is It?)

spud

I very little info on a potential bike i'm looking to buy, but am seeking some advice. The bike is the 240 (model) does this mean engine size and what might be its year of manufacturer? Its been totally rebuilt and in the past 8 years it been ridden once max twice. I know this because when the guy rebuilt the bike from the ground up i had a ride of it and since then its been in his garage. I was thinking of offering him

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russ Jones, one of the Llangollen boys rode one in the Lomax today, not sure how he got on, but I saw him at the last group, so he finished. Mind you durability isn't likely to be a problem when comparing an 80's bike to a modern one.

:hyper: As stated above , most likley the best twinshock everbuilt , and with a bit of new tech applied can/will compete against modern bikes with surprising results ...!!! A very rewarding bike to ride , when you learn it , and will only go up in value !!! And also most likley the best built bike I have ever owned ! and I've had alot of all differant types !

Glenn

Get it , learn it stock , then contact Chris at Classic Trial to tweak it ! Great service and he knows/loves old Fantics ...

post-1232-1206400170.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Clean the Carb ! Looks Sweet from here ! Contact Steve Goode for a petcock , most likely has one handy !! And looking at the photo's closer I'd get rid of the handle bar riser setup on it ! But I would have to say you got a good deal on that one :o

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Nice deal.Good to see the old bike's starting to sale for what there worth and not what people think there worth.

I would renew the crankcase seal's just out of routine there going to be hard.

Bloody well done :o

Edited by bilc0

It was a gift for 550. Would fetch 800 on evil bay. If the headstock is not cracked then maybe a little more. A perfect seat will fetch 100 on ebay. 70 for perfect side panels etc etc. If you want to ride it try with and without the risers. I would recommend a 200 top yoke, again with or without the risers. Get some falcon shocks (already fitted?)or fit the marzocchis. If betor shocks are fitted see how they perform. By a delortto carb seal kit. The choke (cold start) jet has an o ring which will be leaking and will cause it to run badly (as if on choke) If the slide is worn, then buy an OKO from classic trial. If it has been standing without running, expect to change the flywheel crank oil seal soon if its not already leaking. Take flywheel off and have a look. If you can see a very small amount of oil weeping at the crank, replace it, easily done without spliting engine. if new carb and flywheel seal dont stop bad running, have a look at piston and bore. If good the clutch oil seal may be leaking. Thants an engine out and split casing job. Make sure the kickstart is always secure on the shaft,. These shafts like to break alot so no stanping. Just prime it until you reach compression and the swing smoothly through. New pegs are recommended but 300s will fit and are a bit wider. Or buy KTM steel cross pegs and cut of the bracketery just leaving the platform. Them weld this round the the 240 peg. If well rebuilt, the swing arm will be ok and well greased. if not the needle rollers will have suffered. Classic trial offer a replacement with grease nipple and phosfor bronze bushes. If two cables go to the coil under the tank its a motoplat ignition which can now be rewould. If three wires then its dansi. Look at the green wire. Its the trigger. Quite likely the insuration is rotten. Dont know why but the red and black last and the green doesent. If you are riding on rocks think about changing the plastic sumpguard for an alu one. If you are used to riding a 290 sherco, think about adding a head brace to stop the head gussets cracking when landing heavily! 240 rfrt brake can be replaced with 300 unit. The 300 drum is different also but they work also with a std 240 wheel. Get really trick and respoke rear rim to gasgas and use tubeless tyres. Dont ride without sidepanels as airxoxes are very rare. Make copies in alu to protect originals. if you need more seat clearan

Edited by Lee Harris

By the way, its the first FM450 fantic made. Between 1982 and 1984 they made 24000. There are still about 8000 left running, most of which are in my cellar :o:o:D Ok, about a third are in my cellar, Monkie has a third and greeves ahs the rest!

It has 212 cc if its a uk bike and 209cc if its a yurup model. Strangly enough, the logbooks are different but the bore size uis the same!!!! Conrods are still available, pistons also but not original asso . Biultaco UK sells some replacements, cant say what they are like. Carb and airbox rubbers, like tank tap are available from steve goode. slim tanks are nice from classic trial but not cheap. see here also

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fantic240pro/ukindex.htm

By the way, they had a small clutch basket, later bikes were bigger. Expect even new clutches to slip when cold, some also when hot. Fantic 125 raider and 125XM cabalerro springs will fit and are stronger but clutch is heavier. May want to lenghten the actation arm behiond the motor.

One last thing, if you ever ride the exmoor or dartmoor trials, dont let bilco ride it!!!! Hi Steve.

Edited by Lee Harris

Hi Lee.

I knew you'd get all wet over spud's fanny.

p.s...

I wish you told me before i rode your bike that you had bolted part's from 3 diffrent models to one bike,i would of then adjusted my riding to riding 3 diffrent models at once. :o no wonder i crashed. :o

Edited by bilc0