World Outdoor Trials 1988. British Round.

andy m

Indoors must be most lucrative to the riders to make a living, sponsors must prefer their logos clean and viewable. Without the odd arena style section at the WTC it would surely make Dibs, Browny and Morris's task even harder when they get given a crack at going indoors.

Can remember watching a WTC from wales on tv, Rob Crawford was riding Montesa at the time, wish i'd looked after the video :thumbup:

Edited by billycraig

Back on thread, I wonder if they could ever use that venue again? Probably a bit too far south but anyway, I think this is it if I can remember correctly :thumbup:

Its still there and proberly the same as it was then, we dont even use it for club trials , waterlooville used it in the hoad trial when that was run, but they dont run trials now so no one uses it.

I dont think this was on grandstand, the one shown on grandstand was the british experts from hawkstone park.

Its still there and proberly the same as it was then, we dont even use it for club trials , waterlooville used it in the hoad trial when that was run, but they dont run trials now so no one uses it.

I dont think this was on grandstand, the one shown on grandstand was the british experts from hawkstone park.

Its Butser Limeworks, and I believe it was lost through illegal practiseing and damage to the machinery thats there.

It was Grandstand that showed it , they also covered a few of the world rounds from Wales around that time. Still got them on video somewhere.

Its Butser Limeworks, and I believe it was lost through illegal practiseing and damage to the machinery thats there.

It was Grandstand that showed it , they also covered a few of the world rounds from Wales around that time. Still got them on video somewhere.

I too went to this world round and did it ever rain that day!!!!!!! This was in the days that even world rounds were run with road work and this round used a couple other groups of sections if my memory serves me right one being Langrish where the Sidecar cross GP has been held in recent time, I've probably got a program for the event somewhere in paper mache form!

Grandstand covered the world round from Myther Tydfill in Wales the year Steve Saunders was riding a Screenart Beta.

I luv the down to earth video coverage & not knowing who's going to win until the last moment.

Even though its teeming down with rain we still get two or three views of the same section.

So who was dougies companions?

• 4 weeks later...

The vids are superb - great find Heath

They are all good but hell that's mad doing that stuff without a helmet!

I liked this one -

That attempt at that man made step at 4.25 was fuuny !

• 3 weeks later...
:banana2: Does anyone remember watching this on grandstand ( I think it was ) I had only been riding a couple of years and had never seen owt like it , remember thinking how the hell do you get up something that big, steep and incredibly slippy. This was my first introduction to world trials and have been hooked ever since its a pitty normal tv doesnt acknolege our sport yet they will pay millions for coverage of moto gp etc, ok moan over. :thumbup:

I remember it being on a sports program, not sure which, in fact i didnt see it for myself!!! My Dad happened to mention it to me cus he knew that i had been to watch the event ................This reminded me of this guy who was also at the event AND is probably the REASON why TV crews dont want to film at trials events!!!!....................

Cut to the chase..............I was crouching on a dodgy rock edge waiting to see the world champ do this crazy rock section which had the biggest flat rock face step up thingy .......anyway....i'm watching this guy climb down through the crowd barging through (like he's king snake) and eventually sits down in front of everyone!!... Then the TV crew arrived at the section and set up the camera and stuff (about 3 guys) in front of king snake and his monkey.........After a few mins i heard this shouting going off......as i looked i saw King snake guy pick up a stone and lobbed it straight at the camera and hitting the crew he did this about 3-4 times hurling abuse at these guys who were clearly ****ting themselves while ducking from these flying rocks! He screamed for them to basically go or he will beat them all up!!!.......That TV crew got up and legged it! and as they left i remember one of the crew turing around and said basically thats it and they are f**king off because of that cock king snake!!!..................So i'm trying to say is that it was on TV the first of its kind seen on National TV, But king snake F**ked it up for us all that day!!! Wow do i feel better now thats all out!!!