Lubricating The Throttle

rwillett

Hi,

I managed to come off over the weekend, difficult to imagine but true, and in the process of coming off, the top of the throttle cover came off and filled the throttle body with muck and dirt,

No big deal, I took it apart and cleaned all the rubbish out and put it back together, works OK. I'm now thinking I should have lubricated it, it had what appeared to be graphite grease in it, but I had to clear it all off to get the dirt out.

The 64 Euro question is, what should I lubricate it with? I've googled for graphite grease and all sorts of versions of that and can't see anything at all. Have I got this wrong? Should I use graphite grease? If so where can I get some her in the UK (London)?

All the best,

Rob.

What make is the throttle? I was led to believe that the Domino ones should never be lubed. Any grease etc will only attract grit/dirt and once its there its no longer a simple case of blowing it away, it will stick in the throttle assembly like a bogey sticks to yer finger!

If I use anything, it's dry, flake graphite. No dirt sticks to it, and i just happen to have a can of it.

When it runs out, I'll likely go back to using nothing.

The best test is, try it with nothing, and see how it feels.

If you do decide to use something, keep it light and keep it to a minimum.

I commonly use dry graphite on my throttle tube (between tube and bar). Nice and smooth, and doesn't attract dirt. I normally leave the internal dry or a very light lube like the TriFlo Alan mentioned (it's commonly available at bicycle shops) but in very small quantity.

As you are in london get down to your nearest bicycle shop and get a small spray can of lubricant with teflon in it.

Use alittle under the throttle tube and spin it round on the bars, when it will spin freely for 10 times or more wipe clean and repeat. Wipe again leaving a smidgin and the tube is lubed.

A little grease around the cable end should be all you need.

i use finish line dry bicycle chainlube it is expensive 5 quid for 75ml it has teflon in it i use this on my chain as it does not atract much dirt and a tiny bit between the throtle tube and bar it gives a really smoth fealing and as it is a dry lube it does not attract dirt when i mean dry i mean that it is not very sticky so it does not attract dirt but the lube is a liquid

Thanks,

So many answers, so many different views...

The throttle looks like a Domino, it had been lubed so I suspect it needs to be.

I suspect I'll put graphite in the throttle and teflon spray on the outside side for the throttle itself.

Where do you get dry graphite from?

Rob

Be a little cautious with any new product. Years back, I tried a teflon spray lube I had used with great success in industrial applications. Ended up it dissolved plastic. . . . I am going to try the triflow and finish line stuff though.

Now, I use aerosol 'Kroil' penetrating oil down the cable (using a clamp-on 'pressure luber'), and dry graphite on the alum bar and inside the pulley area.

kcj

For North American Riders - A product called Opti Pro Shop Spray is the very best - Its a German made product, available at most Chainsaw dealers who carry the Opti line of lubricants also at most Motorcycle dealers in Western Canada, - We also use this as a chain lube instead of conventional sticky types which attract dirt. - It dispels water and leaves a lubricant base. ideal for Trials bikes.