Stainless Spokes?

jaan

Anyone built Akront alloy rims from the seventies with Stainless spokes?

Yes, I have built several wheels with stainless spokes. Unless you really want to stay original, stainless is probably the best way to go.

The fact that they are 1970's Akront rims! Guess you had to be there. :banana2:

I was there and I confess to loving 1970s Akront rims - even or maybe especially the shouldered type.

I just don't know why the combination of 1970s Akront rims and stainless steel spokes invokes concern, being that so many of the bikes from then with Akront rims came with stainless steel spokes as standard.

Maybe the enquirer is wondering why those same stainless steel spokes often had aluminium nipples??

It's a bit of a funny question though.

I'm sorry about my imprecise question. It's due to my poor english. (Lucky you who write here your native language). Let's forget my question!

Jaan your English is fine, I have a lot of admiration for anyone who can speak and write a foreign language.

What bike are your rims from? Are you planing on rebuilding the wheels yourself? If there is anything you need help or advise with ask away.

Jaan - I have all my Ossa/Bult wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes/nipples - no problems.

Like Paul Mac, the oldest was done almost 20 years ago on my Ossa. This bike has had some very hard use over the years and I've never even needed to tighten a spoke, they were done (and have lasted) that well (by Central Wheel)

Don't worry about your questions in English, there was nothing wrong with your question, I think the person who said it was funny was just genuinely curious as to why you were asking, not criticising. Just take a random look through the forum to see how bad the English is sometimes from people who have it as their native language. You could maybe teach them....

Thank you, "steve" and "Woody". I really appreciate your kindly words!

My bike is Montesa Cota 348. The zinc plated spokes and nipples are rusted. I'm going to rebuild the wheels myself. I've built many old street bike wheels but have never used stainless spokes. I don't know is it worth to rebuild with stainless spokes and where from to get them.

Jaan

If you want to respoke your 348 front wheel with plated spokes, you can use TY175/TY250 front wheel spokes which are readily available and where I live sell for about half the cost of a set of stainless steel spokes. Yamaha plated spokes and nipples set $90. Stainless steel spokes and stainless steel nipples set $180.

I've used TY twinshock front wheel spokes in my 348 front wheel to replace some that were missing when I got it and they fit without any modifications.

No idea about what other bike spokes fit the rear 348 wheel.

If the bike is to be used in harsh conditions, it is usually worth fitting the stainless steel spokes. We rarely ride in anything but dry conditions so stainless steel is often used solely for the bling factor rather than for practical reasons. Some of my twinshock bikes have painted spokes! I've pulled the wheel apart to machine the brake drum and polish the rim, and the spokes have lost their plating but are still fine so I just paint them silver! The first wheel I did like that was about 8 years ago now and the paint is still fine. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to ride much in the wet though or if you want a bike for concours de elegance.

David

Just take a random look through the forum to see how bad poor the English is sometimes from people who have it as their native language. You could maybe teach them....

:wall:

:huh:

I have stainless on all of my Bultacos. Don't know if that was stock, but they sure do look nicer than rusty spokes.