Fantic 200 Engine Issues

s_preech

Hi all,

I would just like to start by saying hi, I only registered yesterday after looking at my old Fantic 200 (1980 TX350 i believe) sitting my garage and decided to do something about it.

I am having a quite serious problem with the engine.

About 6 -7 years ago my brother came off the bike, jamming the throttle wide open for a 20 - 30 seconds. And since it has never been able to start. I have replaced the Plug and the plug wire and it seems to be sparking fine. I have plenty of Fuel in the tank so that does not seem to be the issue.

When I kick the bike over it seems to have compression, its only 156cc but its still quite hard to kick. I have split the top casing off the top of the engine, and checked the piston out and it looks fine.

Im not really very knowledgable about motorbikes so I have limited knowledge about these sorts of things. So any help would be greatly apprciated.

Also im trying to dig out the workshop manual for it. If anyone has a copy of it? Or a scanned copy? I would be willing to pay to have a copy.

Thanks in advance

Edited by s_preech

Thanks for the info Turbo.

Do you think I should split the engine to see if something is mechanically incorrect inside?

I think that is where the Woodruff key is. Sorry about my low level of knowledge im new to most things about motorcycle engines.

the woodruff key is on the flywheel shaft. what it does is it sets the timing for the spark. if the key is cheard then it will still spark but all over the place. if you can get your hands on one use a 12v rattle gun to remove the flywheel nut. from there you will need the correct fly wheel puller to get it off. make sure when you replace the flywheel that the nut is tight as this is what usually causes the key to sheer.

hope this helps

max

the woodruff key is on the flywheel shaft. what it does is it sets the timing for the spark. if the key is cheard then it will still spark but all over the place. if you can get your hands on one use a 12v rattle gun to remove the flywheel nut. from there you will need the correct fly wheel puller to get it off. make sure when you replace the flywheel that the nut is tight as this is what usually causes the key to sheer.

hope this helps

max

Thanks max, that is a great help.

When I open it up if something is wrong with it then will I definatly see it? And if there is something wrong with it are they a standard thing to replace?

Update:

I have just pulled the flywheel cover off, the flywheel nut was indeed loose. I have to wait for a flywheel puller to get to me, ordering one tomorrow. I just dont know where I can get a Woodruff key from to replace it?

Hi ; I have no idea where you are so I can't tell you where to go for a woodriff key , but make sure you find/fix the reason it stuck wide open before you start the bike again !!! the keys are out there , it just depends where you are as to how fast you can get one !!!

Glenn ,

Just letting us know what country would give us a direction to send you !

Edited by axulsuv

Update: The flywheel puller arrived from Inmotion Trials.

Popped the flywheel off and the woodruff key had been completly snapped off ;p

Pretty much clean against the shaft.

Thank you sooo much Lee, ill give him a call tomorrow and sort out a Woodruff key.

Thanks everyone that has helped, the comunity on these boards is absolutly outstanding.

Thanks