Would A 125 Be Enough?

airfruit

I have just recently switched from bicycle trials to mototrials. I want to do more technical stuff rather than huge moves. maybe one day learn rear wheel hop hahaha. Anyways, I rode a 250 and felt like I could get in some trouble with that thing so I am curious if a 125 will haul me around and allow me to do the crazy tech stuff. I love to hop. I am 176cm and about 70kg or some would say, 5'9" and a bit and about 11 stones. I saw some of the world youth guys on 125s and they could do some insane stuff. anyways, any input would be nice. I am really confused. Thanks. remember, I won't be doing huge steps anytime soon hahaha.

Hi

A 125 would be a brilliant introduction to Moto Trials. Go for it - you won't be disappointed in the power and as you suggested slighly less power can be a good thing for a beginner. Anyway there are many grown men on 125cc bikes and they do really well.

FWIW... the new 08 Beta 125 is epecially good.

Ralphy

yeah, I am looking at the 08 beta 125 since my local shop has one in stock. I love the look of the rev3s.

Question though. should I be riding the 125 with a quick throttle? I don't know what you guys call it, but less wrist movement for same throttle input. I have heard that the 125s live on revs so yeah. I don't like having to twist my wrist into funny positions to get enough power, especially coming from bicycle trials where we live on the rear wheel all day and no throttle heh. The 250s are not bad with slow throttle; however, I am just worried about the 125s cuz you have to rev them more thus more throttle input?

Thanks

true... however, I don't have very much time to ride and I don't think that I will ever use a 250 to its max potential? I could be wrong, and also, I don't know where I will be after 2 yrs so I thought the 125 would be good for the next 2 yrs.

I have seen how some of the junior ride 250s and I don't think I will ever pull moves that big hahaha. I guess I am trying to figure out that if a 125 would be a good "have fun" bike.

can someone give me a general idea of what the 125 is capable of? when does it fail haha. how big can it go and etc. I think that might help more?

Thanks a lot

true... however, I don't have very much time to ride and I don't think that I will ever use a 250 to its max potential? I could be wrong, and also, I don't know where I will be after 2 yrs so I thought the 125 would be good for the next 2 yrs.

I have seen how some of the junior ride 250s and I don't think I will ever pull moves that big hahaha. I guess I am trying to figure out that if a 125 would be a good "have fun" bike.

can someone give me a general idea of what the 125 is capable of? when does it fail haha. how big can it go and etc. I think that might help more?

Thanks a lot

there are not too many people who can use a trials bike to it's potential no matter what the size is, in my oppinion the 125's just don't have enough power so "you" have to work harder to pull off simple moves. they are great for children who are 4 feet tall and 100 lbs. if price is what is drawing you to the 125 I can see that, I just would never recomend a small bore trials bike to an adult. (IMO of course)

I just would never recomend a small bore trials bike to an adult. (IMO of course)

Going with a 200 would be a good compromise. Also consider the Scorpa SY200F. It is a VERY capable bike, and would serve a new adult rider well, for good long while.

I agree, the 200 class bikes are sweet, and will take adults easily! Although if you REALLY want to work the bike and the tech stuff, a 125 will give you a workout, they are soft, fun and capable on all but the biggest stuff! Requires better rider! :hl:

There is no substitute for cube`s . You can always tame a 250 cheaply but wont get anymore out of a 125 when you want it. Craig Lee Scott rode on trials with us and his dad, riding the Beta 250 so power did`nt cause him an issue. If you can ride well on a pedal bike you will soon develope on a Trials bike and require power. The juniors ride 125 because of regulation but dont ride them when they come of age or have chance to ride in trials on larger bikes. I heard Alex Wigg has done some trails on a 300 but it may only be a rumour so dont quote me on that.

Air Fruit,

I would say a 125 would be fine. I ride an 08 125 Beta, having switched from a 200 Sherco. I weigh in around 66Kg & 5'6"" (to follow your mix of units!). The Beta has the the most bottom & mid-range of the 125s, though all have come on in recent years due to the Youth regulations. Also, the Beta has the most stable geometry for a traditional riding style. Conversely, the Gas Gas is the revviest engine and is the lightest with a chassis that best suits trick riding. The Sherco occupies a middle ground between these two. Ultimately if you learn good skills on a 125, they will translate to a bigger bike, should you wish. On a 250, not only may the power overwhelm you at first but it will mask, or in some cases amplify, poor technique.

I think the balance you need to weigh up is: do you want the trickest geometry that will suit you coming from a cycle, then I'd say Gas Gas. Or do you want the engine that requires less aggression, then I'd say Beta.

To answer your final question, what is a 125 cabable of? I think you answered it yourself. Look at the Youth World Championship, or Jack Challenor's results in the British Expert Championship on a 125 against 250s & 300s. Or Alexz Wigg's second place last year in the World Junior championship on a 125 against 250s & above. You will constrain the bike more than it constrains you!

Thanks guys, I think I'll give the 08 beta 125 a shot. never was a fan of gas gas hahaha. I don't know if its the build quality or the high maintenance cycles :hl:.

BUT: how are the suspension on the 125s though? are they setup for lighter rider or not? (compare to the 250) I am talking about the 08s since I've heard 125s a few years ago were really aimed form young-er who weights very little. with the recent rules or something, 125s seem to be more powerful and stuff?

Hey Airfruit,

Here's my opinion FWIW, there are more pros and cons here than you would first think.

Yes it's good to have a small cc bike that doesn't pull your arms out and forces you to use the correct technique ,I can't argue with that logic.

But I can guarantee you (as a clubman rider) that you'll find yourself in a situation where you've run out of talent and a bike with more grunt (cc's) can pull a higher gear and get you out of the 5h1t.

I know it's easy to say and hard to perfect but...the throttle is a 2-way device.