Trevor Hunt Trophy Trial

pitley

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many entries now Pitley. Should be a good day( as long as I find my sections to observe) :thumbup:

See Mikes still on the chip oil. :o

We got 70 at todays count, we have Neil & Peter Gaunt, Woody, Jordi, Nicky Draper, John Cowley, Simon Levitt and alot of other Traditional Champs riders.

By last sunday evening i was hanging out me a$$e, after 2 days of marking and making good all the holes in the brooks the previous couple of weeks rain had made :)

Dont you think mike looks healthier running on chip oil but dont he wiff :moon:

Any of you chaps riding this event on here, we would like your feedback on how you felt the trial was in your eyes.

Good or bad we need to know as this is our first road event in 14 years.

Post it here or pm me.

Thanks Andy Pitt Clerk of the course.

Thats why your trials are always good ones Andy!..you take peoples opinions on board. Sure its gonna be fantastic though, and I'm also sure anyone reading this that hasnt entered is going to regret it!

I'll be observing on the 7th group of sections folks...and looking forward to it. See you all there!

Andy, great Trial today, thanks to all who helped/observed, dropped way more than I should have but aint it always the way. Sections were spot on for a good ride round and I would imagine some quite tricky on a Twinshock or Pre65. The routes between groups were excellent as well and all the roads nice and quiet. Me and Ralph got back to the vans first at about 2 ish, first through every section I think from the petrol stop nearly? didnt notice any of the streams being slippy being first through though, defo be back next year as will all the lads we rode with

Well done again and sure you got it spot on :thumbup:

Edited by The Addict

Dude, cracking day!

You see the sleepless night wasn't necessary (remember the first HCTC trial at Clyro :huh: )

A trial like this back in the county has been a long time coming (I vaguely remember something about a strongbow fueled house warming at Simon and Mary's when you had already formulated this plan)

The sections I managed to see (last week laying out with yourself and Trevor and the two groups we observed [err well Jess did!..]) were absolutely superb, typical classic trials sections. Saw mostly smiles all day, the only exceptions were when the colour drained from their faces upon seeing some of the steps :thumbup: . Some of the biggest smiles were from the observers upon receiving their breakfast...good grief glad the missus didn't see that she wouldn't feed me for a week if she had!

I have to say the highlight of the day for me was watching Peter Gaunt take a line up section 12 (Little Cefn) that no-one else had thought of!

Congratulations on getting this running, but don't count on me observing next year though..... I am hoping one of the TY's should be sorted by then, ready for another high score.

Yes, very well done Andy and team, that was an excellent effort for a first attempt at putting on a trial like that. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride around, always love to ride rocky sections as we have none in our centre - wish we had a fraction of that land available. Road mileage was just about right with not too much distance between the groups. Twinshocks aren't too bad on the road but the Pre65 bikes like Cubs, C15, are so low geared now that even 30mph is pushing them a bit too hard for long periods, so long sections of roadwork can be really tedious at 25mph. Yesterday had it just about right. Route marking was clear, map and instructions were clear - saved me from heading off to Brecon at one point after missing a right turn two groups from the end.

If you'd like some genuine feedback on the sections themselves then these are my thoughts. This is obviously intended as constructive feedback and is not criticism of any kind - If the trial was exactly the same next year my entry would still be in.

As a standalone trial rather than a round of the traditional championship, I don't think you'd have to change anything, the sections were fine as they were and pitched about right for most abilities on Pre65 and twinshock bikes. Competent riders on modern bikes may have found the going on the easy side but I did see a few dropping marks - however, for me and as we discussed, the emphasis and section design should be on the classics, not modern - modern classes are the support class, if it's too easy for them then so be it, the intention is to get as big a classic entry as possible.

As a Miller round it would be ideal and again, virtually nothing need be done to the sections, but obviously it would be hard to accomodate the sidecars. If that isn't possible, then it is a no go as a Miller round. Any way to divert them around that hideous gully we had to ride up that turned into the cobbled track? Forget what it's called but the skin off four of my toes is in there somewhere...

As a Traditional round I think that the sections in some groups would need to be toughened up a little. I don't mean by this that the trial was no challenge, as it was, but there are some pretty competent riders in the Traditionals and I think there may have been a few clean sheets on yesterday's sections. It wouldn't take much alteration, maybe there are more rocky streams available with bigger jumbles of rocks, some waterfalls (like the one you pointed out when we were chatting at a section) A few more of the old Wye Valley sections perhaps? Maybe use sections like those to replace the sections that were laid out on the banks in woods (personal bias here as I can't get enough of rock streams due to local shortage...) What I'm getting at here is just a bit more of a technical challenge on the harder route would be needed (ie; championship route in the Traditional) nothing over the top, but along the lines of the Classic Experts, Tavistock, Bootle etc. You're not too far off as it is. I wouldn't have thought that the easier route would have required any changes.

Whatever you decide to run it as next year, I'll definitely be back to support it and hopefully bring a few more twinshock riders with me too.

So, good job and you can rest easy now knowing it turned out a success - although I think you may have been taking it a bit too easy afterwards, lying down on the job outside the boozer with a couple of pints. There was a pickup truck behind you with the observers boards in - you could have knocked up the results instead.... :huh:

Afterthought - having had two fives through going the wrong way in two sections I'm in no rush to see them....... :thumbup:

Thanks to all involved for a great day out riding superb terrain. That breakfast was perfect refreshment after our 3.5 hour journey.

As for commenting on the section standard - I can only agree with Woody. I'd be back tommorow to ride this trial if nothing changed....but I feel it would need a few sections tweeked for the Traditional Champ series.

Andy & team, well done. That was a really enjoyable day and the weather really played its part as well.

Lovely ride round using all those groups, a real treat to just pop in for the odd section or two then another gentle ride round the lanes.

Sections wise for a Traditional round just a few tweeks, nothing tighter, just use a fw of the steps that were there, for instance section 23 (I think) in Lodge Wood had a waterfall just begging to be ridden!

See you next year :thumbup:

Looks like you all had fun...thats good. Spread the word. Good to meet you yesterday jordi....bugger..cant remember yer real name now either, so you can go back to being kind of anonymous again!! :rolleyes:

You too Stu, nice to put faces to names sometimes! (I was no. 64.) :lol:

Glad to see everyone was happy. I had a hectic time observing at 7 and 8 the double sub and then moved on to 33 later in the day, more laid back there as things had slowed down and bikes and riders spread out. I actually enjoyed observing and changing sections helped. (promised Pitley I would observe since it was on the drawing board) :beer: See some good riders and some nice older bikes. Didn't get much time to speak to many but I did speak to Geoff Muston who assured me his TL125 was still 125cc and then he went on to win his class on the Alt route. Excellent. And Jon Bliss remembered riding my double sub in the 60s, when riding a cub. :lol:

Is Malcra doing a report on it :rolleyes: