Illegal Riding Land

technowaldo

DONT RIDE ILLEGALLY. NEVER. NEVER EVER. JOIN A CLUB , PAY THE SUB AND RIDE A TRIAL: If you ride and and dont get cought, the landowner wikll still be Pi$%ed. The next time he tells his landowner mate about it, he may refuse permission on his land for a legit trial also.

DONT DO IT

It is irresponsible and illegal.

Very true, 1 of these is enough to hot up the situation. Trials bikes can be discreet. Don't tell em;

but to directly respond to the question. It's awkward really because I am a believer in being up front honest and respectful. If it is a beauty spot, I would ask first, a small stream with its own little eco system can become damaged easily but if its something like a quarry or brown field I would just ride it. You know, there are allot of greedy *******s out there who fence of land and put up a private sign when its not really theres. Pikeys near me have laid claim to a mile or so sqare of nice land and have fenced it up and put horses on it, now they try and intimidate anyone who goes near it & the local council in Thurrock have ignored it, someday in a few years it will be legally theirs to claim. What gets me everytime is a small bike on a piece of unused land apparently offends but no one objects when another housing estate for a load of useless parasites is built on it, figure that out.

Exactly. I wouldnt ride over the local beauty spots or any other sensitive place. But i will happily ride down the side off a field or over an old railway track without permission. I've done it for the last twenty years and sorry but old habits die hard.

Edited by Williamd

It is a pity we have not got the reponse of a land owner, who might explain that by riding over land without permission you really do not know what damage you might be doing, other than the inevitable little bit that does happen to the ground over which we ride. This was explained to me some time ago by a farmer who caught me riding in a small forest area on his land. He was very pleasant about it, agreed my TL125 wasn't doing any damage to his ground and made very little noise. However he was trying to raise pheasant in the small forest area and he feared my riding there would interfere with that. This was quite reasonable of course and so I stopped. Same goes for the moors I suppose as there may be grouse breeding. So the only thing to do is ask, and as one previous commentator has said you got to try and sell it to the owner. I am presently talking to a farm manager on this subject, but at the moment the owner is away and so I will have to wait 'till she gets back. It's a piece of land which has been used in the past, however the manager has told me to be prepared for a negative response from her. I'm not going to ride the place unless I get permission, even knowing that some others do from time to time, I don't believe it's the right thing to do.

diligaf Posted Sep 20 2008, 12:21 PM

But an unlocked farm gate is an invitation esp if there are no signs.

By that line of logic than your front door to your house being unlocked is an invitation for me to go inside sit in your chair, watch your telly, eat some of the food in the fridge, all without your permission.

:thumbup:

bilc0 Posted Today, 10:33 AM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ Sep 23 2008, 01:20 PM) *

eat some of the food in the fridge.

Is it normal practice for you to eat food in the fridge. cool.gif

Oh yes! especially on those hot summer days, just climb inside and cool off, grab that left over turkey leg and munch away. :thumbup::)

I'd personally hang, draw & quarter people who practice illegally. It p****s me off that people do just what they fancy & screw the whole job up for everyone else.

Depends where you stay.

If its on the edge of a city and old railways, pits, wastelands and the dirt-tracks down the sides of cornfields are what you ride- i dont see the problem.

No one else really cares as long as you keep moving.

Depends where you stay.

If its on the edge of a city and old railways, pits, wastelands and the dirt-tracks down the sides of cornfields are what you ride- i dont see the problem.

No one else really cares as long as you keep moving.

I'm guessing that where Perce is coming from is that there are a small percentage of trials enthusiasts who work their asses off liasing with landowners and working their way through red tape to make sure that the sport of trials exists. If you're not involved, then the chances are that you have no idea of the amount of trouble that goes into getting trials off the ground these days - even for the most basic access there can be reams of paperwork and legalities to get through.

All it takes is for one landowner to get p****d off,and in a small community all your doors will close before you know it....nobody can stop you if you're determined to go out and about, but I think everyone involved in legal trials would ask you to think twice about what you could be risking before you tootle out for your Sunday afternoon jolly.

I'm guessing that where Perce is coming from is that there are a small percentage of trials enthusiasts who work their asses off liasing with landowners and working their way through red tape to make sure that the sport of trials exists. If you're not involved, then the chances are that you have no idea of the amount of trouble that goes into getting trials off the ground these days - even for the most basic access there can be reams of paperwork and legalities to get through.

All it takes is for one landowner to get p****d off,and in a small community all your doors will close before you know it....nobody can stop you if you're determined to go out and about, but I think everyone involved in legal trials would ask you to think twice about what you could be risking before you tootle out for your Sunday afternoon jolly.

My point is that we ride over land that no one cares about. If a tractor is in the field the farmer doesnt bother as he knows we stick to the tracks that have been there for years. If the police appear we have no worries as they will be looking for stolen bikes and wont bother us. But technically we are still on land with no permisssion. As I said before it all depends on where you stay and what sort of illegal land it is. We did get permission to make a track years ago but the land was built on so that was that.

However

After reading the concerns and frustrations expressed on this thread, i would now advise the OP to ask for permission first - where as before i didnt think it was a big deal.

However

After reading the concerns and frustrations expressed on this thread, i would now advise the OP to ask for permission first - where as before i didnt think it was a big deal.

Excellent!! One conversion down, twenty three thousand, four hundred and eighty three to go!! :)

That's cool though - everybody's situation is different, but if we can get a few more folk to think twice then it could make all the difference to the land we've got available to us a few years down the line. :thumbup: