Illegal Riding Land

technowaldo

heres the deal . ive came across a cracking stream about 100 yds long with everything you could ask for ,just the right amount of water ,loads of rocks and a 4 foot waterfall and all about 2 min ride from my house and easy access through a gate . problem is i would never get permission to use it and the landowner be not be happy if i was to get caught . so what do i do just steam right in there ,hope i never get caught and have a great time conquering it or do the decent thing and be a law abiding citizen and regret it forever. what do you think

heres the deal . ive came across a cracking stream about 100 yds long with everything you could ask for ,just the right amount of water ,loads of rocks and a 4 foot waterfall and all about 2 min ride from my house and easy access through a gate . problem is i would never get permission to use it and the landowner be not be happy if i was to get caught . so what do i do just steam right in there ,hope i never get caught and have a great time conquering it or do the decent thing and be a law abiding citizen and regret it forever. what do you think

Get up at 5 and ride for a hour. Then go back to bed

See how long you get away with it.

;)

Look at it this way:

If it was your land and somebody came through without permission and rode his MX bike through and tore it up you would be very upset.

Right?

Same principle different bike, It is not yours don't touch.

Same thing we all tell our kids so maybe we should follow our own advice.

Look at it this way:

If it was your land and somebody came through without permission and rode his MX bike through and tore it up you would be very upset.

Right?

Same principle different bike, It is not yours don't touch.

Same thing we all tell our kids so maybe we should follow our own advice.

Its not a MX bike so why would I be very upset. ??

Same principals very different bike.

Viva la natura.

Edited by Williamd

If you really want to ride it , be a grown up and ask the owner for permission. If you can sell him on the idea that its not going to tear anything up he may go for it, if not stay out. Just my 2 cents. I feel kinda bad for you guys with no where to ride , I have about 3k acres behind my house , and cant ride my sections enough to keep from over growing . ;) cj

Ride it at times when you aren't likely to be caught. If you get caught don't ride off like you were caught with your hand in the cookie jar, be friendly and curteous,tell the owner the gate was open and you have ridden there for years and didn't know you couldn't as there were no signs ect. Tell him you are very sorry as you didn't know but as you have ridden there for years without problem would he mind if you keep riding. I never ride off if challenged I pretend that riding there is my right and calmly argue with whom ever confronts me. You will be surprised at how often people will accomodate you. Last rule if you get lucky with an awesome riding spot never tell anyone because next week every pilchard and his quad riding off spring will be there and then you can kiss it goodbye.

Calm debate can open trials doors more often than you think just don't forget the last rule because that is a bridge burner every time.

All advice given above in relation to riding on private land without permission is strictly not the view of trialscentral. We support and encourage trials folk to always ride within the good spirit of the sport and abide by all rules and regulations governing it.

Please ask permission, and if the owner says no, then accept the answer.

Thanks

Last rule if you get lucky with an awesome riding spot never tell anyone because next week every pilchard and his quad riding off spring will be there and then you can kiss it goodbye.

Very true, 1 of these is enough to hot up the situation. Trials bikes can be discreet. Don't tell em;

but to directly respond to the question. It's awkward really because I am a believer in being up front honest and respectful. If it is a beauty spot, I would ask first, a small stream with its own little eco system can become damaged easily but if its something like a quarry or brown field I would just ride it. You know, there are allot of greedy *******s out there who fence of land and put up a private sign when its not really theres. Pikeys near me have laid claim to a mile or so sqare of nice land and have fenced it up and put horses on it, now they try and intimidate anyone who goes near it & the local council in Thurrock have ignored it, someday in a few years it will be legally theirs to claim. What gets me everytime is a small bike on a piece of unused land apparently offends but no one objects when another housing estate for a load of useless parasites is built on it, figure that out.

Williamd

You missed the point of my post.

I was using an example to put the situation into perspective for the person wanting to trespass.

So I will put it bluntly.

ASK FIRST!! And don't screw it up for the rest of the trials community.

Whats the harm in asking? Who knows maybe they will join you and be the next star of trials. Thats the way things happen some times.

I dont condone illegal riding but i ride in an abandonded park in Detroit all the time. I figure that our mayor is in jail right now so he is probably too busy to ask permission at the moment. I will catch him when he gets out. ;)

--Biff

Just ask the question. Maybe offer to pay him a small amount every time you ride as a gesture and reassure the owner that you will not promote the land and will always ensure the gate is closed and locked.

If he is unsure, invite him to come and watch a local event or better still see if he will let you take your bike over there so he can see what you do and hear the bike.

My view is that generally if the land is not used for anything else and you can show that you are not tearing it up and will pay to use it then most land owners would let you in.

If he still says no, then sadly no it is.....

The answer is in your own topic title "Illegal Riding Land". If you know it's illegal, why even think about it without asking the landowner first?

I'm 100% with Atomant on this and we'll pull anything we think encourages illegal riding as that is not what this site is about.

Each of us take responsability for our actions and I'm not advocating burning down the barn. I have seldom been asked to leave after meeting the owner when riding on his land. If he is unhappy I explain the sport and the difficulty in finding land to ride on then ask him where I can ride on his land basically push push push, I show them the bike, where I ride and then show them the skills ect think sales man. However I have never been allowed to ride after asking, you never get past the can I ride on your land part. Don't be silly and ride where there are signs and razor wire and skull and crossbones or the head of previous riders on a stick. But an unlocked farm gate is an invitation esp if there are no signs. But if you go about your riding in pairs and don,t roost out the petunias you are good to go mostly.The real secret is don't kiss and tell it doesn't work on women or riding areas.