I'll Have Two Please?

gizza5

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct Atom Ant, it is not for sale, I was just using it to make a point here!

The sister bike to mine, OLH 721 won the 1954 SSDT (rider: Artie Ratcliffe). The TRW Montesa is Dabill's 2007 SSDT winning bike, in 50 years time someone, somewhere would want to have it, don't you think?

Or am I just being a sentimental old duffer?

Big John

You could always shove your 9 grand away in the bank and in 50 years time it could be worth ........errrrr.........errrrrrrr........about 450 quid if the bank is still in business.

OK - you might have a point :huh:

I reckon the value of OLH 721 today would be worth much more than that 4rt over the same period. The reason for this I believe is there is still bikes like this being ridden today so the interest is there. Coupled with (up until recently anyway) more disposable income so people pay a lot of money for bikes like this. I offered a sizable chunk for it myself but BJ turned me down :huh: . This would have meant the bike's value had increased 40+ times. Would you pay circa

Another point worth mentioning

a factory bike in the good old days was just that,it was probably about six or seven years old when it was retired,and all through its life it was cotinually improved.

a modern factory bike is only a couple of months old ,then most of the special parts are on the next production model

the budgets on modern works bikes are more than the entire running costs of our entire bike industry.

but if you want something and can aford it then it does't matter what anyone else thinks go for it,

if we bought bikes to make money we would be verry poor indeed

if we bought bikes to make money we would be verry poor indeed

I have never ever bought a bike to make money, purely to enjoy riding it and owning it.

Mind you the way things have been going over the last seven days, I am beginning to wonder if my entire fortune is going to be based within trials bikes of yesteryear! Oh well, batten down the hatches....

Anyway OLH722 stays where it is.

Big John

Me and my Dad enjoying OLH722 way back in January 1958! (That's me looking down, trying to figure out which lever is the valve-lifter...)

post-26-1223471603.jpg

Edited by Big John