Week 88 - Lakes And 'rakes

Andy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points this week Mike and the format of the BTC and WTC will need addressing sooner rather than later, can't really think of any other sports where the championship is decided with 1/2 a dozen entrants!!! let alone survive?

Traditional type trials are popular with entries and it dosn't matter who turns up they will always get a winner. Sometimes it is harder riding an easy trial than the other way round, of course the top boys prefer the sections harder because if they do make an error it is possible to make the deficet back up.

You will never please the Minority.................but you could please the Majority

Some good points this week Mike and the format of the BTC and WTC will need addressing sooner rather than later, can't really think of any other sports where the championship is decided with 1/2 a dozen entrants!!! let alone survive?

Traditional type trials are popular with entries and it dosn't matter who turns up they will always get a winner. Sometimes it is harder riding an easy trial than the other way round, of course the top boys prefer the sections harder because if they do make an error it is possible to make the deficet back up.

You will never please the Minority.................but you could please the Majority

But it is the minority that it is aimed at.

Whilst trials like the lakes and many other Nationals cater for the top 50 (80), there is only the BTC which caters for the top tenish.

I honestly believe that more of the top riders would ride a foreign Championship if the BTC were a one lap 40 section national ability event.

The BTC is very similar to the one in Spain Italy and France, and my guess is that they accept low entries as part and parcel of a series for the upper echelons of each countries sport.

I really don't think we can turn the clock back to the seventies when I finished a couple of BTC's, simply because the novice riders haven't got any better, but the top riders have. The gap is bigger year on year and all the extra classes even at your own club trials are down to the ever widening range of abilities.

Why shouldn't the best riders in the country have a tough and challenging series?

It is a stepping stone to WTC and the way it has brought on riders like Challoner and Wigg through riding 125's on the expert course, and Morphet and Richardson in the youths is a fantastic stepping stone and should be applauded.

Whether it could be eased back a little to include more riders and increase viability is probably correct but any other course of action would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Fact:- the WTC and to some extent the BTC is beyond most but it is the pinacle of our sport and is what inspires the young and talented trials youths of our country, surely.

The BTC is very similar to the one in Spain Italy and France, and my guess is that they accept low entries as part and parcel of a series for the upper echelons of each countries sport.

or they have been sucked in over the years, bit like following Sheep!

Maybe they can run a championship with a few riders, but for how long? or is it doomed for indoors where you get a stadium full of paying punters to fund the Circus?

Bangor & USA are off, Why? clubs finding it unviable or using the USA as an example too much $$$$$'s to send the riders, mechanics, minders, managers, factory reps, wardrobe, etc, etc...................

Edited by GIZZA5

I agree with Dabster on this. The BTC is probably the ONLY trial series in the country that can suitably challenge the very best riders to a level that matches what they would see at WTC level. In relation to the BTC's viability, I believe the ACU are addressing the small entries by inclusion of a Masters series.

But it is the minority that it is aimed at.

Aimed at the minority of spectators or Riders or both.

Problem is the people in control will guide it the way they want,even though it's the wrong way.The wrong way does'nt get mine and many others money as spectator's,people bang on about how can we make Trials richer,i wonder what the problem is?

Bangor & USA are off, Why? clubs finding it unviable or using the USA as an example too much $$$$$'s to send the riders, mechanics, minders, managers, factory reps, wardrobe, etc, etc...................

Neither. I believe the USA Organisers had a change of heart regarding the suitability of the venue and as for Bangor, well that's a saga unto itself!

I agree with Atomant and Dabster, now that must be some kind of TC record. There needs to be a British Championship that tests the riders of the highest ability as preparation, training for the WTC events and this needs to be coupled with another class such as the Masters, to increase the number of competitors.

I am unsure as to why Bangor and the USA are off next year, possibly is regarding viability of the event and the current economic climate, however I have seen enough WTC events over the years ran by local clubs with limited facilities, but aided by the backing of the countries respective National Motorcycling Organisations.

There is an easy cure to suit everyone.

1 Leave the British championship as it is. If the few want it like this then so be it.

2 Run a no-stop traditional British championship series. 5 or 6 rounds using good road trials that exist already. I am sure there are plenty of clubs who would want to run a round.

Might be worth a try and everyone is happy.

Are we going to get to the point where the people riding the Brit Champs are the one's riding it, or families thereof?

We've got the land for a British, but I've got to admit, for the number of riders it attracts I "can't be 4rsed".

It's a lot of work for a bit of kudos which I don't really care for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these awkward buggers opposed to something I'm nothing to do with. If the British Champs can carry on the way it's going, then it doesn't affect me, and good luck to it. I do wonder though, as the general trend around here seems to be busy people managing to give up slightly less time for trials, and people with slightly less 'cash to splash' - can things carry on the way they are?

Edit: I should add to this (as it does seem a bit miserable) that we had considered trying to get a British round, and getting in a little help to lay out the right level, so I'm one of the ones that possibly could, but probably won't. I'm in no way anti-BTC, but still stayed out of it, despite having land that really should be used to it's potential.

Edited by bikespace

1 Leave the British championship as it is. If the few want it like this then so be it.

2 Run a no-stop traditional British championship series. 5 or 6 rounds using good road trials that exist already. I am sure there are plenty of clubs who would want to run a round.

Tell me why on top of classic (incl 0ver 50 and over40) sammy novogar (incl 125 and over 40) trailbike expert and full btc we need another championship?

We'll run one, make a date in your diary, our round is most likely going to be on the 24th of October 2009.

Some good points there John, but is it sustainable? or shall we wait and see what the FIM do about it and then follow their moves, if they get it wrong at least we can blame their format, which is indirectly what we are saying now, because that isn't working.

Looking at the Championship riders lets see Dougie may do a few more rounds next year, Graham may defend his title or will he be doing more Enduros? the definates are Michael Brown, Wiggy, Shaun Morris, Sam Haslam, Ross Danby you may get a few more make up the numbers i.e Craig Robinson, Gerge Morton etc.

Who will come up from the Championship Class ........no one - Joe Baker (I think he tried it once), Ben Hemmo, Dan Thorpe, Liam Walker (came back down) look at the list as you go further down it no one will be coming up, Jack Challoner is the only possibility so it seems we have the British Championship for 6 or 7 riders for the immediate future.

If clubs are prepared to put a BC on for this then good luck to them, but I can see it disappearing and then it will be back to the Drawing Board, again my opinion, no whinging, no point scoring it is an open debate in a Democratic Society.........

Edited by GIZZA5