mick

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone tried the Dunlops ?

Dunlops are better than Mitas and Pirelli but not quite as good as Michelin. We don't get IRC here in OZ so I don't know about them.

It's pretty simple as someone else said: You get what you pay for. If you want rim protectors buy a cheap tyre. If you want to win in competition, buy the best. When the others start making tyres as good as Michelin, their price will go up to suit.

Marky, isn't it a little strange that you can tell which tyre is best yet probably all the top 15 in the country use Michelins?

IRC are the way to go in mud but on dry grippy rocks a michelin is better.

Unless you have done a scientific experiment its difficult to pin down the difference, on intermediate going and then theres muddy rocks rocky mud rocks with mud imbetween and then rocks like bracken which get slippier the more they are ridden. An IRC is best in ALL of those?

For your average rider on a budget the best tyre has to be the one that holds its edge and shape for longest. I like IRC best because the blocks stay sound and do'nt start to break up when youve turned the tyre, like it does on the Michelin. For an intermediate rider I do'nt think you will notice a difference in performance between the Michelin, Dunlop or IRC. The IRC has the best balance between durability and a compound that gives plenty grip. The top guys ride Michelin because the company deals with the big manufacturers and because there use is encouraged by importers and dealers.

Since my return to trials a few of years ago I've only had Michelin's and IRC so forgive my ignorance - Which Pirelli is it? Are we talking MT43 or is there a tubeless Pirelli as well.

I'd seriously think about it. If I have 4 michelins a year I can have 6 Pirelli's.

New edge every month - luxury :)

The one I've got on at the moment i did the Manx 2 day on. Can't tell whether it's Michelin or IRC at the moment.

well okay ,

I have a new Dunlop 801 on me scoot . One Trial on it .

Dry and dusty with sharp cut rocks . No cuts and still got sharp edges .

Haven't had a chance yet for slippy stuff , so just wondering if anyone has had them a go ?

I've cut a some Michies and I have had good luck with IRC (Luck O tha Draw ? )

Seems same price as as Michliens , so don't know if I bought into something ?

Anyway . no problems yet , but we'll keep an eye on it .

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

As a couple of you have said whether a tyre would make that amount of difference for my level of riding I'm not sure.

Just checked Dave Renham's website (www.bultacouk.com) and as he stocks IRC's I might try one of these, as he's just round the corner I won't have to trek for miles or pay delivery costs.

Cheers

Mick

Most of the top runners use michelin, with the exception of a few, very good riders, who often challenge fot the top berth, mr, phillipson and austy i belive use dunlops, as do most of the beta team. Yes some tires suit different conditions and they all have a completely different feel to them. It will usually take quite a number of weeks to adjust to a new make of tyre.