3.2 Vs 2.9

sherpa

I am seriously considering a 2009 3.2. I've had a new 2.9 almost every year since 1999 and each year I have been impressed more and more with the changes. My only fear each time I sell my old bike is that the next one might not measure up to the last. You can only imagine what im thinking now changing to a four stroke. Have any of you out there gone through this already? And how did it work out for you?

What are the major diferences you have experienced, positive and negative points?

I would appreciate any comments.

I just went from a '08 2.9 to a '09 3.2. I prefer the 3.2. While it has plenty of power I find it easier to ride and it hooks up much better. Weight also isn't much of an issue with the 3.2. For some it does take a while to adapt to a 4t, but for me it was easy. I have a harder time going back to a 2t. I would recommend to switch.

I think if you are well adapted to a standard 2.9 and have no problems with the power, you would love a 3.2! They are great fun to ride!

The engine braking takes some adjustment!

As a crap rider, I do de-tune my 2.9's to suit! My current '07 is Butter smooth, and although the 4T is gentile and smooth off the bottom, they do get to be a handfull as the throttle opens up, and much more power than I need, so disgression is advised, probably NOT the best novice bike!

A good advanced/expert rider will love it! And I say this as even though I would like one to play with, I have neither the time or money to transform this thing into a more rideable steed for ME! Seems the '05 4T was much gentler to begin with. And although there have been ideas spread between the clan to develop a more gentile (read 250-270cc) bike, I see no such thing happening in the near future.

All said, they are Bad Ass, Cool, and Fun! :thumbup:

hey

i have a 2007 (engine is not 100% stock)

perfect bike for me (had an 4rt) light, powerfull, a lot of grip, good clutch smooth engine with a lot of top end power (not a beginners bike but a 2.9 isn't eather) it took me 3 weeks to ride it as good as my mont and than it only went better.

regards bob

I asked Graham Jarvis at the Sherco test day at Hook Woods recently which one he preferred the 290 or the 320. He was very non committal, sometimes one was better sometimes the other he thought. He said he rode the 290 in The Scott recently because it was a long day and it was the lighter bike.

I also had a new 2.9 for several years in a row. I did not have a trials bike for a couple of years and decided it was time for another one, after reading s lot about the 3.2 I went for it and got an 08, it was a World Round minders bike and was in excellent condition. I was absolutely amazed, it was a true joy to ride, good strong linear power, excellent traction, as my youngest son said, it instills confidence in the rider because it will just go anyplace. It does not seem to care which gear it is in, it just pulls like a bloody tractor. I sold the 08 and have an 09 on order, it is currently on board a freighter heading this way, I hope to have it in 3 or 4 weeks.

You do have to learn how to start a 4 stroke and you also must change the engine oil on a regular basis.

I HIGHLY recommend the 4t.

Wayne

the 4t is a blast to ride, loads of power, not sure it would improve an average riders performance, but will help an expert rider. i had all but decided to get one, but decided to give the 301 kit a try, don't know why sherco isn't producing the 301 cause it's great and quite different from the 290 (272). maybe sherco doesn't want it competing with the 320 sales? hmmm. can't go wrong with the 4t unless you need to tone the power down a bunch, if you do then stick with the flexible 2t.

cheers

the 4t is a blast to ride, loads of power, not sure it would improve an average riders performance, but will help an expert rider. i had all but decided to get one, but decided to give the 301 kit a try, don't know why sherco isn't producing the 301 cause it's great and quite different from the 290 (272). maybe sherco doesn't want it competing with the 320 sales? hmmm. can't go wrong with the 4t unless you need to tone the power down a bunch, if you do then stick with the flexible 2t.

cheers

Just wondering about the 301 kit borus - how much and where to get one?

The dealer here in Aus knows nothing about them from the factory.

Just wondering about the 301 kit borus - how much and where to get one?

The dealer here in Aus knows nothing about them from the factory.

they're good to work with but you have to work through the language barrier - it's not just a simple bolt onclick me

cheers

bob

I really wouldn't bother with a 320, i've ridden one & a load of other people have who i know & they all hated it, all it does is just wheelspin & viberate like hell.

go for a 290 instead, i would anyday over a 320

that's just my opinion, but it's up to you what you buy.

Ben.

I really wouldn't bother with a 320, i've ridden one & a load of other people have who i know & they all hated it, all it does is just wheelspin & viberate like hell.

Ben.

Maybe you should instruct Caby on all this newly found info?

Bou may need some tips on the big bore 4T as well!

Adam will be OK for now, I think! :thumbup:

Ben.

both are excellent, just different, nice to have choice to suit your needs

to me the 4t feels heavier, more power, more torque, less ability to adjust power (tame it), i probably will make the switch some day, i find the 301 a great stop gap as it brings more torque and controllable power, kinda fits in between the two.

cheers

Edited by borus

Ben.

I have owned many 2.9's and one 3.2 and have a new 3.2 on order. I completely disagree with the above comment.

My 08 did not vibrate or have "wheelspin". everyone who rode it loved it!

Wayne