Swing Arm Problems

ham2

Yes Tom,

I had heard that the likes of Raga and the other 'big-hitters' had declined to use the magnesium type swing arm .

Anyhow,back to the video,this swing arm is not the gold colour that is fitted to the Raga reps??

You know, that common magnesium colour..err..gold..??

Click on the word * Brittle * in my original post and that should link you to a video of some unlucky Spaniard :thumbup:

Thanks, don't know how I missed that... I must be new with computers or something.

Oddly it looks like the same spot in the swingarm that broke on Billy Burns ISDE 300EC. Maybe cast alloy isn't such a great idea for a swingarm,

or frame members period, like the Suzuki GSXR frame thats known for breaking.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that... I must be new with computers or something.

Oddly it looks like the same spot in the swingarm that broke on Billy Burns ISDE 300EC. Maybe cast alloy isn't such a great idea for a swingarm,

or frame members period, like the Suzuki GSXR frame thats known for breaking.

Depends on the alloy and how much the designers allow as a margin weight v strength. Frequently weight is reduced and reduced untill something breaks, then they go back a step.

A good blow on a pointy object would be like hitting a brick with a chisel to a cast piece. Not quite the same effect on aluminum or steel tubing. I can see using cast pieces where there isn't much chance of flex, but quality of todays cast pieces seem to be going downhill don't you think? Some KTM950's are breaking the case around the kickstand mount too, and I've seen some horrible castings on some Huskie parts.

Given that these swingarms take a tremendous pounding on a regular basis on thousands of bikes, My bet would be that this could be traced to is a casting defect.

I think they break where the stand bolts are, first. Thats where ross's did in Spain a few years back I think. mag tho that one

just because I bought a new bike and you havent you have to go and post this

well thanks a lot mate :)

:thumbup: I can't deny that I'm a tad jealous but I'd be very,very jealous if your bike had a 'minus 50% power' button on it.