Gg 2005 300 Problems Starting

ianj

MotoMax,

I was going to reply with the same answer. My friend has an 03 and the same thing happened . It would run fine in a section. Hit the trail, it would start starving, etc. He checked jetting, carb etc. Finally pulled petcock apart and the rubber seal was offset slightly. No problems thereafter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian

I think i reported the same starting problem with my new 300 pro earlier this year on TC. When I got the bike it was a B*tard to start. Down at the TC trials (first trial from new 1 day old) I stood kicking the thing for ages after each stop. Perce started it no problems but with one hell of a kick. I slowly got used to this huge kick after setting TDC and it got better but more importantly it has continued to get easier to start every time I ride it. It's almost easy now though I dread the day I have to try and start it mid section after a stall. I think the bike has loosened off a lot and my tecnique has got better. I'm not sure about the hill problems though it does sound like float level or some such but the starting should get better with time.

I still love the bike. Power is great and the grip unreal.

Hi all,

UPDATE:-

My mate has decided he doesn't want the bike anymore.......along with the "easy one minute/hard the next" serious starting problems he also says he can't get to grips with the ride compared to his old Sherco.

He's stopped riding it and is due to swap/sell it soon.

Personally, I like the bike to ride better than the 290 Sherco.....same power, but I liked the ride better. A taste thing I guess.

I think it's a sad day for GasGas......I think they have quality control and/or design problems with the 2005 bikes if this whole episode is any measure. I'm obviously not the first to hear/read/experience the starting problem issues and when I do get around to buying a new bike again I will be seriously put off buying GasGas because of all this. A pity!

:o

Ian.

Just as everyones was telling me the 04 Pro was sorted, I read this about the 05 model :o

Hopefully its a one off, I was thinking about getting one, but I think I'll wait a while longer to see if anymore "Friday afternoon" bikes slip through the net. :lol:

I know there's probably loads of GG out there that are ok but knowing my luck I'd end up with a bad un!.

Edited by Marky G

Ian J did your friend buy from a reputable dealer?

Nearly every one i have spoken to about Gas gas who bought one from White Bros has had a proper PDI and no problems other than general wear and tear.

Are sherco, montesa and beta subject to grey imports too?

Never seem to hear their dealer networks complaining about it.

Hi,

UPDATE:-

My pal was tempted to keep the bike and decided to give it another week to think about it......try starting it every day and just see how it responded.

Well, it's DEFINITELY going back now......he was out in the shed the other night and tried to start it up......the kick start broke off.

I hereby put forward my pal's 2005 GasGas 300 Pro for "Lemon of the year".........applause pls..........thankyou.

Ian.

• 6 months later...
had this problem on my gg, it ended up being the wood ruff key on the fly wheel, it shered, it ment the timing wasnt right, which made it ahrd to start and some times didnt respond very well  :hyper:

i have experienced this with my beta, first we thought it was the plug but then realized that iwt was the wood ruff key.

My dealer warned me about this when I was thinking about buying me 300.

And it was a ba***rd to start, a proper ball ache! :hyper:

Someone said the reeds are toght when they are new, I whipped some new ones in and it starts first kick everytime and has'nt missed a beat! :D

But, at the same time, it should not be down to the customer to rectify the problems! It should be dealt with before they are released. The kickstart problems happened on most of the early '05's!

I personally always buy used bikes and am used to the fact that i have to go deep into the bike to get things working again to specs.

But then buying a new bike and discovering it has got a flaw like ... not running like it shld. That is a real pain.

It is sad though that he has made up his mind in buying a other bike. Now we will probably never know what was wrong with it.

Had problems with my 300 pro in the beginning too, changed the plug and learned that they kick start right at the very end of the kick, ie: if you kick from top, you just tire yourself out.

Kick the bike over with the kick start almost 3/4 of the way down with the choke on and it starts first or second kick.

GG recommend that the air mixture screw be 3-1/2 turns out, I run mine at 3 turns out and 80:1 mixture and it runs fine. :lol: