Grippiest Bike?

5again

No, the SY175 is not really 175cc, yet! Only my theory, but I think you may see it continue to grow with the stroker kit that is now available from Scorpa. Hopefully, they will begin installing those at the factory soon, as they have the bore kit.

To be perfectly honest, we are not yet sure of the exact displacement on the SY175. The Scorpa website has a little note about a 143cc. Bob Ginder, at B&J has been doing development on the 143cc kit and is currently in the process increasing that even further.

We do know that the factory has both the 143cc and 150cc kits, and in addition have the stroker cranks. The various combinations have been tested, which I am sure most of you have seen reference to on TodoTrial.

Hopefully, I will get all of the exact details soon, and will be able to update the TryalsShop website accordingly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....rode nice, thing that struck me was the thing vibrated a fair bit!!

I have owned a 02, 03, and 04 SY250. Whatever vibration you were feeling is not normal. That Yamaha engine is one of the smoothest packages going.

Maybe he had an engine bolt coming loose :o I didn't like to say anything to the owner in case he took it the wrong way.

I noticed it most as I hooked it up through the gears on the way back to the car park, would p*** me off on a road trial.

The thing I do like about the Scorpa and the Mont is that Jap Engine design, you just don't beat them at that.

Edited by Marky G

This seems like the Scorpa is coming out pretty universally as a good grippy machine, I've only watched a few in action, and must admit they do impress. Little suprised to not see the Sherco 290 being favoured here, especially as they seem very popular in Southern uk events.

Thanks for your feedback everybody!

I like the look of the 315R, but some guy told me there "Hard to ride"!!!...whatever that means :o

The Montesa 315 R is a wonderful bike, and I think it's easy to ride. I find it hard not to gush too much about how great it is. I think people get tired of hearing people yammer on about how much they love their Montesas. The question was about grip. Never mentioned the other aspects of the sport of trialing. Jay L.

Edited by JayLael

OK you guys:

I've read this thread from the beginning, listening quite closely to see peoples different perspective's. I have ridden a Scorpa, but never enough to give a good opinion. I do think, that like most of the bikes today the are very good! I ride one of the much malined 02 GGPro 280's. In my humble opinion it has the best motor out of all the Pro's ever built so far! It is what it say's, a Pro! It is built for an expert rider! In all my years of riding trials, (too many to mention) I have been in pursuit of tuning an engine to perform like the one in my bike! The only mod I have done from stock is to move the footpegs back 1/2 inch. This is crucial in my opinion! My brother also has a 02GG and we both agree that it has the best engine we have ever ridden. It is also good to note that my brother and I are long time Beta guys. He had a Rev3 up until 02. We also agree that our bikes grip better and deliver ferocious power better than any bike we have ever ridden! I must also add that I did ride a new Beta 270 Rev and it was the first of any Rev3 I really liked!!! It had an excellent motor and fantastic suspension. But, I feel that my particular model of GG is a real advantage in the hands of a good expert!

Cheers, Steve

Edited by Steve Fracy

I agree. The pro is also a terrific bike. I wonder how you manage to get around the reliability issues. I know you ride and don't just "have" a trials bike so, do tell Steve, have you guys had any reliability issues with these bikes? My neighbor has one also and he rides very little, (of course he loves it) but I have seen so many of these with broken shifter internals, clutch drag, and overheating that it truly scares me to consider one.

I agree. The pro is also a terrific bike. I wonder how you manage to get around the reliability issues. I know you ride and don't just "have" a trials bike so, do tell Steve, have you guys had any reliability issues with these bikes? My neighbor has one also and he rides very little, (of course he loves it)  but I have seen so many of these with broken shifter internals, clutch drag, and overheating that it truly scares me to consider one.

hey Jay, qoute: The question was about grip. Never mentioned the other aspects of the sport of trialing. Jay L.

:o:lol:

As this is about grip I felt I had to mention tyres! In my opinion the state of your rear tyre has far far more to do with grip than the bike. I agree that the Scorpa has great power delivery for finding grip, but how good would it be with a slightly worn back tyre compared to anything else that had a brand new one on.

I practice and ride club trials on 'worn' tyres (i.e. they hardly have nobbles on them) for two reasons. One, I simply cant afford to replace a rear tyre every month and two it makes you learn how to find grip in muddy sections in an environment where it doesn't matter if you five. However, it is annoying when you cant get up something and then some little kid comes along with two brand new tyres on and flies up it. The point i am tryting to make is a new tyre makes a hell of a lot more difference to grip than the bike, although I do agree that the SY and Rev-3 are the best at finding grip.

Just as a little sub-topic, could some one please explain to me how pouring some rubber into a tyre shaped mould can possibly cost

I'm impressed that everybody is staying on the 'grip' thread.

To Steve Fracy, good to see a GG Pro fan comment on its abilities, but I'm curious, have you ridden later 280's even the 300 we have here, supposedly they have made that motor have less of a hit, I would of expected that to make it more of a gripper, with equal rider and tyres.

I also agree that tyres are a huge factor, but given that I try to squeeze a year out of every rear tyre, club trials only, then an intrinsically grippier bike would make a difference. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

My 250 Pro is very easy to spin out... but that will mainly be down to the rider!! Have you seen Steve Saunders in the mud on his Pro.. amazing stuff.

Steve Saunders is the daddy in the mud bar none....Where the hell the guy finds grip form is beyond me! seeing him ride mud is amazing.

Kind of staying on the subject... Did Yamaha import the TYZ Pinky to the US? We've got a bunch of the t/s TY's and the mono TY's, but I haven't seen any Pinkys. One thing that can be said about Yamaha is that they build a bulletproof motor.

To 5again:

Yes I have ridden both a current 280 and a 300 with the Raga ignition settings! Very different from my bike and especially the engine! I guess for ME, I still prefer the 02 engine. Like I said in my earlier post, I beleive it is really a Pro motor! There is no doubt that the current models are more rider friendly which indeed will help sell more bikes to a broader variety of people! Heath, if you do the footpeg mod I told you about, you will notice a huge difference, especially if you are a taller rider!

Cheers, Steve