Ssdt The Next 100 Years

overthehill

Generally a good move I think , the atmosphere of west end has diminished largely due to lack of accesability despite it being "in the town". I've griped about this before (vis big tents and covered /secret servicing lack of parking etc.) As everybody has pointed out the main concerns are for primarily competitors beang able to easily get to and from thier digs and to keep the townsfolk and commerce involved. The arguments are all above in one form or another. From personal experience riding classic multi day events abroad the club/local council organise shuttle buses AND promote free nightly shows or arena trials for primarily the locals which have top riders and some "wildcards (paid I have to say..by results would be good) culminating in firworks show etc etc at end of the week. Thinking along these lines may open other opportunities for the main event. With a little positive attitude a move like this could be very good for all concerned. Finally all credit to Mark for inviting comment etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I just spent 5 minutes adding my 3 halpence worth in wrong forum.. typical..Anyway. I think its a positive move on balance. With a start area as described it opens many opportunities to enhance the trial provided the concerns voiced above are dressed i.e easy acces to and from for riders spectators. I have ridden several ssdt and many "similar" multi day trails abroad where the club & local council have got together and provided shuttle buses AND show arena trial free in the evenings, culminating in e.g a firework show , speeches from the mayor etc. These events pay small start money and also by results to top riders and wildcards enable traders to keep on selling etc. With a little imagination and the space many simiar "sideshows" bicycle trials...balancing competitions...food beer..talent shows.. local bands ..scratch bands from competitors can involve many more people. I.m not saying these things are neccesary but they do make for good atmosphere for all interested parties. Finally all credit to Mark and the club for airing the proposal.

Glad you are listening Mairi and that the move is not a done deal.

It's easy to discredit my comments by suggesting they are cynical when, perhaps, they are just a little too near to the mark?

Have since worked out who you are, so I'll revoke the cynical comment! :D

BTW, I wasn't intending to discredit anyone, I was just telling it like it is...methinks you're giving us too much credit here, we're not nearly as fly as you think we are, you should know us better than that by now!!

Keep the comments coming, and for those who will be relatively anonymous to us, it would be handy if you could let us know whether or not you regularly attend the trial. Things have changed a lot in recent years, so it's useful to know what background you're basing your thoughts on. That doesn't mean we only want to hear from you if you come along every year - we need comments from all aspects of the trials world, it's all much appreciated.

I have had a skim through some of the replies, although not all, and am very surprised that no-one has made a comment about the practicalities of having to get to the out of town venue from the hotel. For those of us that can't take all our families up there for the whole week, and therefore have to get to the start under our own steam this would create a logistical headache. Normally I stay in town and walk to the start all kitted up. Is the proposal that instead we would all need to drive to the start and leave our cars there? I also agree with the comments about atmosphere etc - less people would travel into FW at night to populate the bars and pubs and it would definitely lose much of its atmosphere. So - my vote is please , please don't move out of town!

Two bits from a future competitor. I have since my youth wanted to ride the Sottish Six Days and am now putting together a group to do just that in 2011. I have never been to Scotland, but offer these thoughts: To move the centre on the event out of town would be a mistake, this has happened where I live, and it has only resulted in greatly diminshed spectator and participant numbers; spectators often being the future of the sport.

What does Fort William think? Do they want the event moved out of town?

Spencer

Two bits from a future competitor. I have since my youth wanted to ride the Sottish Six Days and am now putting together a group to do just that in 2011. I have never been to Scotland, but offer these thoughts: To move the centre on the event out of town would be a mistake, this has happened where I live, and it has only resulted in greatly diminshed spectator and participant numbers; spectators often being the future of the sport.

What does Fort William think? Do they want the event moved out of town?

Spencer

Will you not come if they move the parc ferme ?

Opinion appears to be split. I hinted at my opinion on the subject in my previous post, but in case it is not clear I would be firmly against decentralisation of the SSDT. The Mountain bike event, (and almost certainly the future World championship trial), will attract many more visitors than the SSDT making out of an town centre of administration essential, Fort William would find it impossible to handle the numbers. Fortunately the SSDT is still able to dovetail into the community, in my opinion a great advantage. It is important to note that the town and car park has stood up to greater pressure from attendance in the past, recently numbers of visitors have noticeably diminished, why consider a move now when it was not essential 10 years ago. If I had a say on the committee I would recommend that a presence in the town was a huge plus point and key to maintaining the status and reputation of the event.

At the risk of putting some ones back up I venture to suggest that the car park could be better managed, as a non competitor I have always managed to ease my way in to park, adding to the congestion. Please take a leaf out of the MTB events book where access is a privilege, issue competitors with a prominent window sticker permitting access, charge them if necessary, if a competitor does not require vehicle access then no pass

Edited by Fred_Savage

ps:

How on earth can the SSDT benefit immeasurably from the promotion of the World round in Fort William?

...because if the the WTC rounds are promoted and publicised properly there's every reason to hope that the SSDT will benefit in terms of spectators and increased media attention, don't we all want that???

I would also like to suggest that machine examination was carried out in the same area as the finish. This would remove the temptation competitors to park and over congest the West End car park on

I'd also like to add to Freds comments & suggest that Trials HQ should move downtown to a central venue, this could then could create a place for officials, riders & spectators to gather each evening whilst waiting for results. HL could even lay on some entertainment. :D

Edited by PERCE

Have since worked out who you are, so I'll revoke the cynical comment! :D

Top diplomacy HL, I almost feel guilty now!

I just can't bear the thought of the drive into Fort Wiliam on the Saturday afternoon without the sight of the flags, bikes and paraphernalia that is the Park Ferme.

You know that you have arrived at the SSDT and the hairs stand up on the back of you neck.

I'm getting emotional thinking about it!

MM

Edited by wizardofos

I just can't bear the thought of the drive into Fort Wiliam on the Saturday afternoon without the sight of the flags, bikes and paraphernalia that is the Park Ferme.

You know that you have arrived at the SSDT and the hairs stand up on the back of you neck.

I'm getting emotional thinking about it!

We may have only been a couple of times over the last few years but there's a feeling you get when seeing the flags etc that you just can't descride if it was to be moved then there wouldn't be the excitement of driving into the fort in my opinion :D

Will you not come if they move the parc ferme ?

Very little could stop me from coming to this event, in fact the traditional trails practiced in the British Isles is something that I would like to bring to Canada. I am currently working on a single loop, one day, 30 section, mountain trial (400ft-3500ft-1500ft-5500ft-500ft elevation change) to be unveiled to the brave of heart and strong of body within the next 12 months.

Visit this site to see pictures of the venue http://www3.telus.net/andrewdb/ look for pictures of Britannia Beach and the Goat (mountain ridge)

Spencer

Here goes - I attended the SSDT as a young lad from about age 8 - 11, and i used to beg dad every night to go to the paddock to see the riders getting there bikes ready for the next day. So we parked up by the imperial and i cycled down whilst dad chased me - fast forward about 12 years and i competed for the first time and dad followed me round, and came to the paddock on a night to make sure his lad got his bike back in each day, i guess he was just doing what his dad did for him, but this time for me. fast forward to the last couple of years - he never even came to watch, and i managed all on my own, obviously Sandifords must take all the credit!!

Now i'm getting to the point - The trial must stay in Fort William, if it moves does the parc ferme run the risk of being just another circus on the trials scene,

I have only ever ridden the trial out of the west end parking lot, for me it would be a shame to move it.

So it was a bit misty this year and the view may of been restricted, but it's a grand place in nice weather.

That first pint after a long day of riding has to be taken within five minutes of ending the day, or it's just isn't the same.

A load of trials enthusiasts crammed into the west end car park make for a busy and hectic situation, but they also add the flavor that is the SSDT, spread them out and they will all hide in their own little corner,

My opinion is based on what I think I would prefer, nowt more than that.

I think we should stay in the west end car park and are perhaps looking at this form the wrong perspective so heres an idea.

restrict access to the traders and factory trucks but use an out of town parking facility and run a shuttle to get people (spectators) in during weigh in day. The main problem I see is that spectators cant get parked on the Sunday, the bikes and factory trucks fit in the car park no problem.

I like the idea of moving the scrutineering so its more visable but people could then make adjustments between scrutineering and the parc ferme ?

for me the town and trial would lose out if we moved out of the west end car park