Fantic 125cc In 80cc Frame?

stevecarter1000

Some years ago I bought what I was told was a Fantic 200 with a 125cc engine. I've stripped it for a general tidy-up and found that the frame has been repaired by the headstock and had some webs (badly) welded in. The welding has (I think) obscured some of the frame number but it clearly says:

FANTIC 430

DGM OM

(The 'OM' bit is quite a bit to the right of the 'DGM' - it's actually past the 430 bit but for some reason it doesn't matter how many times I press the space bar when I compose this post, the actual posted version takes them all out and puts the 'OM' right next to the 'DGM').

Whether there's further numbers under the welded section - dunno.

Also - the down tube comes out of the headstock parallel with the main frame spine but then angles down to the sump guard. In the 'square' that is formed by the top spine, the headstock and the downtube there are factory welded (I presume) strengthening webs. All the other 200 frames that I've seen don't feature this - the down tube comes out of the headstock at an immediate angle and there is a cylindrical bar welded between the downtube and main spine tube.

Anyway - looking up Fantic 430 on the internet seems to suggest that it's an 80cc bike (FM430?).

Question - Is the '430' stamped on the frame the frame serial number and just a co-incidence that it says 430, or is it a frame from a 430 bike? If it's the 'wrong' frame I presume that it was an 80cc and at some point and it's had the 125cc engine put into it.

Question - Will getting a 200 frame make a huge difference or is there little to choose from them?

Any thoughts/comments aprreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by stevecarter1000

Hi Steve,

Fantic UK's Roy Cary had some 125 engines fitted into 80 frames in about 1979 or 1980. these bikes were called the lightweight 125 and were used by their supported schoolboy riders.

I am sure that the lightweight would have been available for sale as well but I do not know how many were sold. I do know that a mate of mine bought one second hand from a

supported rider and it was a very handy little bike, light on the front end and plenty of grip. looks like you have found a "special".

Ron

Edited by rontheyank

Thanks Ron, useful info, and bilc0, yep sure, although it's in bits at the moment. I'll get the frame photographed for you and post it on here.

Since posting this I've also had the head and block off it and they looks like it's a 156cc. So potentially a 160 in a 80 frame!!

The piston is pretty carbonised but it appears to have a capital 'B' stamped on it. Mean anything? I need a new ring for it.

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 year later...

i believe if its a 125cc the piston will be 55mm and if its a 156cc the piston will be a 62mm. i would guess that its a b piston as in middle sized they can come in a b and c sizes just out of interest do you have a full engine number as that might tell us a bit more think my 125 starts Fantic 450 someone may correct me on that if im wrong tho

The 125 & 200 pro's have a frame near same as the 240 , both are forward kick engines (156cc for the 200 pro) and (124.4cc for the 125 ) i'm not really sure if fantic put the bike into production or people just fitted the the 156cc top end to the 125 model , then called them the 200 pro ....

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve,

Fantic UK's Roy Cary had some 125 engines fitted into 80 frames in about 1979 or 1980. these bikes were called the lightweight 125 and were used by their supported schoolboy riders.

I am sure that the lightweight would have been available for sale as well but I do not know how many were sold. I do know that a mate of mine bought one second hand from a

supported rider and it was a very handy little bike, light on the front end and plenty of grip. looks like you have found a "special".

Ron

It was a great bike , Roy gave one to my Son , to do nationals , It was very competitive , BUT , It was not up to National strength , The frame started to sag , But i must say , for Club and fun trials , it took some beating , , The little forks , always seemed to leak oil , , alan PS , When we had one , we were told , only 6 were made , So hold on to it ,

• 2 months later...