Trials Accidents

ride_dirt

hi

last sunday i was at a local trials advent when i had a very nasty crash.

i was in 4th gear and wheelying through some open area to another trials spot when my rear wheel found a tree stump among all the debrey on the floor. this resulted in both feet bouncing off the pegs and me being dragged behind the bike with the throttle pinned open. i was unable to leg go off the bars and could see two trees straight ahead of me getting closer very quickly. unable to turn or brake i went straight into the tree with such extreame force the front end of the bike folded backward the crush the header piper. bottome yoke snapped and also the treads for the top nut completly stripped.

my body was thrown past the bike but my leg caught the exhaust silencer which took a lump of meat out of my thigh showing alot of tendants and muscle. not pretty.

so in conclusion i have a trials bike which is about a foot and a half shorter in length and complete damage all over.

i was wearing all the correct gear and amazingly i didnt touch my head at anypoint. the ambalance staff could not belive i was ok and concious and able to hobble to the ambulance.

i ended up with stiches in my leg and a cast on my hand as broke my thumb. so lucky im ok and still here.

im now off work for 6weeks so need cheering up and encouraged not to give up riding as its not just me who gets injured but part of learning.

let us know of your worst moments and the good endings.

andy

was in 4th gear and wheelying through some open area to another trials spot

Bad luck on the crash and injuries mate, get well soon. Some of the worst trials crashes and injuries are sustained travelling fast between sections. I think we all enjoy 'giving it some welly' when we get some space off road - but you have to choose the spot wisely.

Experience comes through mistakes and I have subsequently learned to ease off - anywhere near trees, over crests, in quarries and especially in long grass (my worse crash was into a fallen telegraph pole hidden by the grass growing just over it - VERY spectacular) :thumbup:

Just thinking from the environmentalist standpoint.......................................Didja hurt the tree??? :dunce:

Sounds like a HUGE ouch dude, heal quickly.

Don't give up trials: here is my logic.

You were injured on the trail, not in a section.

You were traveling fast and wheelying. That points to this being a Moto X or FMX injury. So stop the MX and FMX and just ride trials, you will be fine.

:crying:

Oh and with your bike now being a foot and a half shorter you won't need to hop the bike in those tight corners. GENIUS!!!! :thumbup:

OK I am being a Smart ass trying to cheer ya up.

Edited by ZIPPY

i didnt think about the hopping part but can see the upside in a shorter bike :thumbup:

i will be back on the bike when im fixed and the bike is.

just after some comfort from others about injurys as was only 3weeks ago i had a cast taken off my other hand after flipping the monty on a section. least its the other thumb broken this time. :crying:

Some of the worst trials crashes and injuries are sustained travelling fast between sections. I think we all enjoy 'giving it some welly' when we get some space off road - but you have to choose the spot wisely.

Experience comes through mistakes and I have subsequently learned to ease off - anywhere near trees, over crests, in quarries and especially in long grass (my worse crash was into a fallen telegraph pole hidden by the grass growing just over it - VERY spectacular) :thumbup:

my mate between sections

http://www.lets.de/Trialbilder/moto_0121.jpg

WARNING: The above link is not for the faint-hearted!

Edited by Andy
Ewww ! Gross!

Unlucky there, I had 6 months off recently from braking my wrist. If you ever feel you are loosing interest in trials while you are injured just go and watch or obeserve a trial and you will see what you are missing. It soon makes you want to jump back on you bike again.

Tree won! Not on a trials bike though, a WR450. Double concussion, broken wrist, t5, 6, 7, compression fractures in lower back. Off work 2 months back riding in the 3rd month. It was over the winter so didn't actually loose to much ride time! Happened Dec 1/07

SMDC0421-1.jpg

myxraysideprofile.jpg

SMDC0025.jpg

PC014197.jpg

SMDC0026.jpg

Edited by pillar

When I rode a couple to trials in South Africa and few years back I was told of fatality or double fatality between sections when two rider hit head on. I remember being told they weren't even going very fast.

Can one of the riders from Cape Town tell the whole story please.

We forget if it has wheels it can injure and kill end of story. About 10 years ago two trials riders were killed in my area when they collided out of section. So even trials riding can hurt even severly injure you. I have to say less than enduro and MX if you don't try big moves. Get well and good luck.

Ouch sounds sore mate - hope you get better soon!

I'm just about to get back on my bike aswell, broke my collar bone in March getting ready for the 6 days, 11 weeks later done it again.... I feel like i've forgotten how to ride!!